Is Cunard going to be mass market?

Chuck & Phyllis

Cunard readily admits that putting QM2 in the caribbean wasn't a good idea. I doubt we'll see her on a 7 or 8 day caribbean sailing again anytime soon! They're not happy on having to discount her.

On the other hand, the prices on her ARE already outrageous. I thought about trying her out for the 3-day when she comes to LA in 2006. Then I saw the prices and nearly choked. Michael.. I think they're already doing what you said - raising the prices to elevate her clientele.

Cruises for next year and beyond are selling out so fast for March and beyond I think we'll not see much discounting.:p

Someone posted about the "problem" of not being able to get Diet Coke at breakfast while on cruise ships; and was worried that this might be the case on the Queen Mary 2.

Someone thoughtfully replied that one can "bring a six-pack" along, and ask the waiter for glass with ice.

"IS CUNARD GOING MASS MARKET?"... is that the question?

I think we have our answer........

Michael

New York, NY

The thought that Cunard will suddenly switch to paper plates beacuse of the Carnival connection seems a bit overblown. Yes, the realities of the world economy mean that most passengers on the most luxurious of liners are no loner in sable and dripping with diamonds, but the QM2 probably won't be mistaken for a Key west party boat anytime soon. I have been on Celebrity, Norwegian and Carnival in my lifetime and you can clearly discern the differences.

Someone posted about the "problem" of not being able to get Diet Coke at breakfast while on cruise ships; and was worried that this might be the case on the Queen Mary 2.

Someone thoughtfully replied that one can "bring a six-pack" along, and ask the waiter for glass with ice.

"IS CUNARD GOING MASS MARKET?"... is that the question?

I think we have our answer........

Michael

New York, NY

ROTFLMAO:D

Fantastic reply!

I also drink coke or pepsi for breakfast. Since I don't like coffee, I get my caffeine from soda. I'm a person who can eat or drink anything at anytime of the day. I love breakfast food for dinner, and love cold pizza for breafast

J.P.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't visited this board in several months. We sailed on QM2 in March 2004 and upon our return commented here that we found the experience very "mass market", a distinct departure from the ten sailings on four other Cunard ships. A couple board regulars took great offense and then dismissed our comment by saying, "some people think they are better" and are "determined to find fault". I figured who needs this ---- and took a vacation from Cruise Critic's Cunard Line message board.

However I see in this thread that the mass market nature of QM2 seems to be a consensus.

To repeat old sentiments: The ship is beautiful, though too large- the advantage of size doesn't accrue to the passenger, rather wholly to Carnival Corp. The food was what I expect when I eat at a corporate restaurant- a la Hungry Hunter or Red Lobster. The root of the problem lay both in the ingredients (mid-quality) and the haphazard nature of the kitchen. Service in the Britania restaurant was uneven and lacking in finesse- a human conveyor belt system. The Restaurant Manager was in over his head and taking it out on passengers. Todd English was outstanding. Deserts are particularly weak, 90% of them were Cool Whip based. Cabins felt smallish, but were lovely. The entertainment is glitzy and loud, very low brow. The Cruise Director, Paul Becque, continually made announcements over the PA. His PA system style is like a radio DJ. Bottom-line: QM2 reminded us of our one experience on Princess, after which we said, "never again." In all fairness to Princess, they were far more skilled at operationally executing their product, which is an outstanding market entry but not for us.

QM2 represents a reorientation of the Cunard brand from "luxury" (though some categories of QE2 were at odds with the brand positioning) to "upscale mass-market" a la Princess. We have sailed on Celebrity too and, while QM2 is a stunner compared with Zenith, Celebrity's outstanding food and well-practiced service far, far exceed that that we experienced on QM2. Very sad. No one wanted to love the ship more than me.

The best thing about the first QM2 brochure was the affordability of its fares. It seemed like there was a fair trade-off between two-seating dining and dollars paid. Sadly, the value is not there for the dollar paid. It is a $150 a day product for $200 a day.

I was somewhat hopeful when Pam Conover passed the torch to Mr. Princess CEO. Two days ago we received a QM2 brochure from Princess HQ that stated Britania is a single-seating restaurant. THAT caught my attention! It turns out the brochure copy was wrong, which seems to indicate that yet again marketing folks are waxing prolific about a product that simply does not exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Good cruising CC members:

I wish to complement SFTom!

Your assessment of the QM2 product offering vs the cruise market in general is excellent. Well of course you were attacked for your less than perfect review of your sailing. Each board has folks who are dedicated to the avoidance of bad news, who live in denial about the changes to the industry.

I generally patronize Celebrity - although their quality profoundly slipped in 2001/03 due to market conditions. I have not booked another Celebrity cruise because the company seemed not to be able to deliver "premium". I do see signs that Celebrity is moving back to the higher end product and I am happy to pay for it. A remembrance of the past - Zenith September 1992 (right after Hurricane Andrew). The Celebrity dining room had the busboy come around with a sectioned silver dish where the guest could select from 5 different vegetables to supplement the entree. WOW! Now, the plate appears on your table like you were at the Olive Garden. Gee.

My query is this.

If Princess staff and management are directed now to the QM2 - does this not mean that the Princess product may suffer from eroding quality? I would be rather concerned if I had already paid for a Princess cruise - only to find out there may be a higher than normal churn in staff etc. Afterall, there are NOT large numbers of highly trained waitstaff available to staff ships on a moments notice.

Gee, I wonder if they know this on the Princess board?

I too wished to sail on QM2, but close friends of my inlaws came back from a September transatlantic and were not impressed - they cruise Celebrity. They indicated the food and service in the Britannia class were NOT as good at Celebrity and the price point is way higher.

Good sailing to all

ABoatNerd

Archived