Volcano Hike

vickie_bernie

• 2 weeks later...

We hiked up the Volcano in Feb this year. It was a long physical climb but really enjoyable to experience climbing a dead volcano through a rain forest. A couple on our party complained but i think that was more to do with their need to stop for a smoke every 300 yards! and another who was obvoiusly not as fit as she thought. To summerise if you are physically fit, not daunted by climbing over rocks and tree roots and like the outdoor life (make sure your clothes and footware are appropriate and take water) then you should enjoy the day. PS say hello to the mongoose's at the top they like a bit of cake!

We did this hike just last week while cruising on the Emerald Princess. It is very rigorous and requires quite a bit of endurance and stamina. For our group the goal was to make it to the top in abt 2 hours and take abt 1 1/2 hour for the return trip. Lots of scrambling up and over tree roots etc. It was magnificent climbing thru a rainforest. I will confess that I was the slowest member of the group and did not suceed in making it to the top in the allotted time frame. Had I been on a private tour, I have no doubt that I would have been more successful. I did have some personal doubts re: the quality of our tour guides as I was left behind with a videographer, while the rest of the group went ahead. I realized he was a very rookie "guide" as he had many doubts as to the correct way down and thank goodness we ran into a private guide who helped us. He did not tell me until we were almost at the bottom that he was not a guide, but a videographer along for the trip.

We went with Thenford Grey 2 weeks ago when we were on the Maasdam.

It was just myself and my husband 40 & 45 with a guide. Thenford's guide was David. It is a pretty strenous hike (and we are both fit) but worth it. We made it up in about 1:45 and down in about 1:30. Back to the ship in plenty of time.

We only saw 4 other people the entire trip.

I am short 5', and had to clamber over all the trees and was very dirty by the time I got back.

OK, I'll confess. We ae 52 and 54. Thought we were pretty fit until this excursion:D. I guess we will have to step up our exercise. Honestly, had I had more time I know I would have made it up to the top. If we were to go back to St Kitts for a land vacation, I would book a private guide and try again.

Archived