Pricing for cruises

ncdachsiemom

Does anyone know if the cruise ships give anyone credits if they reduce the price of the cruise? I saw today where my cruise (on which I booked 6 cabins for 12 people!) went down from $100 to $279 a person depending on the cabin booked. Thanks!

Linda

Does anyone know if the cruise ships give anyone credits if they reduce the price of the cruise? I saw today where my cruise (on which I booked 6 cabins for 12 people!) went down from $100 to $279 a person depending on the cabin booked. Thanks!

Linda

Linda,

The answer is generally yes...but, it's a little more complicated than that...

If the price is reduced BEFORE the final payment date, they have little choice but to deal with you since you could cancel without penalty and rebook at the lower price...

BUT, inside of the final payment date, it is really at their discretion--since you have a contract at the earlier price and a penalty or forfeiture clause.

Oftentimes, when a cruise gets to within the final payment date and is not sold out, the cruise lines will run some sort of low-price specials on the remaining cabins--but they have little interest in rebating $$ on 1000 other cabins just to unload these. You previously reserved cabins are likely better located or have some other advantage worth the higher cost...or allegedly worth it.

Did you use a Travel Agent to do the bookings? I would have them contact the cruise line and make the inquiry...not much to lose...Worst that could happen is they say no...

Royal Caribbean has generally been very good about honoring price drops, even after final payment. On our Feb 07 cruise, we had three price drops during January!

If you used a travel agent, they will have to make the call (and according to some posters on these boards, there are some TAs who are not willing to do so). If you booked directly, call now!

All of our refunds were to the credit card(s) used to book the trip. This was a slight problem since Wrona & I each used our own credit card and they wouldn't split the refund. So we had them alternate the refunds and kept track of the amount of money. I came out a little bit ahead, and it was close to the amount of an excursion we were both planning to take, so I paid for both of us and we were even.

Yes, RCCL gives price drops (I see you are on RCCL) - even after final payment. But beware - the price you see/are quoting may be new bookings only - part of the current sale going on all week - then you would not be eligible for the price reduction.

edited: I checked your sailing based on your countdown clock - that is in the new bookings only sale - not existing reservations.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/RCI_Sales_Event/rci_sales_event.pdf

Linda

Archived