Horseback Riding - Skagway

kimbtech

No, but run a search of this site and you will find your answer. I believe there were some negative comments about the Skagway riding offered by the cruise companies. People rave about an independent there with stables in the Emerald Lake area, so it combines the riding with a road tour into the Yukon. In fact, I think the Suggestions For Skagway post that was just bumped up has some good info on this and the web link.

http://www.southeasttours.com/03_skagway_yukon_horseback.html

This company that does the riding out of the Yukon consistantly gets raves. My room mate once went with the ship booked Skagway tour and felt it was too costly, very basic and best for only very beginners.

Yes I've done the horseback riding trip out of Skagway and it was great. On the way to Emerald Lake Ranch you will see the beautiful scenary of White Pass and the Carcross desert.

The ride is wonderful. Breathtaking views, the horses are calm and healthy and Joni is a very experienced and knowledgable guide.

have a look at www.yukonhorses.com for more information and pictures.

Be aware that there are 3 horseback tours out of Skagway. One goes through the forest at Dyea, one is run out of Spirit Lake Lodge, and the other is Joni's Emerald Lake Ranch. Few people talk about the first two, and the reports I've seen haven't generally been very positive - the one that always gets great reviews is Joni's - http://www.yukonhorses.com

Murray

Hi

We took Joni's tour last summer and had a nice time---she takes you up to a couple of points where you get to see some fabulous scenery. To me, however, the highlight of the trip was the ride out and back. It really is a very pretty drive--I don't think I have ever seen such beautiful county before. We took the Southeast Tours trip to Joni's rancj--I think the cost was about $150 per person. If money were an issue, I would recommend just renting a car in Skagway (see other posts on this topic) and pass on the horseback riding. I think you could do that for less than hanlf the cost of the Southeast Tour. Don't get me wrong--the horseback riding was fun, but to me the most memorable part of the trip was the trip out and back.

We are planning to go with Joni in June '05 and were in touch with Southeast Tours last week who said that they won't be booking for next summer until January and to contact them then. I also got in touch with Joni and she is so nice. We've heard great things about this tour and can't wait!

There are two horseback ride excursions on the Alaska Cruise, one in Juneau and the other in Skagway. In 2000 I did the Juneau one sponsored by the cruise ship. It was fairly simple, but I did get to ride in Alsaska. Horses were OK. We are going on the May 29th Sapphire Princess and do the Dyea horseback trip, through the cruise ship excursions. One reason is it is short enough you can still get another excursion fitted in and see the sights in Skagway. If all you want to do is ride, I would probably do another outfitters ride. Skagway is the most scenic of all the ports.

Archived