Alaska Railroad Anchorage to Seward

Zoolander

Okay, $75 or $160 per person (May 18). Is it worth it pay the premium for the Goldstar Dome Train?

Here is a little something from their website:

Please note that Alaska Railroad offers two levels of service between Anchorage and Seward; Standard (also known as "Adventure Class") and GoldStar Dome. Many people prefer the standard class for its single level stability, generous seating and the ability to easily walk between different cars on the train. The GoldStar Dome is the top-of-the-line rail service featuring the newest rail cars, the largest picture windows and the finest dining options.

For anybody that has traveled via Alaska Railroad, what do you think?

Thanks.

I've always ridden the standard. Save $$ when I can. I'm usually not at my seat much anyways. I enjoy walking around and can be found hanging my head out in the fresh air between the cars, which is the best place for picture taking too, no window glare.

I've always ridden the standard. Save $$ when I can. I'm usually not at my seat much anyways. I enjoy walking around and can be found hanging my head out in the fresh air between the cars, which is the best place for picture taking too, no window glare.

I totally agree. The Gold Service experience is great, but the regular ride is perfectly good. There are a handful of dome cars to enjoy. You are technically limited to 20 minutes, but can hang out a bit longer if they aren't full.

We have taken two train trips in Alaska: Anchorage to Whittier and Anchorage to Seward. On our first trip we couldn't spend much time in the dome car because there were quite a few people on board and we had to rotate out ever so often. On our second trip, the train was not as full and we were able to spend a little more time in the dome car. We really enjoyed sitting up high and watching the beautiful scenery. Since our May '09 cruise will be our last to Alaska we have decided to "splurge" and do the dome car.

Thanks for all of your help.

I am a HUGE breakfast person. Not sure what will be available at the hotel considering our early departure.

What is the food like on the train? Is there some protein available, or is it predominately a Continental type of offering? (If its all about carbs on the train, I will just have to refrigerate some leftovers from the night before :()

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for posting the menu, it inspired me to check out the GoldStar menu as well. For breakfast, there is only 1 additional item on the GoldStar menu, on the all day there are a few additional items. I had it my mind, bluberry pancakes for breakfast on the train, which they don't have :( oh well, the eggs will be good.

Archived