Cabin Switch?

Luckyroot

We are traveling with 4 other couples on the CB Repo in 3 weeks. One of the couples has a terminally ill parent, and may not be able to go on the cruise. All of our cabins are in a row on the Caribe Deck. This couple is cabin 2 in the row.

Do you know if Princess will allow us to move over one cabin if it turns out our friends cannot go (thus allowing the other 4 cabins to be together so we can open the balcony doors)?

They have travel insurance, and will not be cancelling till the last possible minute. I hesitate to wait until we are onboard in case they give the cabin to someone else (either an upgrade or a transfer from some onboard problem), but I also just can't bring myself to assume the worst for our friends.

I haven't talked to the TA about it because it's just so sad to think that my friends will only be able to go on the cruise if they lose her mom in the next 3 weeks. I've known her and her mom for over 35 years, and it kills me that I might not be here for them in their time of need.

Anyone ever dealt with this before?

We are traveling with 4 other couples on the CB Repo in 3 weeks. One of the couples has a terminally ill parent, and may not be able to go on the cruise. All of our cabins are in a row on the Caribe Deck. This couple is cabin 2 in the row.

Do you know if Princess will allow us to move over one cabin if it turns out our friends cannot go (thus allowing the other 4 cabins to be together so we can open the balcony doors)?

They have travel insurance, and will not be cancelling till the last possible minute. I hesitate to wait until we are onboard in case they give the cabin to someone else (either an upgrade or a transfer from some onboard problem), but I also just can't bring myself to assume the worst for our friends.

I haven't talked to the TA about it because it's just so sad to think that my friends will only be able to go on the cruise if they lose her mom in the next 3 weeks. I've known her and her mom for over 35 years, and it kills me that I might not be here for them in their time of need.

Anyone ever dealt with this before?

That is so sad. My prayers are with you & your traveling partners. As soon as you know, for sure, that they will be cancelling, see if your TA will arrange a conference call and ask for Customer Relations. That department will be calling the Yield Department (there probably is a waitlist for that cabin). Do not cancel that booking until you have had this conversation because the cabin will immediately go to someone on the waitlist.

You must do this prior to 4 days out. Good luck to you. I hope you won't have to cancel. Good thing they bought insurance. ;)

Sorry your friends may have to cancel. If you booked with a TA, I would get them up to date on what is going on. Remember, if they cancel, there could be a wait list for that category and the moment they cancel, Princess will assign someone else to that stateroom if other arrangements haven't be made beforehand, especially at this late date.

And don't let them wait until the very last minute, as said, I would try to find out for sure at least a week or 10 days prior if you want to be able to do this. And don't have them cancel until you have worked out a plan with Princess or a TA (depending on how you booked your cruise).

Best of luck, I hope all comes out according to your plans. ;)

Why would we have to notify Princess prior to departure? Our hope is that, God forbid her mom pass before we leave, that they will be able to sail with us (we're driving to the port so they can decide right up to the last minute).

Since they aren't giving our friends back a single dime, I don't really CARE if they resell the cabin to someone on the waitlist. Frankly, it's one of the reasons I'm glad that she hasn't made the decision one way or the other. Really ticks me off that Princess will benefit from the misfortune of someone else.

IF their cabin is assigned to them and they dont sail and dont tell anyone--you wont be able to take over that cabin because they are not there to check into it.

I dont know if the manifest has anything to do with this... but something to find out does a cabin # have to be inserted to the manifest within the time frame (I think its 72 hours?) or just the passengers name

IF their cabin is assigned to them and they dont sail and dont tell anyone--you wont be able to take over that cabin because they are not there to check into it.

I dont know if the manifest has anything to do with this... but something to find out does a cabin # have to be inserted to the manifest within the time frame (I think its 72 hours?) or just the passengers name

Exactly, If they don't show up, Princess will not allow you to move to their stateroom. No matter what you tell Princess, they won't know if they may catch up at the next port of call and board then, they will not just take your word for the fact that they won't be joining this cruise. You can explain until you are blue in the face, but it won't do any good to the cruise line.

All I was trying to do was to help you out by giving you ideas how to secure that stateroom so you can move if they don't plan on taking the cruise, before it could possibly be assigned to someone else, if the cruise line is notified about the cancellation.

It sounds like if they don't show up, you will have an empty stateroom between you and your friends, and even if the stateroom remains empty, they will not unlock the balcony divider for you because there is a cabin between you.

If they have insurance, it should cover the cancellation of this cruise if the unforseen does happen. But of coarse, pre-existing conditions, if that is the case, need to be covered before this is possible also.

Again, good luck on this one. Hopefully your friends will be able to join you.

Don't get angry with us because you don't feel the cruise line is doing the right thing, we are just trying to help. :rolleyes:

And just one more idea. How about switching staterooms with them NOW, and giving them the end cabin. If by chance they can still make the cruise, then they will still have an adjoining balcony, but if they can't, you will still be able to connect via the balcony with the others in the group?

Sorry if it came off as angry, that was definitely not my intention! My annoyance is Princess selling a cabin for which they have already been paid in full, NOT any other reason.

I misunderstood your meaning by notifying the cruiseline at least 3 days prior. Yes, we have considered just switching the names on the cabins, and if we do so, will probably address it in the next week. It's just that it feels wrong.........almost as if I'm taking advantage of her misfortune in some way.

Thank you as always to all the people who post here on CC the information I've gained from these boards over the years is invaluable.

I misunderstood your meaning by notifying the cruiseline at least 3 days prior. Yes, we have considered just switching the names on the cabins, and if we do so, will probably address it in the next week. It's just that it feels wrong.........almost as if I'm taking advantage of her misfortune in some way.

Thank you as always to all the people who post here on CC the information I've gained from these boards over the years is invaluable.

Can't just switch names, you have to contact your TA/Princess. Lots of penalties depending on final payment/insurance/who is staying in what cabin etc etc. :)

Since they aren't giving our friends back a single dime, I don't really CARE if they resell the cabin to someone on the waitlist. Frankly, it's one of the reasons I'm glad that she hasn't made the decision one way or the other. Really ticks me off that Princess will benefit from the misfortune of someone else.

I can't understand why you are so ticked at Princess for having policies to follow. Your friends have insurance so they will be covered. If they made exceptions for one, then they would have to make exceptions for all. It's a fact of doing business.

You won't have a problem if the cabin doesn't get rented, since like you said it was going to be very close to sailing before your companions cancel.

Just open up the balcony door, even though your friends aren't there.

this only becomes a problem if it get's rented.

how will they do this if the people dont check in?

And I doubt that the room steward will open a balcony to an empty stateroom even if they aren't going to show up. You can't just open it yourself, the room steward has a special key that opens the divider.

Even if the stateroom isn't occupied immediately, it will be used as a space by the cruise line should someone run into plumbing problems or something else during the voyage.

Even if the stateroom isn't occupied immediately, it will be used as a space by the cruise line should someone run into plumbing problems or something else during the voyage.

That's what I was thinking too. I'll talk to my friend and if she is okay with it, I will ask the TA to see about swapping our room numbers so that if she cannot go, we're still all together.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts.

Archived