Chair Hog Discussion on NCL ships

M&MCruisin

I would like to bring back the old Chair Hog Discussion. Not a vent of "I hate chair hogs", but does anyone have a crazy chair hog story to share? Id also like to hear from the chair hogs themselves. No flaming the chair hogs, lets hear all the interesting stories. Is anyone brave enough to even admit they are a hog?

I personally havent encountered a chair hog problem on NCL, but Ive only been on one NCL cruise..the Pearl was so completely packed at the pool, that I didnt get to go to the pool all week long. They were filled with actual bodies, not just towels. I was shocked. This is one thing I disliked about NCL, not enough pool space. But thats a WHOLE other thread.

Anyone have a funny chair Hog story on an NCL ship? What did you do? Did anyone working on the ship assist you?

We have been on the Jewel, Pearl x2 and the Spirit , only on the Pearl did we not have a problem with chair hogs. The Jewel was in the Med. and was mainley people from Europe ( it did leave from Dover) if you wanted a pool chair you had to get to the pool around 8:00am. We would see people drop off towel and go eat, come back for a few minutes and go off again. thirty percent of the chairs just had towels on them all day and if you asked someone near the towels if someone was sitting there they would say they just left for a minute and would be right back, but the chair would just sit empty for hours. On the Spirit we wanted to sit above the pool and found two chairs open with people on both sides, so when we went to put down our towels the guests on one side said they are saving them for someone, OK so we moved on to another spot for about an hour and don't act shocked but nobody ever showed up for those chairs. Once again these people where from Europe. We all pay a cruise fare but from the cruises I have been on people from Europe have been the rudest? on europe every cruise. That is just what I think and i'm sure people from Europe think that us Americans are the rude one's.

Hi Meredith -

Its Patty! I really dont have a chair hog story but I did find this .....http://loungesaver.com/index.html

Is that not the craziest thing!?!?! I would love to see if people actually have purchased them or even used them.

IMO-Fake vomit or poo left on the chair would work better than a sign

Why fake? ;)

Because if it's not fake, I'm gonna feel really bad when I pick it off the chair to move it! :eek: (so I guess if someone leaves it-real or fake-on their chair it probably won't work if I need a place to sit) ;)

Hi Meredith -

Its Patty! I really dont have a chair hog story but I did find this .....http://loungesaver.com/index.html

Is that not the craziest thing!?!?! I would love to see if people actually have purchased them or even used them.

Ha! My response to that little strip of paper would be to tear it off the chair, sit down, and enjoy myself until the idiot who put it there came back and attempted to inform me that they had "saved that chair"... At which point I would hand them the torn strip of paper, and this:

chog1.jpg

And then I'd go back to my book and umbrella drink...

Hi Meredith -

Hi Patty - that is pretty funny. On the Pearl cruise I was going to take, a bunch of people from the roll call decided to be the chair hog police. They came up with a anti-chair hog kit that they wanted bring...you will have to use your imagination for some of this.

police tape

rope (dont ask, although i could post of picture of what they thought of)

a cape (here we come to save the day!!!)

Buzzer/timer

oversized hour glass

penalty flags

handcuffs

chinese handcuffs

One person walked with a can and we suggested using is as a police stick.

The idea was to steak out those darn chair hogs, put penalty flags, police tape all around the chairs and set a time/buzzer in the chair and wait for others to return. Then when they came back to claim their chair....superhero would appear (thus the cape) with the rope and the handcuffs would be used. :D Just having fun!!

IMO-Fake vomit or poo left on the chair would work better than a sign

EWWWW! That is something we could add to the anti-chair hog kit.

Ha! My response to that little strip of paper would be to tear it off the chair, sit down, and enjoy myself until the idiot who put it there came back and attempted to inform me that they had "saved that chair"... At which point I would hand them the torn strip of paper, and this:

chog1.jpg

And then I'd go back to my book and umbrella drink...

Did you just make that or is it a picture of a real sign? I think we should print those out in triplicate and walk around the pool laying them on the chairs and watch reactions when they come back! Talk about spicing up my home videos! LOL!

My favorite is to remove the items. Wait until someone else Hogs the chair. Remove their items and do it 3 or 4 times. OHHH the fun that breaks:) out when everyone comes back, one by one, to claim "their" chair.

thats funny...where do you put their stuff? Do you just move it to a table somewhere and sit back to watch the entertainment? LOL!

Well, you did not say what kind of chair...I was on the Majesty in August to Bermuda. I went to catch the evening show and arrived 10 minutes prior to showtime. Six seats were empty in the back with one ten year old sitting in the seventh. I sat in one and he told me he was saving all of them.

I asked where his parents were. He replied in the bar next door. I said it was no fault of his that he did not know this, but there was no saving seats on cruise ships and quickly added for him to go tell his parents shame on them for making him go in there alone.

He ran away frightened so fast before I could tell him that I would move anyways. When he finally came back with his family, I was happy I had moved further in where he could not point me out.

coka

Well, you did not say what kind of chair...I was on the Majesty in August to Bermuda. I went to catch the evening show and arrived 10 minutes prior to showtime. Six seats were empty in the back with one ten year old sitting in the seventh. I sat in one and he told me he was saving all of them.

