Assistant Chief Housekeeper - $.50 per day

jjb415

Recently on the Millennium, my first Celebrity sailing other that Azamara, I was a bit confused about guidelines of tipping the Assistant Chief Housekeeper the recommended 50 cents per day. My room attendant, Ardana, and the gentlemen that he introduced as assisant, Anak, did a fantastic job and took very good care of me for the week and everything was perfect concerning their work. Since I often travel solo, I usually tip more than the recommended amounts, but, understand that tipping is a personal thing and everyone has their own customs. This time, I didn't prepay tips. At the end of the trip at tipping time, I began to think about the Assistant Chief Housekeeper & "is that Anak, the man who was introduced as my attendant's assistant?" Anyway, long story short, I was told that the guidelines for Room Attendant should be shared by the Attendant and his assistant and the Assistant Chief Housekeeper is someone who is behind the scenes. Has anyone else been confused by this? I don't mind tipping, but, feel a bit strange tipping someone I never get to meet. I'm sure it is someone who makes my Room Attendant's jobs easier, and, in the end, I put the cash into the appropriate envelope and went on my merry way.

I haven't seen this topic discussed on these boards before and would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance. :)

Recently on the Millennium, my first Celebrity sailing other that Azamara, I was a bit confused about guidelines of tipping the Assistant Chief Housekeeper the recommended 50 cents per day. My room attendant, Ardana, and the gentlemen that he introduced as assisant, Anak, did a fantastic job and took very good care of me for the week and everything was perfect concerning their work. Since I often travel solo, I usually tip more than the recommended amounts, but, understand that tipping is a personal thing and everyone has their own customs. This time, I didn't prepay tips. At the end of the trip at tipping time, I began to think about the Assistant Chief Housekeeper & "is that Anak, the man who was introduced as my attendant's assistant?" Anyway, long story short, I was told that the guidelines for Room Attendant should be shared by the Attendant and his assistant and the Assistant Chief Housekeeper is someone who is behind the scenes. Has anyone else been confused by this? I don't mind tipping, but, feel a bit strange tipping someone I never get to meet. I'm sure it is someone who makes my Room Attendant's jobs easier, and, in the end, I put the cash into the appropriate envelope and went on my merry way.

I haven't seen this topic discussed on these boards before and would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance. :)

The Assistant Chief Housekeeper is basically the supervisor of the Steward and Stewardess and this has been discussed many times over the years although not recently. I believe Celebrity to be the only cruise line to add tips in for this type of supervisory position. Many have chose to tip him and many have not. I have always tipped this position because it has been said many times in the past that if you don't his tip is taken from the Steward. I prefer this not to happen and I can't say I'm crazy about it but I'm also not going to get stirred up over $.50 a day...

Thank you, I will add he is the guy who will come to your aid if you have a problem with the safe in your room.

Gee, we have had problems with our safe on other cruiselines and it didn't take an "Assistant Chief Housekeeper" to fix it, nor did the person whom they sent expect or receive a tip.:rolleyes: I also have to assume that room stewards on all lines are subject to some supervision but those supervisors are not part of the tipping scheme. It is a situation that seems to be exclusive to Celebrity and most of us have concluded that it isn't worth protesting and it is unfair to have the room steward penalized by not extending the fairly nominal tip.

Archived