Cyprus & Marmaris

We are going on an MSC cruise in March and have most of the ports figured out but am unsure of Limassol, Cyprus and Marmaris, Turkey. We are in Cyprus for 8 hrs and Marmaris for 12 hours. Is there sites we can visit on our own in either port or should we book an excursion through the cruise line. We prefer to do things on our own but are having a hard time figuring out these 2 ports.

I am also having a hard time with Marmaris

What I THINK I have deduced is that it is pretty resort town, good swimming.

We however will be there soon (next week, yea!), too cold to swim. So we are planning on just wandering the town, seeing the castle and shopping in the bazaar.

Maybe a turkish bath.

Anyway, if you can wait till end Nov, when we return, I will post about it:) cheers Melanie

We are going on an MSC cruise in March and have most of the ports figured out but am unsure of Limassol, Cyprus and Marmaris, Turkey. We are in Cyprus for 8 hrs and Marmaris for 12 hours. Is there sites we can visit on our own in either port or should we book an excursion through the cruise line. We prefer to do things on our own but are having a hard time figuring out these 2 ports.

Seems most folks have trouble finding something for Cyprus. Its a vacation destination for Europe, but has little support for the cruise industry. We used a guide on Cyprus that provided a great day visiting the wineries on Cyprus. His name is Egon Witte, if you google him plus Cyprus you will come up with his web page ( this site frowns on leaveing url's in a message ). At the bottom of his web page is his email address. He responds very quickly to your emails and can set up a tour just for your interests. Give him an ideal of what you like and he''ll set up the day for you and pick you up at the ship. Worked great for us.

We have visited Cyprus four times on vacation from the UK. Limassol is not a particularly pretty place and my advice would be to rent a car for the day. My first stop would be the Roman ruins at Kourion then take the coast road to Paphos passing Aphrodite's Rock. In Paphos have a late lunch by the harbour and visit the superb Roman mosaics and Tombs of the Kings.

Head back to Limassol on the fast 'dual carriageway road' -approx 40mins.

Thank you for all the information:

Melanie I look forward to your review once you get back.

Xeriod - I will check into this tour and Omega1 There will be 12 of us so not sure if this group is to large for a private tour or renting a vechicle may be tricky.

If there are any ideas let me know.

Hope you have fun on your cruise Melanie

Archived