Ideas for travel steam irons

ashtyn

to the best of my knowledge and from what I have read on this board, they are not allowed (safety reasons)

however, there will be responders who have taken one on board and it was not confiscated

but if you read the booklet etc. no travel irons for sure; guess how technical one wants to get re iron and steamer

I personally do not take one

If you sail with Princess, they have laundromats on board with a travel iron available for passenger use

Holland,RCI, and Celebrity: no laundry rooms but you can send your stuff out

does this help?

I have a hand held conair steamer that I love. I dont take it on a cruise with me, with the cost of a press on the ship so reasonable. But when I travel with my silk competition gown I use it... This silk gown gets terribly wrinkled just looking at it!, and the steamer gently takes out all of the wrinkles. I bought it at Walmart.

I have a hand held conair steamer that I love. I dont take it on a cruise with me, with the cost of a press on the ship so reasonable. But when I travel with my silk competition gown I use it... This silk gown gets terribly wrinkled just looking at it!, and the steamer gently takes out all of the wrinkles. I bought it at Walmart.

Thanks, this is what I needed to know not only for the cruise ship but for travel in general.

I have a silk chifon (sp) gown for the cruise and don't think it can be just pressed and look right:(

I use the irons onboard the ship as well as the washer and dryers but was tring to find a steamer.

Thanks for the replies.:)

The Esteam by Jiffy Steamer is by far the best I've seen (I tried a cheaper brand before and have also tried a different one that my mom bought). It is so good that I frequently use it at home. Actually, I MOSTLY use it at home as I've gotten much more streamlined and practical in my packing in recent years. :D

Yes, I also own many chiffon/georgette fabric gowns and you are right, a press will not due for these kind of fabrics. They are too delicate and could cause damage.

When I travel with my chiffon gowns, it goes in plastic(drycleaner bags) on the very top of my 7 day suitcase. The center crease in a garmet bag does too much damage to chiffon. (The gowns goes in my suitcase the morning of travel) TIP: if you have a regular cleaners that you use, just ask them and they will give you full length plastic, free of charge, as many as you want...no problem.

As soon as I arrive where ever, gowns immediatley comes out of the bag an on a padded hanger I bring along... (Another tip.... V Secret has great padded hangers, quite reasonable) The gown will fall out on its own in a day, wrinkle free.... If not then I hang it in the bathroom while hubby is taking a shower, keep the door closed when he is done and the steam in the bathroom does the trick....

Actually this is one of the reasons I often choose chiffon on a cruise.... Give it a day and "she " will fall out beautiful with little effort on your part... I hate having to deal with pressing issues, would much rather lay by the pool!! I love to wear silk, but way to much maintenance on a cruise while frankly nothing feels better and more dreamy than a chiffon or georgette swaying around your legs....

Yes, I also own many chiffon/georgette fabric gowns and you are right, a press will not due for these kind of fabrics. They are too delicate and could cause damage.

When I travel with my chiffon gowns, it goes in plastic(drycleaner bags) on the very top of my 7 day suitcase. The center crease in a garmet bag does too much damage to chiffon. (The gowns goes in my suitcase the morning of travel) TIP: if you have a regular cleaners that you use, just ask them and they will give you full length plastic, free of charge, as many as you want...no problem.

As soon as I arrive where ever, gowns immediatley comes out of the bag an on a padded hanger I bring along... (Another tip.... V Secret has great padded hangers, quite reasonable) The gown will fall out on its own in a day, wrinkle free.... If not then I hang it in the bathroom while hubby is taking a shower, keep the door closed when he is done and the steam in the bathroom does the trick....

Actually this is one of the reasons I often choose chiffon on a cruise.... Give it a day and "she " will fall out beautiful with little effort on your part... I hate having to deal with pressing issues, would much rather lay by the pool!! I love to wear silk, but way to much maintenance on a cruise while frankly nothing feels better and more dreamy than a chiffon or georgette swaying around your legs....

I am so glad that you have experience with these types of gowns. I will get it steamed before we leave and then let it hang in the bag while we drive down and then hang it in the hotel. The next morning when we leave the hotel I will pack it last in the plastic but maybe in a carry on and unpack it as soon as we are in the room. I am hoping that this works. I love the dress and the way it flows but did not realize how hard it was going to be to maintain it.

Thanks everyone for your great tips. I did not see the Joy Mangano one at Target but I did find the Conair one at Walmart and will try it this week and go from there.

Archived