Okay, I'm about to start packing...

summercruisin'

What am I likely to forget? We are going to Key West and Cozumel with a DS (7) and DD (18 months!). I haven't started packing, but we are nearing the 10-day mark. I'm afraid I'll forget something important, so y'all help me out!

Also, if you have any suggestions for excursions at either stop or ways I can convince DH we WILL survive travelling with the kiddies, we are open to them! :D

TIA!!

If your DD is picky about snacks you may want to bring her fave snack with you. Also, you may want to bring along some of the disposable snack bowls, spoons, cups. You know the ones I'm talking about - the ones that are bright colors and not too expensive. You can take the pre packaged cereal off of the ship with you for a quick snack for the kiddos.

As for excursions, I DS is a water lover - you could try Paradise Beach on Cozumel. They have a wide variety of water toys that *for about $10 per person* you or DH & DS could play on while the other parent plays with DD. I'm not sure about Key West - haven't made it there yet.

Go the first night to the Camp Carnival meeting - this way DS gets to meet the camp counselors and maybe make friends. Look over the schedule of activities with him and let him decide what he would like to do. You could take turns taking DD to the toddler play time in Camp Carnival - that way one parent gets a little extra down time. We are getting ready to travel with 3 girls (ages 5, almost 10 and almost 12) and 1 boy (age 6). I am going to start with the list of toys and games to make the trip semi - quiet. (am I crazy - I'm not sure!!)

Just read the bottom line of your list of cruises. Good luck with the cruise, DH & the kiddos! If you have room, pack some sand toys for the kids to play with. We spent more than $5 on a bucket and shovel on the kids first cruise!:eek: Live and learn I guess.

My packing list for cruising with our kids is stored on my computer. I update it each time for additional things we needed or didn't use. Also, I add the things that we need based on where we are going.

If you are interested, I would be happy to email you my packing list. Just give me your email address. :)

We stopped at Key West a year and a half ago. All of the cool stuff is within pretty easy walking distance of the ship, so there's not much point in paying the cruise company big bucks to put you on a bus for a 2 minute drive. Southernmost Point and Butterfly House are a LONG walk, but we did it with a 2 1/2 and almost 3 year old (in strollers), and two 8 year olds without any real problem except for being kinda hot -- but it was the end of June... There are buses/trams, too. We walked to Southernmost Point (passing the mile 0 marker for Route 1 on the way), then back to the Aquarium, stopped at a restaurant for lunch, and then the bigger kids went to the Pirate Soul Museum. The kids didn't get much out of the Southernmost Point, so if you're mostly planning with your kids in mind, I'd suggest the Butterfly house (didn't go as we've got a great one near us at home, but I heard it was really nice) and the aquarium (it's not huge or spectacular, but it's nice and the kids really liked it, especially the touch tank inside and the sea turtles and sharks outside) and maybe the Pirate Soul Museum for your DS (I didn't go to this, but my 8 year old DD and her friend LOVED it!).

HTH and let me know if you have any questions.

summercruisin': good luck on packing! how exciting! post back after your trip. We will be travelling with our 11 mo old girls and I would like to hear how things go with your 18 mo old.

seashell: how do you get to Paradise Beach - by taxi or did you walk?

In my opinion, a list is one of the most valuable things you can ever have when travelling. Even when it's just you going away for a couple days for business, having a list can prevent a lot of stress. You use it while packing for the trip, then print it out and check it before you leave your hotel room. I haven't left anything behind for years! :)

What works for me is that I start my list well in advance of the trip. If you're ten days out, it's definitely a good time to start thinking about it. Set yourself up a document and put on everything you think you might make use of on your trip. Many of the suggestions here will come in handy! Then, over the next week or so, add the things that pop into your head and read it over at least once or twice a day and think about if any of the things on the list are unecessary. Some things sound vital when you first think of them, but after a little thought you realize they're just going to be taking up valuable space in your suitcase (not to mention contributing to that carefully monitored weight limit at the airport). When I have something on my list that I've decided against, I cross it off, but leave it on the list in case it pops into my head again and I can see that I've already thought about it. :) I'll never travel again without one. Having it saved is a great idea as well, since there is always a basic set of items that you'll want for every trip.

