Questions about Zaandam Cruise

wines60

Will be aboard Zaandam for the Nov. 7 trip to Hawaii. (Really looking forward to it!) Some questions:

Self service laundry -- Cost and do we nees to bring coins along. I'm guessing that detergent is available also.

Cigars -- Husband enjoys one one occasion; OK on our own veranda? Any where elso on board?

We've rented cars at all ports of call, and were wondering about overnight parking in Honolulu, since we'll get the car on the afternoon we arrive, and won't be returning it until the next afternoon. (We're taking the Pearl Harbor and Mighty Mo excursion on the morning of the first day.) Also we have booked the luau at the Hale Koa that first evening. Is it easy to drive and park there?

Our cabin is a veranda on deck 6. Is that a good choice?

Love this board; I just found it and have already learned so much. This is our third cruise, (2nd on HAL), but is has been several years since our last one.

Thanks to all for any help. Marion

Hi Marion! Welcome to HAL!

We have cruised on the Zaandam twice, once to Alaska and once to Hawaii. She is a very nice ship.

You should be fine with a verandah cabin on deck 6--we had one on that deck in February-very nice.

We did not use the coin laundry onboard, so I cannot answer that question.

We stayed at the Hale Koa a few years ago with rental car. IIRC, there is a parking deck across the street from the Hale Koa--I think that will be the easiest place to park, but others who are more familiar with that area may have better suggestions.

With respect to cigar smoking, there is an dedicated evening area on the Zaandam for cigar smokers, and as a non-smoker, I really do appreciate that. The Daily Program will list the "Cigars Under the Stars" location and times.

Although people do smoke cigarettes and cigars on their verandahs, I can tell you that the smoke does not stay on the smoker's verandah. Cigar smoke, in particular, can render nearby verandahs unusable to non-smokers. Hopefully, your hubby will take that into consideration when he lights up. :)

We took the "Mighty Mo" tour on our own in February and really enjoyed it. The ship is still very impressive. The shuttle bus also stops at the relatively new air museum on Ford Island. We enjoyed our time there, too. They do not allow private vehicles to drive over to the Missouri and air museum. We had only one day in Honolulu, so you all are going to have a great time.

Have a wonderful, relaxing cruise!

Coins are available at the Guest Relations desk for use in the coin operated laundry Stop by first and see how many it takes for the washer, the dryer(depends on length of time) and for boxes of detergent :)

Welcome to CruiseCritic, Marion!

I was on the Zaandam repositioning to Hawaii in Sept/Oct and was so happy there was self-sevice laundry (they're on most, if not all, PAX decks). When I first checked out the laundry room (I was on Verandah deck also; you'll love the location and cabin), I thought, omg, that washer'll hold about 2 shorts max, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much it did take, without cramming. Washers are $2 (in quarters) and you push a button for the detergent (push only ONCE). Dryers are $1, again, in quarters. Anything you need to hang to finish drying, use the mini-clothesline which pulls out from the tub wall. By the way, I loved that there was an option for low heat on the dryer. On a cruise, you can't afford for anything to shrink. :p

It all worked well for me, and I'm a fussy Laundry Queen. :D You'll have no need to turn your clothes inside out halfway through your cruise. ;)

We did that itinerary in April. We were in 6208. Loved, loved , loved that cabin.

Also, can't remenber the day, but they offer "a bag of laundry for $12.00".

They will do the laundry for you. If you roll all the clothes, you can fit almost a weeks worth in that bag.

The laundry comes back in a wicker basket, all folded nicely and sealed with a gold sticker. It is so nice that I will do it for every long cruise I take. :D

Pat

Bill S., you are a class act. I appreciate your kind and accurate response to smoking on the verandah.

Marion, welcome to the HAL Board. I suggest you look into the laundry service mentioned above. They do a wonderful job. I did our laundry on our first cruise, and spent far too much time in the self-service laundry, and more time scrounging up quarters. This is your vacation!

I'll be interested to hear all about your cruise. We loved Zaandam when we went to Alaska in 2006. We hope to do the Circle Hawaii cruise in a couple of years, economy willing.

You sound like a nice couple. Hope to hear more from you as your cruise approaches.

Greetings.

there is a laundry on your deck, but also on three others if it is busy...laundry by the bag is a great choice as you can roll and stuff lots of things in there; I used it and did some of my personal things in the self serve laundry and used the line in the tub.

Have a wonderful cruise on the fantastic Zaandam.

The laundry rooms are quite convenient, and as previously stated you can get quarters at the front desk. Although the washing machines are small, you can fit a surprising amount in them! I think my boyfriend and I fit almost two weeks worth of clothes in two of them, which was great.

We did an Alaska B2B, and on the last day, the laundry room was crazy busy. We waited until everyone else had to have their bags packed, then we went and did laundry with no line. Since your cruise isn't B2B, you probably won't notice so much of a "rush", but if there is a rush, checking back at a different time can often be much better.

Zaandam is a great ship, and we loved the crew this summer. I'm sure you will have a great time.

WOW, I didn't think my thread would attract so much attention! So nice of y'all to respond, and with some very good tips and help. Keep 'em coming; I check in to this forum several times a day now that I've found it.

Still wondering about parking rental car overnight near the ship while in Honolulu. Any hope of finding convenient parking there?

Again thanks a bunch to every one. We are getting quite excited as the big day nears. We are flying in on our own to SAN the day before in order to be sure to get to the ship on time!

I am still a little confused regarding bringing cans of cola and or bottles of whiskey in hand luggage, (or even checked luggage) as we board.

Hopefully we'll see some of y'all on board, and if not I'll give a report when we return. Marion

I am still a little confused regarding bringing cans of cola and or bottles of whiskey in hand luggage, (or even checked luggage) as we board.

You can bring all the cans of cola you want, also wine (perhaps a bottle) but no whiskey or beer can be brought on board.

We took the Hawaii round trip last year on the Zaandam and will do so again this December. That's how much we liked it!

Archived