Suit or Tux for Husband and Teen?

WhiteRabbit

We're going on RC Freedom of the Seas 7 nights in Dec. There are two formal nights and one smart casual night. Neither my husband nor my 13 yr. old son has either a suit (that fits) or a tux. We live in a small town and have a very casual work atmosphere.

I think the suit is more useful in the long-run for my DH (you never know when the next wedding will be), but my son is so long-legged with a tiny waist, that we can't find any dress pants for him. We know a tux will fit him well because we've had occasions to rent them for him in the past. So DH wants to get him a tux, and because it's easier than buying a suit, he wants to just rent one for himself also. The other family members that will be there with us have all indicated they will be going with the suit, so I think maybe the photos might make them stand out too much.

Anyone have any web links to men's clothes to fit my son? Thanks!

A dark suit will be fine--hubby wears a black suit--white shirt, dark tie...It's fine. Your "men" will get much more wear from a suit than a tux. If you rent a tux for your son, that will be fine, too! You can dress a tux up or down (no vest or cummerbund) to make it more like the suit. About 45% of the passengers (men) will be in suits. About45% will be in a tux. The rest....well, either they don't do the dining room that night, or they come to the dining room, but stand out a bit!

I had the same problem with my son. We bought a suit from a discount men's store and had the pants taken in (a lot) to fit. All in all, it was probably less than renting the tux. He wore it a few times and now his brother has it. However, my husband wears a tux. I really don't think it is noticeable in the photos that two are in suits and one in a tux.

One the other hand my son did have occasion to rent a tux (prom) and absolutely loved it.

Enjoy. I know my guys walk a little taller and stand a little prouder when they are dressed for dinner!

and another solution? My DH prefers the black suit to a tux. We solved pack light and "tux" look by purchasing a nice tux shirt from Kohl's. It came with a black tie and bowtie AND includes the matching cuff links and black button covers. So there are two options. The regular price for the tux shirt and accessories was $59 and he got it for 50% off. Can't beat the price or the look. The best part is that he packs one black suit. With a dress T, you have yet another more casual look.

Try Target (especially online) as they can order close to sizes in suit separates...

http://www.target.com/Suiting-Separates-Clothing-Men/b/ref=nav_t_spc_2_20/188-2350098-3708940?ie=UTF8&node=15742641

For that 13 year old, you'll probably have to get the pants tailored.

But with a jacket on, it's not the worst thing in the world to just tightly belt pants that are a bit too big.

Archived