Thanks for the help, everybody! We are very excited about this cruise since DH and I are trying to work out our 15 year marriage (23 years total together) that was starting to fall apart. :( We are lucky that our kids are really good travelers. They are used to going with me all over the place during my summers off work. DD (especially) is not a picky eater or sleeper.

Jen, I'd love to have that list, if you don't mind! My email is pmain13@hotmail.com

Like Canadian Twosome suggested, I've started brainstorming what I might need each day. Then I'll organize a packing list. This is fun! :D

Thanks for the help' date=' everybody! We are very excited about this cruise since DH and I are trying to work out our 15 year marriage (23 years total together) that was starting to fall apart. :( We are lucky that our kids are really good travelers. They are used to going with me all over the place during my summers off work. DD (especially) is not a picky eater or sleeper.

Jen, I'd love to have that list, if you don't mind! My email is pmain13@hotmail.com

Like Canadian Twosome suggested, I've started brainstorming what I might need each day. Then I'll organize a packing list. This is fun! :D

Really hope things work out well for you. Both ports are terrific for a relaxing time. As suggested above the Aquarium in Key West is small but neat because of the touch tank; my favourite was watching the "propellers" on the seahorses. Just stroll along main street and go see the "KeyLime Pie Man" at the corner. Nice sunny day and ice cream makes everyone happy.

Paradise Beach in Cozumel is an easy taxi ride about from the pier and has all you will need at a reasonable price.

Don't forget the sunscreen and hats. Also you need to drink lots of water in the heat. Have a wonderful time.

Photos of both ports in the link below (sorry no pictures of the Aquarium).

Kathy:)

Really hope things work out well for you. Both ports are terrific for a relaxing time. As suggested above the Aquarium in Key West is small but neat because of the touch tank; my favourite was watching the "propellers" on the seahorses. Just stroll along main street and go see the "KeyLime Pie Man" at the corner. Nice sunny day and ice cream makes everyone happy.

Paradise Beach in Cozumel is an easy taxi ride about from the pier and has all you will need at a reasonable price.

Don't forget the sunscreen and hats. Also you need to drink lots of water in the heat. Have a wonderful time.

Photos of both ports in the link below (sorry no pictures of the Aquarium).

Thanks, Kathy! This sounds like exactly what we will do. I think we'll just stroll around Key West, try to find the key lime pie man, stop at either the aquarium or butterfly sanctuary, maybe the Hemingway House (I'm an English teacher, but British lit, not American). We love Paradise Beach (DH and I have been there before), so we are pretty much counting on that for Cozumel. They have the BEST chips and salsa. With a margarita and the sun and sand...ummm! Good life for sure!

Thanks for the well wishes, the pics and the advice. I'm getting excited! :D

Thanks' date=' Kathy! This sounds like exactly what we will do. I think we'll just stroll around Key West, try to find the key lime pie man, stop at either the aquarium or butterfly sanctuary, maybe the Hemingway House (I'm an English teacher, but British lit, not American). We love Paradise Beach (DH and I have been there before), so we are pretty much counting on that for Cozumel. They have the BEST chips and salsa. With a margarita and the sun and sand...ummm! Good life for sure!

Thanks for the well wishes, the pics and the advice. I'm getting excited! :D[/quote']

I'll be cheering for you!

• 4 months later...
My packing list for cruising with our kids is stored on my computer. I update it each time for additional things we needed or didn't use. Also, I add the things that we need based on where we are going.

If you are interested, I would be happy to email you my packing list. Just give me your email address. :)

Hi,

If possible could you email your list to me at mszabo@cogeco.ca

We are going on an 8 day cruise with 3 kids and I need some guidance.

Thanks

TCC3

I would really love that packing list also. Our family is traveling with a 5 yr, and two 2yr. So we need all the help we can get.

• 3 weeks later...

I found this kind (they are used in boats but aren't really a life jacket, of course)

wpbf6d4c31_0f.jpg

My son has the inflatable kind and also a lightning McQueen swim ring but I can't remeber wether he was alowd to use it on the cruise pools. He can swim now so I'll probably just take the inflatable ones for the baby.

Archived