Legend 11/2008 Trans-Atlantic Crossing Travelogue

PeaSea8ch

Paul,

Thanks for the update. We all love it.:)

And Leslie, thanks for the info on Conoly and the family. I forgot they like to do the Pride as well. Also my warm hello and love to Shelaeh and Larry. Wonderful memories with them. :p

Sounds like all are having a wonderful time on board. I am sure your seas will stay smooth and your weather warm for the rest of your crossing. Wish I was there.

Miss you all

CruiserKit

Peachy

GO Trivia Team! I heard thru' the grapevine that the Bar Stewards are in 1st....and today is the final day! I'll be "rootin" for 'yall!

I know a wonderful, grand TA was had by all ~~continued great times and making joyous memories! Smooth seas and blue skies above the Legend:p

Pinkie

Welcome Home to the Legend TA Crosser's!

Looks like there are 7 ships berthed at Port Everglades today (11-21st):eek:

Peachy,thank you again for sharing your TA Crossing voyage with all of us. Please post as to the big Trivia winners. What were the prizes?

Safe travels to all of you ~~~

Martita B.

Life aboard the Legend in the Atlantic Ocean is sailing right along. In the early morning hours before the penultimate crossing day, King Neptune and Queen Mariah teamed up to cause a bit of a ruckus with at least 10 foot swells and force 8 winds causing Lady Legend to rock and roll without the help of Eric, Oasis or the rest of the Entertainment Department. Walking into the Veranda for breakfast, the ship rolled to port, I leaned to starboard and the water in the pool surged and splashed out of the pool and gave me a small shower. When I left after breakfast, the water had been drained from the pool, thereby giving the ship more stability. Then, the swells started to hit the ship at a 45° angle, thereby causing the ship to “corkscrew” by pitching up and down and rolling from port to starboard at the same time.

This lasted for 24+ hours and the motion of the ocean was pretty strong requiring use of the handrails. The good news is that, to the best of my knowledge, no one was injured while a few passengers experienced discomfort due to the continuous motion of the ocean. Upon returning back to my suite, I found a banana from the fruit basket on the floor and some small items from the small shelves on the side of the mirror in the bathroom were on the floor by sliding under the “guardrail.” Since some of the passengers were having trouble getting around and Eric was scheduled to be riding around onstage in his rollerblades in the “Broadway Bound” show on the final formal night of the crossing, the formal dress code, was changed to elegant casual and the show was postponed one night to the final night of the crossing. This was absolutely the right thing to do not only for Eric and the entertainers but also for the ladies trying to walk around in high heels and long gowns as well as the wait staff trying to weave around passengers seated in the lounges and deliver drinks (this was a definite challenge during Trivia). By 10:00am the next day, the winds and swells subsided a great deal in time for the enrichment lectures.

The Trivia Tournament always amazes me with the questions and answers given and this year’s was no exception. There were a lot of tough and rather obscure questions — that is why it is called Trivia. In spite of not the best rounds, The Barracudas (the team I was on) remained in second place and our arch rivals The Bar Stewards (the reigning champions from last year’s crossing) were in first place. At the end of regulation play on the final day the standings had reversed and we were in first place and The Bar Stewards were in second. After the April Pride crossing Jeopardy-style bonus question boondoggle, we voted 3 times for one of the 4 categories the bonus questions we would choose as they all encompassed broad areas. We chose entertainment and bet the farm minus 5 points. Almost all who chose the entertainment question got it right but since we had the most points, we won the tournament! This year’s grand prize was the most coveted Seabourn rosewood box. The Bar Stewards answered the most questions correctly 85 (we answered 83 correctly) and won leather Seabourn Eyeglasses cases – very nice. Everyone else received black leather Seabourn bookmarks. It was interesting to see that the spread between most and fewest correct answers of the 10 participating teams during the tournament 85 to 65 — it all boils down to what the point values are for the question at hand.

The Ryder Cup Putting Tournament, on the other hand, was an entirely different matter. The European plus the rest of the world team won all seven matches against the North American team giving them a 7 to 0 lead on points going into the final one-on-one matches. One player from each team was drawn at random and they each get five shots and the player with the highest score earns a point for their team. For the last two years, the North American team has performed a miracle in the final round and won the tournament. However, his year the better team won by consistent play, especially their four best players. Hence, the European plus the rest of the world team crushed the North American team by a final score of 21 to 4. Ouch!

