Acapulco, Manzanillo, Ixtapa Tours?

andynapril

Has anyone used Chamal Tours to do the Colima/Comala Tour? If so how did you like it and what did you do?

Looks like you're leaving here pretty soon! I have read just a couple of positive things about Chimal Tours, but have wondered myself since they are pretty much the only ones I could find for Manzanillo. You should come back here after your cruise & let us know what you did & what tour companies you used. :)

Just returned home from Spirit. We used Acapulco Rosie for a private tour for four. Our guide was Lao and he was wonderful. Nice, clean, air conditioned van with complimentary drinks.

We emailed Rosie and told her what we wanted to do. Told her we did not want to go to flee markets or personal houses. Rosie met us at the port and introduced us to Lao, then told us all that Lao was ours for the day. She had made reservations for us at La Perla, at our request. We ended up with an 8 hour tour, including the cliff diver show during dinner and had a fabulous time. Cost us $200 total. Dinner was not included in the price of the tour. Ended up actually seeing the divers twice during dinner. Food was good, but the margaritas were horrible! You can reach Rosie through email. dew_days at hotmail dot com

You are the first person I've heard say the food is good at La Perlas!!! Can you tell me more of your experience there?? How much was your dinner? How was the service? Were you able to sit up front?

On advice from friends we booked no tours through Carnival, and just winged it. As soon as you get off the boat there are numerous people waiting to take you all over.

In Acapulco we found a man who for only $60 took us all over the town. He would just wait for us. We went to CiCi Waterpark and swam with the dolphins. What a marvelous treat! And it was over 1/2 off what Carnival wanted in Ixtapa. We then ventured over to Sr Frogs, went a city tour and he took us off the beaten path to some marveous shopping. We ended with a great dinner and back on the ship. We didn't get much beach time, it was just too crowded. That was the only downside to Acapulco.

In Zih we walked the town, ate a great lunch, then went on a Sail and Snorkel tour. That was really nice. It was through Picante. I did book that online and again got a better deal then going through Carnival. Here they took you out for a great sail, then the snorkeling and on the way back you sailed, ate some delicious pastries, fruit, and all the alcohol you wanted. After that we did some shopping and back on the ship. We loved this place so much, we are going back this year.

Manzanillo was just ok. You dock in a really ugly area and everything is pretty far away from the ship. Once we got a cab we had to drive quite a while to get to a good beach area. There was shopping nearby. The highlight was a restaurant we found on the beach that had great seafood. We were back on the ship fairly early. It really reminded me of a big Ensenada.

Just returned home from Spirit. We used Acapulco Rosie for a private tour for four. Our guide was Lao and he was wonderful. Nice, clean, air conditioned van with complimentary drinks.

We emailed Rosie and told her what we wanted to do. Told her we did not want to go to flee markets or personal houses. Rosie met us at the port and introduced us to Lao, then told us all that Lao was ours for the day. She had made reservations for us at La Perla, at our request. We ended up with an 8 hour tour, including the cliff diver show during dinner and had a fabulous time. Cost us $200 total. Dinner was not included in the price of the tour. Ended up actually seeing the divers twice during dinner. Food was good, but the margaritas were horrible! You can reach Rosie through email. dew_days at hotmail dot com

I highly recommend Rosie. She will tailor your tour to your interests. She is knowledgeable, reliable, professional and fun.

Rick

We went on a tour with Rosie in Acapulco. We went and released turtles, visited the church with the big cross on the hill, ate dinner, saw the cliff divers and a magnificent night view of Acapulco. The traffic was awful it took us forever to get out of town and on our way to the turtle sanctuary. There were 11 of us on this tour. The thing I liked was that she had a microphone that she used to tell us about the area so even those of us in the back of the van could hear. The reason I say this is because that is the only thing I didn't like about our Chimal tour in Manzanillo with Paco to Colima/Comala. Sitting in the back we could not hear much of anything. The tour was great we drove a long ways from Manzanillo to get to these cities. I am really glad we did go it made for a great day. Let me warn you there are many speed bumps on the roads so if you are tall your head will be hitting the roof of the van. If your group is smaller they will take you in a suburban which would be more comfortable leg room wise I think. We saw banana plantations, agave, papaya & coconut groves. We missed the fruit stand because it was Sunday and they were closed. We did stop at an open air candy and souviner shop along the road and he passed out coconut candy. We then stopped for some shopping and to look around at a church and the government buildings. We then headed to an area with some rocks that were formed into some raised areas and we climbed around on them and we could see the volcano in the distance smoking. We then headed to the other little town were we could get a closer view of the volcano and then stopped at a coffee packaging plant were they have a little shop out in front and they gave everyone a cup of coffee and a danish. They had a coffee bush there so you could see what they look like. We then headed back to the other town for lunch. The serve you family style. You definetely will not leave there hungry. We walked around there some more and again did some shopping. Paco then took us back to Manzanillo on the toll road so we could go faster and no speed bumps. Most of us fell asleep. Then the most amazing site. He stopped so we could look at some trees that were filled with Iguanas and I do mean filled and they are not small. We stopped again in the shopping area which we could get some pictures with the huge sword fish statue. Paco told my son were to go to get his soccer team jearsy but again they were closed due to the fact it was Sunday. But as we were driving back to the ship we saw a vendor selling them along the road so he did a quick stop for us so my son could get his jersey. I highly recomend this tour. I would not have had much fun hanging out in Manzanillo all day. The perfect beach day is Zihuatanejo I think.

