Virox Wipes

bebob

Wikipedia

"Asepsis" is the practice to reduce or eliminate contaminants (such as bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites) from entering the operative field in surgery or medicine to prevent infection. Ideally, a field is "sterile" — free of all contaminants — a situation that is difficult to attain. However, elimination of infection is the goal of asepsis, not sterility."

The use of the alcohol wipes with 20 seconds friction should create

medical asepsis. That is why the nurse uses it before the shot.

Sterility is attainable on instruments by use of extreme heat in the

autoclave oven. Is is not necessarily attainable on human skin.

I only mention them as an alternative to Virox. Alcohol wipes are

readily available at most drug stores -- e.g. Walgreens, etc.

Wikipedia

"Asepsis" is the practice to reduce or eliminate contaminants (such as bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites) from entering the operative field in surgery or medicine to prevent infection. Ideally, a field is "sterile" — free of all contaminants — a situation that is difficult to attain. However, elimination of infection is the goal of asepsis, not sterility."

The use of the alcohol wipes with 20 seconds friction should create

medical asepsis. That is why the nurse uses it before the shot.

Sterility is attainable on instruments by use of extreme heat in the

autoclave oven. Is is not necessarily attainable on human skin.

I only mention them as an alternative to Virox. Alcohol wipes are

readily available at most drug stores -- e.g. Walgreens, etc.

Jackson%20-%20Greyhound%20Bus%20Station.jpg

Has anyone ever wondered why the doors on public restrooms on cruise ships are not hung in such a way that the door would open to the outside, requiring only that it be pushed open with a shoulder?

Think about how many people walking by outside that door could be whacked.

They'll offer you Purell all over the ship, and they wouldn't freely dispense something that doesn't work. Just remember that whichever brand you choose, it must be over 60% ethyl alcohol to be effective.

I agree with you on both facts. BTW, we celebrate the same birth date. 12/14/46!! Far Out:) I,ll check out your URL.

{Has anyone ever wondered why the doors on public restrooms on cruise ships are not hung in such a way that the door would open to the outside, requiring only that it be pushed open with a shoulder? The hand should never have to contact a knob or lever in order to exit. With all the norovirus problems on cruise ships, doesn't it seem that this would be a worthwhile modification?}

I've thought of this too and it's not just on cruise ships! I'll be in a restaurant restroom and after thoroughly washing my hands I look up and see (scary dramatic theme music here!) that dreaded germy bathroom handle!

Now you have to think of several creative ways to exit the bathroom and keep your hands clean. So do you:

1. Use a paper towel to open the bathroom door. Then use your foot to keep the door propped open while trying to toss your used paper towel in a trashcan that's halfway across the room?

2. Time it just right that someone else opens to the door in front of you so you can whisk out right after them without touching the handle?

3. Pull down your sleeve cuff over your hand (no paper towels anywhere) to open the door?

4. Open the door with one finger of your opposite hand you won't be eating with. Then try to remember at dinner not to pick up that fried chicken and rolls with both hands?

5. Merrily use alcohol wipes at the dinner table.

And the golden rule. If the bathroom looks this bad---how sanitary is the kitchen? Ewwwww....

Tara :)

Archived