The North Atlantic Tug-of-war Championship was held this crossing and six mighty teams representing all departments battled it out in fierce competition to the finish. In the end, The Dalmatians representing the restaurant who was cheered on by their patron “Marie Antoinette” (aka assistant Maitre d’ Anthony). I will post photos as soon a I can download them from my camera.

The crossing ended on a high note with Eric, Michele, Speedy, Christina and Oasis performing the Broadway Bound show to a packed King Olav Lounge. All performances were great and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oh, those lazy, hazy crazy crossing days! On a Seabourn Yacht, life is good. :)

Paul,

I enjoyed your update on the crossing. I was on the crocks again and we were rotting for your team in final trivia.I think the bar team left there blackberry in the cabin.Ialso liked your pictures Keep up the god work

ED

Welcome home to all the Legend TA Crossers!

Peachy

Thanks again for posting your Travel Log ~~ grrreat! We all enjoyed reading of the happenings aboard the Legend.

Please make plans to join us on the Spring March 18th LAST Pride Crossing ~~~

Happy Thanksgiving!

Pinkie

Thanks Paul for your wonderful review on our Legend crossing; you did a great job! There is not a lot I could add to this!

Maybe a photo show later this week or some links to photo albums or videos.

I enjoyed not only your company, but that of so many others!

René and I already joined the Legend in Alicante, but I never announced this on CC to surprise some Dutch and German friends. Well, the Dutch people were surprised (can you imagine....... with us?) but our German friends already had been informed first by another passenger who recognized me and this was confirmed by our good friend Malachy!

But we still had a good time!

Though I was in pain every single day and had to take lots of pain killers, I was able, or rather set myself to enjoy most of the time. I even walked my laps with my head to one side and I danced on a view occasions!

The pain is there constantly, no matter what I do.

The day before last when he had the motion and the ship was rolling I managed to fall down with my chair outside the veranda café after lunch, but before my ice cream! It really was hilarious, because when I was on the ground, some people came to my rescue, but I was just laughing and couldn't stop! The reason: Nobody knew I fell because I was not holding on to the table any more, because I was making a video! And my fall was recorded too! Then I switched the camera off and finished my ice cream. I fell on my right (double meaning) side and hoped my herniated disks would go back in, but they didn't!

Thanks all friends, crew, passengers and staff for your friendship during this wonderful crossing!

Marja

So, Marja and Paul, have you signed up for thent Fall's Legend Crossing? I do hope so, I am signed up and plan to start in Rome.

We are signed up for the Legend spring crossing, but doing a 3 week cruise in August on the Odyssey, I don't know about the fall crossing yet.

I hope you're well.

Marja

Can only repeat Seabourn-nail's post in thanking Paul for taking the time to post on the Crossing. A great job Paul and there is nothing to add. Thanks for all that sent their good wishes to us (Wripro, Host Dan, DMB707,CruisingKit) - wish you could have all been there to enjoy it with us. Met some new (to us) CC posters including Seabourn-nail (will be in touch soon Marja) and EdwardW.

Shelagh and Larry

Thank you all for your kind words. It really was a great crossing! Marja, I hope you are feeling much better on your next Seabourn adventure. Shelagh & Larry, I so much enjoyed your company and for the entire crossing. ;)

East Coast Jane — I too hope you are felling better and will be in fine form for your upcoming crossing as well. Unfortunately, I will not be aboard the Legend's Fall Trans-Atlantic next year as I will be on the Odyssey's maiden Trans-Atlantic getting to know the newest member of the Seabourn family.

My next assignemtnt is to post some tug-of-war photos.

I arrived home safely with a simple one-stop flight across the country.

