Virox Wipes

bebob

I'm scheduled to sail on the 11/29/08 Zuiderdam cruise and a little nervous with all of this norovirus talk. Does anyone know where and if virox wipes can be purchased so that we can take them with us? Thanks.

I'm scheduled to sail on the 11/29/08 Zuiderdam cruise and a little nervous with all of this norovirus talk. Does anyone know where and if virox wipes can be purchased so that we can take them with us? Thanks.

I just read about them today, and I'll have my druggist check into it tomorrow. It might be more easily found at a hospital supply company. If I find any, I'll post here.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

Hi Bebob... welcome to cruise critic... come join our roll call... we are sailing with you...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=667714

I'm scheduled to sail on the 11/29/08 Zuiderdam cruise and a little nervous with all of this norovirus talk.
Don't forget to be extra careful on the plane to/from the ship as well. My DD and DSiL got Noro on a plane returning from New Zealand. They had NOT been on a cruise, but many of their fellow plane passenger had been! :eek:

I can't find a place to get these wipes... will lysol spray, clorox wipes and hand sanitizer be enough????

thorough hand washing is your best defense. hand sanitizers do not kill Noro virus, and neither does Lysol. there is a lot of soaking time needed with bleach to kill it too. good, thorough hand-washing and not touching your mouth or eyes or nose with unwashed hands are the best way to avoid Nor.

Just wanted to correct a few... I copied this from the Center for Disease Control (CDC)

About The Norovirus The Norovirus is actually a group of viruses that cause the stomach flu or gastroenteritis. The symptoms include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The illness is usually brief, lasting one to two days. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers kill the virus. Vigorous hand washing is the best way to prevent the spread from person to person.

I just want the CORRECT info out there for everybody!!!

Just wanted to correct a few... I copied this from the Center for Disease Control (CDC)

About The Norovirus The Norovirus is actually a group of viruses that cause the stomach flu or gastroenteritis. The symptoms include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The illness is usually brief, lasting one to two days. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers kill the virus. Vigorous hand washing is the best way to prevent the spread from person to person.

So Purell would work then... it is alcohol based... right?

Found this information to be helpful...

"What this should say to the consumer is that they need to look carefully at the label before they buy any of these products," said Elaine Larson, professor of pharmaceutical and therapeutic research at Columbia's nursing school. "Check the bottle for active ingredients. It might say ethyl alcohol, ethanol, isopropanol or some other variation, and those are all fine. But make sure that whichever of those alcohols is listed, its concentration is between 60 and 95 percent. Less than that isn't enough."

Came from this article in the NY Times...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/21/health/21cons.html

I have several CDC links that I refer to, but I haven't been able to find this statement. Can you provide a link to that information? I'd like to use it in norovirus discussions.

Thanks

Many (most?) of the guests who bring Noro aboard ships, get it on the planes on their way to the ship. :(

Another wonderful treat from those disgusting metal tubes. :rolleyes:

So best we all take precautions...

Make sure to use a tissue when you open and close the toilet/restroom lock/door... Why bother washing your hands if you are gonna touch that after everyone else?

When queuing for the restroom, its amazing how often the flush goes, and the door opens immediately... mmmm...

Ick....

Many (most?) of the guests who bring Noro aboard ships, get it on the planes on their way to the ship. :(

Another wonderful treat from those disgusting metal tubes. :rolleyes:

Is there evidence to support this????

Don't think so.

however..

Critical to wash hands a lot..anywhere. I take clorex wipes and wipe down the seat arms and the entertainment controls and seat belt closure. Ok a bit excessive. but when you think how many people use the plane.

Yes the Purell brand will work just fine, you just need to read the labels as you stated before...

They'll offer you Purell all over the ship, and they wouldn't freely dispense something that doesn't work. Just remember that whichever brand you choose, it must be over 60% ethyl alcohol to be effective.

I'm also trying to find a good bleachy wipe for surfaces.

NoroVirus.gif.7b881ad6d3aee6ecf3ed2f87c51099f1.gif

They'll offer you Purell all over the ship, and they wouldn't freely dispense something that doesn't work. Just remember that whichever brand you choose, it must be over 60% ethyl alcohol to be effective.

I'm also trying to find a good bleachy wipe for surfaces.

If you find a good bleechy wipe can you post it here?

Clorox wipes do not contain bleach. ;)

http://www.clorox.com/products/faqs.php?prod_id=cdw#faq4

Thanks. On the same site:

Q. Can I use Clorox® Disinfecting Wipes as a hand wipe or for personal use?

A. No, Clorox® Disinfecting Wipes should not be used for personal cleansing. You should wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling.

Q. Can Clorox® Disinfecting Wipes be flushed down the toilet?

A. No. Dispose of wipes in the trash after use.

One might want to pack along some alcohol wipes.

These are the folded wipes that the nurse uses to

disinfect skin prior to giving a shot.

They are individually packaged, and are the size of

a "folded fingerbowl" wet wipe that some restaurants

hand out. Would easily fit in a purse, pocket, backpack, etc.

They should cost just over a penny a piece, in a carton

of 100 or 200. ($ 1.30 to $ 2.55 a carton).

They usually contain at least 70% alcohol.

I think they would be good also for shorex, where restroom

is not always handy.

Has anyone ever wondered why the doors on public restrooms on cruise ships are not hung in such a way that the door would open to the outside, requiring only that it be pushed open with a shoulder? The hand should never have to contact a knob or lever in order to exit. With all the norovirus problems on cruise ships, doesn't it seem that this would be a worthwhile modification?

By the way, all these various solutions/wipes that are being suggested are sanitizers, not sterilizers. Some viral particles/bacteria will always survive. Don't be complacent just because you're using one of these products.

Archived