Which formal night is dressier?

Purple Tessa

I am sailing on Carnival Spirit 8 night cruise out of San Diego on 11/28. I have bought two beautiful dresses for "cruise elegant" nights -- one a long BCBG jersey "grecian" style gown in a slate blue (more formal) and one a short ABS chiffon gold cocktail dress (dressy but less formal). Should I wear the more formal dress the first or second formal night??? Does the first or second "formal" night tend to be more formal?

Hi! I was on the Spirit in February this year! Very nice ship. I think you will be fine wearing either dress either night. I have kind of been thinking for my Oct 18 cruise on the Glory that I'd wear the more formal of my two dresses for the captain's cocktail party night (probably the first formal night). But I'll be interested to see what other posters have to say! Ladies? What do you think?

I am sailing on Carnival Spirit 8 night cruise out of San Diego on 11/28. I have bought two beautiful dresses for "cruise elegant" nights -- one a long BCBG jersey "grecian" style gown in a slate blue (more formal)

Oooooh! I tried on that BCBG gown you're describing at my local Dillard's awhile back. Gorgeous! I couldn't bring myself to buy it since I already have two gowns for my cruise, but....Niiiiice! You're going to look Fabulous! :D

Julie

Formal is formal. However, since you are on Carnival, they now have "elegant evenings." Technically, the dresscode is the same, but in my experience, more people are dressed up on the first night and some just don't bother on the second.

The advice that we received from the maitre d' on Carnival Conquest (before "elegant evenings") that I thought was so appropriate as to which dress to wear for which formal night - he said to wear the one that fits the most snug on the first night!

Archived