The first day I was a little concerned as I did not recognize a soul of the wait staff but those I knew were in leadership positions and they were subtlety training all the time. When I was having breakfast or lunch in the restaurant (when it was not so noisy) the assistant Maitre d’ were reviewing the administrative details of the restaurant operation making certain the attention to the details was being performed. Two cases in point occurred when Arek stopped a waiter and cleaned a soup or sauce spill from a service plate and said to him “we do not serve plates like that in a five-star restaurant.” In another incident Maitre d’ Ross asked a waiter working the Sky Grill Lunch when did he shave last to which the waiter replied “last night.” Ross then said politely “ from now on, shave in the morning and before tea time so you always look sharp.” The overall service was great and I was impressed on how well trained the wait staff was. Always standing straight and tall with one arm always behind their back (except when serving drinks). The food and bar service were excellent on this crossing.

This crossing had it’s own vibe, rhythm and beat. The repeaters were in "the groove" as we walked up the gangway in Malaga and the newcomers, I feel, picked up on it fairly quickly. As I have said before the crossings have become a reunion as we are not distracted by numerous port calls; hence, we are a captive audience and tend to get to know each other and form lasting friendships. This is the best part of cruising!

The entertainment department also plays a big, positive factor in the equation and everything was well run and coordinated. In addition to Eric & Michele being the prime “in house” entertainers and Trivia quizmaster and pencil and paper monitor, classical guitarist Anthony (who ran the Ryder Cup Putting Tournament and did a good job), guest entertainers comedic magicians Mark Merchant and Mark Shortland both amazed & made us laugh and last but not least were guest lecturers Norm Caisse and Dr. Joel Klass who expanded our horizons & gave us a lot to think about.

Of course, I have to mention the hard working ship’s officers and crew. Obviously, the officers for getting us safely across the Atlantic and the crew working behind the scenes, below decks and on the open decks for making it happen. In fact, when I embarked and did my first laps around Deck 8, the ship looked immaculate! The teak decks had been refinished, all the exterior railing had been sanded, stained and lacquered, and the paint looked like it had just been applied. Ditto for the interior as well. Every night one of the stewardesses was on her hands and knees polishing the brass fire door jams. I was very impressed that Seabourn was taking maintenance to a higher level than I have seen before. I think this bodes well for the triplets that Seabourn is taking such good care of them.

I think I have everything listed in the proper order — food & drink, entertainment and the nautical side of the ship. The crossings are all about the signature Seabourn Pampering Service. Everyone works hard to provide the best cruise experience possible. The devil is in the details and Seabourn seems to get it right every time. This is why I, and many others, come back again and again.

Chalk up another wonderful vacation experience! Now, as previously promised, some Tug-of-war photos.

Farewell Freeze Frames:

3f827e0d.jpg

Let’s Rock This Boat!!!

18c7c7c0.jpg

Restaurant Dept. Over Bar Dept. Semifinal Match

02a7bc51.jpg

“Plucky” Pursers Over Engine Room Semifinal Match

d3d2133b.jpg

“Marie Antoinette” (aka Asst. Maitre d’ Anthony)

e016b7d0.jpg

The Restaurant Team Wins The 2008 Fall North Atlantic Tug-Of-War Championship!!

Oh, those lazy, hazy crazy crossing days! On a Seabourn Yacht, life is good.

Hi Paul!

Thanks again for your great review of "our" Seabourn Legend Transatlantic Fall Crossing! And for the photos as well. Nobody can do this better than you! That's why I don't even try.

Well, to be honest I'm writing this post for the second time..... because I tried earlier, but my timing was wrong. Because here in Holland between 10.00 and 11.00 this website is difficult to enter. I should really keep this in mind the next time, because now I lost the entire post.

So this is my second attempt; of course not identical but similar.

Maybe some people would be interested to see the videos I made of this wonderful crossing? I have now posted a few via YouTube (the longer ones) and previously a few via "facebook" (when I didn't know yet, that you have to be registered at "facebook" to be able to view them! That won't happen to me again too! But of course I do invite you to become a member of this very nice website and also a member of the group I started "Seabourn" Guests! It is without any costs and only takes a minute to register. I truly recommend it.

Have a wonderful day Paul and everybody for that matter!

Marja

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found the time to title & package my photos from the crossing. Click on the link below my countdown clock to view them. The movie of the slideshow is still a work-in-progress. Expand to full screen and enjoy!

Oh, those lazy, hazy crazy crossing days! On a Seabourn Yacht, life is good. :)

Archived