I asked where his parents were. He replied in the bar next door. I said it was no fault of his that he did not know this, but there was no saving seats on cruise ships and quickly added for him to go tell his parents shame on them for making him go in there alone.

He ran away frightened so fast before I could tell him that I would move anyways. When he finally came back with his family, I was happy I had moved further in where he could not point me out.

coka

LOL! Poor thing went scampering away. Im trying not to laugh, but i agree...I cant believe a 10 year old was made to sit and save seats while his parents his the bar. :eek: That was a good one!

Did you just make that or is it a picture of a real sign? I think we should print those out in triplicate and walk around the pool laying them on the chairs and watch reactions when they come back! Talk about spicing up my home videos! LOL!

I found it somewhere on one of the cruise-related websites, or the NCL site, I honestly don't remember where. But I fully intend to print out about ten sheets of these things (they fit six to a page) and have a stack of them at the ready. I'm one of those people you hear about who happens to be a real stickler for the rules. To my way of thinking, we are all part of a society that has these things we all agree on as proper and socially-acceptable behavior, and these "things" are called rules. Everyone has the responsibility to obey them as their obligation to others, and everyone else's rights stop right where mine start. This is my vacation too... :cool:

I found it somewhere on one of the cruise-related websites, or the NCL site, I honestly don't remember where. But I fully intend to print out about ten sheets of these things (they fit six to a page) and have a stack of them at the ready. I'm one of those people you hear about who happens to be a real stickler for the rules. To my way of thinking, we are all part of a society that has these things we all agree on as proper and socially-acceptable behavior, and these "things" are called rules. Everyone has the responsibility to obey them as their obligation to others, and everyone else's rights stop right where mine start. This is my vacation too... :cool:

Amen to that! I agree with you 100%. Chair Hoggers don't give two hoots about society, only themselves. This IS our vacation too; it's not like we're there as unpaid guests. Personally I think we should make them walk the plank!! One or two and it'd stop real fast!!! lol

I only saw one hog on our recent Pearl cruise. He would put his robe on a chair in the sun, then a towel on one in the shade. So when he wasn't looking I would remove his towel and give it to the towel replacement guy. Let the jerk pay $25 for the towel...

I only saw one hog on our recent Pearl cruise. He would put his robe on a chair in the sun, then a towel on one in the shade. So when he wasn't looking I would remove his towel and give it to the towel replacement guy. Let the jerk pay $25 for the towel...

OldBaldGuy that is too funny!!! Thanks for the chuckle. I think more of us should do that. Don't get mad, get even!! LOL

good idea!

Amen to that! I agree with you 100%. Chair Hoggers don't give two hoots about society, only themselves. This IS our vacation too; it's not like we're there as unpaid guests. Personally I think we should make them walk the plank!! One or two and it'd stop real fast!!! lol

I vote for the plank

LOL! I moved a towel once. I had been there an hour or so and a couple came by and said I took their seats. I said, there was a towel here and people leave towels on the chairs all the time when they leave. I asked them when did they come to reserve it...they said at 7am. It was 11...did they really think that the chairs would still be available 4 hours later? geesh! I didnt move, they were ticked and thought I was the worst person ever. They stood there a bit, but I ignored them. They grumbled as they walked away, couldnt believe that I wouldnt give them "their" chairs. WHATEVER!

lol!!!!!!! im a chair hogger!!! I claim a chair and then i go work out at the gym for an hour..sometimes i even go for lunch... u snooooooooozee u loooooose!!!

we did get attitude from an old lady..but my boyfriend took care of her... i love his talent of being able to fart on command.. poor lady turned green!:D:p

good idea!

LOL! I moved a towel once. I had been there an hour or so and a couple came by and said I took their seats. I said, there was a towel here and people leave towels on the chairs all the time when they leave. I asked them when did they come to reserve it...they said at 7am. It was 11...did they really think that the chairs would still be available 4 hours later? geesh! I didnt move, they were ticked and thought I was the worst person ever. They stood there a bit, but I ignored them. They grumbled as they walked away, couldnt believe that I wouldnt give them "their" chairs. WHATEVER!

And that's where the little sign comes in handy... :D

Grumbling Hog: We saved these chairs at 7AM!

Meredith: But it's 11:00AM now. Perhaps you should read this.

(Hands sign, and gleefully watches hog slink away...)

good idea!

I vote for the plank

Woowee Meredith! I would have done the same thing except added a "YOUR MAMA" when they walked away grumbling!

I had this problem on a recent land based vacation. the only beach bed under a tree was staked out by some young guy every morning-he would leave his stuff on it and use it throughout the day. Day 3 I had enough, especially when I was roasting on an unshaded bed, he was nowhere to be seen, then I see him leave his room, walk by "his" bed, drop his room key on the bed and swagger down the beach like he owned it! ENOUGH! I thought. Walked over, picked up his stuff, put in on the sand next to the tree and plopped my rump down on the coveted shaded bed. Oh he was not happy when he returned-but I sure was:) So I would say just move their stuff-what can they say without sounding like a spoiled brat?

Wow I cant believe how nasty you people are on this thread. What's the big deal if some one saves a seat over the lunch hour. If their stuff is there all day NCL should remove it, you people disposing of other peoples belongings when they are not looking is wrong. I hope I do not sail with you people or see you doing this. Do you people have nothing better to do than watch lounge chairs all day? not my idea of vacation fun.

Archived