Port Charges/Taxes/Fees/Oh,My!

Pecanpuree

My guess, she didn't realize when she went to the NCL site, not all taxes etc were listed. The price she saw, I am pretty sure was the cruise rate plus port charges. I am willing to bet almost anything (no money, it is all gone)LOL, that she doesn't want to come back now and tell us what happened. That is too bad, others might read her first couple of postings and think the travel agent was trying to rip her off. That is the sad part.

Either that or who knows, again she was a new poster, this may or may not mean something. I really think she just didn't realized the agent listed the fees including port charges...

Nita

Lemme see if I can add some info for everyone- I'm not the OP but I'm her daughter and going on the cruise with her. I'm in another country (shout out to Aussie cruisers!) so I can't tell you day to day what she's been doing contacting the TA, but from what I know she's been having trouble from the start. Right now we're just over a month out from the cruise and we still haven't received any documentation on it, and they've been slow to get back to us on pretty much EVERYTHING we've contacted them about, so there's reasonable basis for suspicion.

I would guess the reason she hasn't posted since isn't embarrassment but rather that she has a disabled adult son and retired husband at home with her, who keep her pretty busy- we're both looking forward to this time off a great deal! If I find out what happened I'll post back here for people, though.

Lemme see if I can add some info for everyone- I'm not the OP but I'm her daughter and going on the cruise with her. I'm in another country (shout out to Aussie cruisers!) so I can't tell you day to day what she's been doing contacting the TA, but from what I know she's been having trouble from the start. Right now we're just over a month out from the cruise and we still haven't received any documentation on it, and they've been slow to get back to us on pretty much EVERYTHING we've contacted them about, so there's reasonable basis for suspicion.

I would guess the reason she hasn't posted since isn't embarrassment but rather that she has a disabled adult son and retired husband at home with her, who keep her pretty busy- we're both looking forward to this time off a great deal! If I find out what happened I'll post back here for people, though.

thanks for getting back to us and I am sorry she is having so much trouble with her travel agent. I do want to clarify one thing, whether you believe it or not, checking (I am an agent) you are not being charged the wrong totals.

Nita

Bless her heart.. sounds like she needs this cruise. I hope you guys have a blast.

First, Terry, thank you for your very kind good wishes.

Second, as my daughter had posted, I do not live on the cruisecritic boards; sometimes Life intervenes and I do not have the opportunity to post or read messages. Even after I have asked for help (for which I am grateful).

Still, some of you might have considered a kinder version of why you didn't hear back from me immediately rather than decide that I had been humiliated into silence.

To get back to the original question of fees, MylesF is correct insofar as the exact amount of the Government Taxes and Fuel Supplement. The NCF's/Port fees, are not itemized on either the NCL site or on my invoice from the TA. However, the price I paid for our cabin is, in fact, greater than the price charged on the NCL site, and yet my "port charges and taxes/fees" are still double what others' apparent fees are. The grand totals are not equivalent.

MylesF's statement "NCL is correct and this is the charge regardless who or how you book the cruise" and Nita's call to NCL "After checking my computer system, I called NCL for you, and sure enough the charges were exactly the same" certainly brooks no possibility for error or argument.

As to outcome, I am typing this just before midnight and I have to find some time to contact the travel agent during broad daylight to ask the question. Perhaps the simple answer is that I was simply charged more than NCL charges for the same cabin by the travel agent.

I appreciate the time it took for you to check my exact cruise and fees, and for the exact amount of the NCF/Port Fees. If I have any news from the travel agent besides "that's just the way it goes", I will make a point of posting.

Thank you for your help.

Just as a point of information: You can go to NCL's website and find the cruise you want a price on. After you choose your category you will come to the Choose My Stateroom page. On the lower right side you will see the total price listed. If you click on the price, a pop-up window will appear with a breakdown of all the charges and the final payment due date. This price also includes insurance which you can opt out of or upgrade on the Travel Choices section.

Archived