Destiny – Post D-D 9/27-10/2/08 Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman – Review & Capers

falkcor

Thanks very much to the OP. I have not had a chance to read the entire thread, as I just booked the Christmas Eve 4 day Destiny cruise for my family. We have been on a number of Carnival cruises and like you, we have had a cruise where we spent a great deal of time in the piano bar. That was with Damian and we all felt he was a very good entertainer. I would like to see the person who was on your cruise.

John & Shari

whoh - it's been a while since i saw this on the first page lol :D

you're very welcome! let me know if you have any questions i'd be glad to help. what a great way to celebrate christmas for you and your family! :)

martin is great and a real talent. he's in NY for a few weeks from what i understand, then on to the diamond princess 9/19/09-10/31/09 and the island princess 11/30/09-3/10/10. he's so great i even looked at the princess cruises, but itineraries / timing just aren't in the cards for now... :cool:

here's some more information that i'd like to add about one of my excursions - this one, after dunns river falls in ocho rios jamaica - an afternoon at mystic mountain.

john heald talked about the attraction / excursion in some recent blogs:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/07/02/dream-no-problem-mon/

Well today we sent more people on tour in Jamaica than for a long time so I am pleased that my travel talk information seems to have worked. One of the new locations we are sending folks to is a place that the Jamaican Tourist Board and Carnival cruise Lines have invested lots of time and money in. It’s called Mystic Mountain and today 600 people enjoyed this slice of heaven. It is located within the rain forest and to get there you use a canopy which is like a ski lift and this gives you incomparable views of the stunning countryside and the ships in port. There are shops and craft markets and scenery that is utterly jaws droppingly astonishing. And remember the movie Cool Runnings? Well in tribute to the Jamaican bobsled team you too can experience what they went through……..well ………….sort of. Here are two great photos of the Mystic Mountain tour

07-02-09-mystic-mountain-01.jpg

07-02-09-mystic-mountain-02.jpg

We have been on a number of Carnival cruises and like you, we have had a cruise where we spent a great deal of time in the piano bar. That was with Damian and we all felt he was a very good entertainer. I would like to see the person who was on your cruise.

he's not to be missed if you ever get the chance. ;)

here's a link to his web site - it has a few samples of his songs:

http://www.martin-k.com/default.asp

he's in ny for the next few days, so i'd totally recommend him to anyone in the area - then off to the diamond princess 9/19-10/31/09, and then the island princess 11/30/09-3/10/10.

so take note, any of you princess cruisers :D

Going on the Destiny next week. It's been a while since I've been to the Grand Cayman. I read that some beaches are slopey. Any info.

honestly, i'm not entirely certain what you mean about some of the beaches being slopey...

the only thing i can think of, is off the southern coast of grand cayman - for instance, the alternate tender point of spotts bay, where the depth of the water drops off pretty substantially just off shore. this makes spotts bay an ideal alternate tendering point, as the ships can get pretty close to shore to idle for tendering (and i say idle, because they're not allowed to anchor here so as to not damage the coral / ecosystem)...

but for beaches on the west / northwest side of the island, such as seven mile beach, this isn't as much a concern.

i'd recommend 7 mile beach if you're looking for a beach day :D

Grand Cayman was a great place to rent a scooter, blast (ok at 30mph) around the island and stop wherever you wanted to swim.

although i've had the fear of death instilled in me regarding renting a scooter... :eek:

i think i'd feel MUCH safer doing so in GC, rather than somewhere like jamaica... which would be even MORE :eek:

;)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are taking this same cruise in December. This is by far the best review I've read. We are going to Mystic Mountain and swimming with the sting rays. Thanks for the detailed review that has eased my worries!!

We are taking this same cruise in December. This is by far the best review I've read. We are going to Mystic Mountain and swimming with the sting rays. Thanks for the detailed review that has eased my worries!!

Not sure what your worries were but this review is from over 3 years ago

• 8 months later...
Falkcor, great review and thanks for posting the Capers. We don't sail on her until Feb 2010 but it's always fun to plan ahead! :) If you have the time you might want to check out and post the Capers on this site http://capers.stateroom.info/main.php Love your inside tips! :D

This is too funny, I was just reading my now very old review to get in 'cruise mood', and realized that for all of these years we've been in correspondence, I'm getting on the Triumph... The day you debark. LOL. Welcome to Galveston, btw, I was there a few weeks ago for my birthday :)

Archived