Vancouver to Hawaii or Panama Canal?

SeaBreezy

Just wanting some advice on which itinerary to choose! I have asked questions here and there throughout the boards for particulars on each itinerary, and have received some great information, but I just can't decide which to book for next fall! I know I would like to cruise RCCL, but just simply can't make a decision.

Any advice on choosing? I'd LOVE to hear from those of you that have done either or especially from those of you that have done both! Even if it wasn't RCCL, what would you pick? Can you tell me some specifics? I know others would like this information as well.

Thanks for your help!:)

SeaBreezy

I did the Vancouver to Hawaii (11 day) it was great. I have not done Panama yet.

My only suggestion is ...I will probably do Hawaii to Vancouver so I can relax on the way back at sea. I was pooped leaving Maui at midnight to fly back to Vancouver after all our excursions.

I would factor in flight time and costs. If you live in Vancouver then the Hawaii cruise would be the obvious choice. However, if you live in LA or Miami then the Panama Canal cruise would make sense. Can you tell I hate to fly?

What about the actual cost of the cruie? Are the prices similar? How about the selection as far as ships? I have been in your shoes and made a pro-con list which helped us decide.

We have done the Vancouver to Hawaii twice (actually as b2b's-stayed on to Mexico) and love it. The sea days are so relaxing. We do our first Canal cruise this April.

If you like lots of days at sea, Vancouver to Hawaii is great. We did this last year. Cruised to Hawaii on Legend of the Seas from Vancouver and back to Ensenada on Radiance of the Seas with a week in between spent in Honolulu. It was the PERFECT vacation. Would love to do that again next year, but can't seem to find the right combination of cruises - yet! But I'm still looking! We love Hawaii and have always found the weather there in September/early October to be wonderful. Not sure if I'd like to do the Panama Canal in the fall - hurricane season and all in the Caribbean. We did the Panama Canal - from LA to FL in February one year and had pretty good weather. Also did it in early December one year, and it was nice then too - and not terribly hot and humid at that time. Of course, weather is ALWAYS unpredictable. Happy Cruising!

Seabreezy:

I've sailed Vancouver to Hawaii (or reverse) 5 times now on RCI -- Rhapsody of the Seas, Legend of the Seas and 3 times on the Radiance of the Seas.

Have loved each and every one of those trips. Have sailed in both the spring and the fall.

I didn't write a review from this years cruise in the fall, but last years cruise reviews to/from Hawaii can be found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=1846 Legend of the Seas

and

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=1845 Radiance of the Seas

I haven't yet sailed Panama from here so can't compare for you.

Whichever you decide to do I'm sure you'll enjoy all the relaxing sea days.

Dave

We've done them both (Hawaii 3 times-Vancouver to Hawaii 2 of those times). The Panama Canal is amazing. Pictures and descriptions don't do it justice. If you have the chance, do the Canal. Hawaii is beautiful and I'd do it again in a heartbeat but I'm glad we got the chance to see the Canal.

I haven't done the Panama canal, but I have gone thru locks in a private boat, and after that, I can't imagine that doing a cruise ship would be that exciting. I hope to do Panama someday, but it is not a priority for me, personally. I loved our cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii on the Radiance in 2001. It is the best kind of cruise, as you get to really explore the ship on the sea days and Hawaii is the best, period. Then you can add a pre or post stay in Hawaii, for the perfect vacation.

jc

Archived