BEWARE - We were robbed!

okiedrifters

Just wanted to let anyone going to St. Martin (Dutch side) to beware that there have been a few robberies at the beach (we were at Mullet Bay). We parked our rental car, locked our beach bags in the trunk, took a 10 minute walk, and came back to find that our car and 3 others had windows broken out, and everything in the trunk was gone.

The police said they had worked a few prior to ours. Within an hour they used 2 of 3 credit cards for over $3,000.00. We gave that info to the detective and hope he used it to follow up with the store clerks. We feel there is a gang working together (thieves and store clerks) because after the cards were reported stolen to our cc company, the stores clerk kept trying to put through more charges even though they were asked to confiscate the cards. They didn't!

Could happen anywhere, but frankly I can see how having it happen while on vacation, can leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Based on my discussions with Joyce Prince, the Dutch and French police are working a lot more closely than in recent history, and that is helping with some crime issues. However, IMO, I think the French are at a disadvantage, because their officers are not permanently stationed on the island, they rotate in from France, and only spend a short (a few months I believe) amount of time. I don't see how any of them can ever get to know the people (and the criminals), if they are not there longer?

That's the benefit of an officer with experience and time in a given area, they know their beat, really well...

I'm sorry for your unfortunate experience, but at least you are ok, yes?

I don't understand why car rental companies do not warn people to NEVER leave anything in their trunk. Frequent visitors to the island usually know not to do this. but some people are unaware. A warning from the car rental companies would help, IMHO.

The situation is out of control.

We've rented a couple of times from Unity and they always mention "nothing in the car, nowhere, no time...". The last car we rented had an alarm, separate lock on the gear shift, and the spare tire was chained and locked to the car. That ought to tell you something.

IMO, better to not lock the car. Although you are often the victim of "lurkers" who will wait in the bushes and watch what you put (or have) in the trunk, if it's not obvious that the car is empty they will break glass to get in. That breakage is your responsibility (or your insurance company/credit card's).

Larceny (it's not a Robbery - forceful stealing from a person) from vehicles happens to tourists in all places. Breaking into vehicles is a little more dramatic but still stealing.

Sorry it happens to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very sorry that you got robbed. Hopefully your posting will help others to think before they lock stuff in their cars.

Money, credit cards, personal identification should never be left locked in a car. This applies anywhere. These items should always be carried with you.

Most of these items don't even mind a little water so my husband carries them in a little zippered pocket in his swim trunks. Sometimes we have used the little water-proof containers too.

We were just there for 1 day on a cruise, took a private tour with no problems, but noticed the large number of cars with broken side windows. Google crime St Maarten and large numbers of links. The French side appeared to have a larger contingent of law enforcement, and as a previous poster noted, the french police rotate in and out, so as not to have close ties to the locals.

I am very sad to have heard that you were Robbed; I was told that due to the vast amount of nationalities in St Maarten that it happens and the immigration is deporting lost of people that do not have jobs or papers to live on the Island due to the crime. I do hope they catch those people that did that to you.

so...robberies happen due to "vast amount of nationalities"? i suppose the US isn't for you! we too are plagued by a vast amount of nationalities. i hope you can afford your own private island somewhere to avoid such dangerous territory!

I am very sad to have heard that you were Robbed; I was told that due to the vast amount of nationalities in St Maarten that it happens and the immigration is deporting lost of people that do not have jobs or papers to live on the Island due to the crime. I do hope they catch those people that did that to you.

Archived