Montego Bay Terminal/Port

Juligan

Due to the increase in cost to go to Sunset Beach in Montego Bay and to some unexpected financial challenges, not to mention the unsavory reputation of the area, DH and I have elected to make our Montego Bay stop primarily an "on ship" day. That being said, I think I would like to at least wander around the terminal/port and maybe get our passports stamped.

Can anyone share what it's like when you get off the ship? Are there shops you can browse without going out in the streets? Where would one get their passport stamped? This is only my second cruise and my DH's first. I'm not really sure what to expect.

TIA

Due to the increase in cost to go to Sunset Beach in Montego Bay and to some unexpected financial challenges, not to mention the unsavory reputation of the area, DH and I have elected to make our Montego Bay stop primarily an "on ship" day. That being said, I think I would like to at least wander around the terminal/port and maybe get our passports stamped.

Can anyone share what it's like when you get off the ship? Are there shops you can browse without going out in the streets? Where would one get their passport stamped? This is only my second cruise and my DH's first. I'm not really sure what to expect.

TIA

Hi!

I have not been to the cruise terminal at Mo Bay, but we go to Jamaica often for a "land vacation" and also will be sailing out of there in Dec. on a Princess Cruise. Please try not to be discouraged about Jamaica. It is a beautiful Island and there are lots of very nice people there. It is also perfectly safe, esp. in the day time. It does get a "bad rap". Unfortunately, there is alot of poverty there, and there is a bit of desperation around any cruise ship arrival that makes them seem agressive. I would take a cab to Dr.'s Cave Beach. It isn't far, and it is gorgeous...... it costs $5 to get in, which is cheap but keeps the venders away I think. The entrance is on the "hip strip" (actually very quiet these days. We have walked all around there at night, also and no issues at all!). There are shops and restaurants. One of them is Margueritaville (sp). which is fun and has good food. (Try the conch chowder). As for the venders, they will be pushy but just smile and say "no thank you". They are NOT dangerous! Have fun.

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

TIA

Yes there is port shops when you get off the ship. I was worried about them being aggressive but had a good experience. Not sure about getting passport stamped. Might want to ask at pursers desk on ship about it. Did notice that they do pat down the men when going back on the ship.:)

We were there Nov 5. There are a few shops inside the terminal area. It was crowded but did not feel pressured to buy anything.

I didn't notice any men getting pat down, I think I would have noticed if my husband had that.

I hope you have a lovely day there. We had a good experience, I want to go back.

You're welcome. Jamaica really is beautiful. It is a shame so many can't overlook some of the petty stuff and enjoy the beauty.

Sorry about the typos - I should proof read more or stop multi-tasking or something.

I'm having a hard time with the price increase at Sunset Beach. It used to be $20 before they put the water park in, then $40, and now $60. The $60 does match the sister property in Ocho Rios, but still...

As for safety, I walked back from Sunset Beach and the only people who talked to me were taxi drivers asking if I wanted a ride. It was a nice walk in a nice area and I told all the taxis to sail on!

We were thinking of going to Margaritaville in Montego Bay. It this walking distance from port and if so would you consider it a safe walk. What about other beaches that would be walking distance. It would be me, DH, and kids (15 and 19). Thanks for any advice.

Margaritaville would not be within walking distance. (Unless there is more than one. I have been to the one on the "hip strip"). It would be a pretty short cab ride, and then you are real close to Dr.'s Cave Beach, which is one of the lovliest on the island. Any other beaches around Mo Bay might not be up to expectations. It is a bay, and the water not so clear. Dr.'s Cave is a protected area and away from the ships and all.

You're welcome. Jamaica really is beautiful. It is a shame so many can't overlook some of the petty stuff and enjoy the beauty.

Sorry about the typos - I should proof read more or stop multi-tasking or something.

I'm having a hard time with the price increase at Sunset Beach. It used to be $20 before they put the water park in, then $40, and now $60. The $60 does match the sister property in Ocho Rios, but still...

As for safety, I walked back from Sunset Beach and the only people who talked to me were taxi drivers asking if I wanted a ride. It was a nice walk in a nice area and I told all the taxis to sail on!

Can anyone tell me if this price is through Carnival or through Sunset Beach? And if it is through Sunset Beach where do you purchase the pass? Thank you.:)

don't know about Carnival, but RCCL does not offer an excursion from MoBay to Sunset Beach. You just have to know about it. We took a cab (five minute ride-$2.00 pp each way plus tip) and bought the wristband at the hote check-in lobby. We paid $40. in February. Would be hard to justify 60. unless you were a big drinker.

Can anyone tell me if this price is through Carnival or through Sunset Beach? And if it is through Sunset Beach where do you purchase the pass? Thank you.:)

No, this is Sunset Beach's direct price. You pay them the $60 when you arrive.

Archived