We were on the Christmas cruise on Carnival Spirit. Our expectations were exceeded by the very good food in both the dining room and buffet.

Acapulco - This was Christmas Day. We stayed onboard except for visiting the shops at the dock. We have been to Acapulco several times before. For the first time on our cruises we docked on the Starboard side of the ship. Our cabin was on the portside, so we had lovely views from our balcony all day. After dinner onboard, our family took a taxi to see the cliff divers and enjoyed the torch diving.

Z/I - We met Charlie Brown at the end of the dock. He has his own taxi and is one of the white uniformed independent tour drivers available for hire. We took a tour with him a couple of years ago. He is a very nice man, delivered us to La Perla at La Ropa beach where we enjoyed yummy snacks and a nice day on the beach. Charlie returned to pick us up at the agreed upon time. We had some time for shopping in the little village before tendering back to the ship.

Manzanillo - Our grandson and his Dad went deep sea fishing. They caught lots of Bonita, saw sea turtles and dolphins but no sailfish for them. The other 7 of us contracted with Carlos at the pier for a 4-hr tour of the area including stops at Las Hadas and the Karimina Palace. Carlos said a new dock right in the downtown area should be finished in a couple of months, and that will make it an easier port for exploring/shopping on your own.

Being Christmas week, all the ports were very crowded, especially the beaches in Manzanillo. Carlos said the two holiday weeks and Easter week are always VERY busy. We were unable to have lunch at Karimina Palace because they were so busy with all inclusive resort guests. There was, however, a ship's tour that went there.

We really enjoy this itinerary.

• 2 months later...
On advice from friends we booked no tours through Carnival, and just winged it. As soon as you get off the boat there are numerous people waiting to take you all over.

In Acapulco we found a man who for only $60 took us all over the town. He would just wait for us. We went to CiCi Waterpark and swam with the dolphins. What a marvelous treat! And it was over 1/2 off what Carnival wanted in Ixtapa. We then ventured over to Sr Frogs, went a city tour and he took us off the beaten path to some marveous shopping. We ended with a great dinner and back on the ship. We didn't get much beach time, it was just too crowded. That was the only downside to Acapulco.

In Zih we walked the town, ate a great lunch, then went on a Sail and Snorkel tour. That was really nice. It was through Picante. I did book that online and again got a better deal then going through Carnival. Here they took you out for a great sail, then the snorkeling and on the way back you sailed, ate some delicious pastries, fruit, and all the alcohol you wanted. After that we did some shopping and back on the ship. We loved this place so much, we are going back this year.

Manzanillo was just ok. You dock in a really ugly area and everything is pretty far away from the ship. Once we got a cab we had to drive quite a while to get to a good beach area. There was shopping nearby. The highlight was a restaurant we found on the beach that had great seafood. We were back on the ship fairly early. It really reminded me of a big Ensenada.

TamiJay - I was wondering if you could give me more information regarding the Picante Sailing Tour? We're thinking of doing this when we go in November. Do you remember approx how much it was? Did it depend on the number of people you had? Did you pay in advance or on the day of the tour? Thanks!

I think the Picante cat tour is thru the carnival ship and is $89 for about 3.5 hours. Check it out on the ship excursions. I have also read that it is a good tour. We usually book private, but there don't seem to be any options.

We just came back from our cruise. Thanks to many helpful posts we did the following:

Acapulco: Did a tour with Rosie. Great tour, six of us in the van. I think that it was $45. Seven hour tour.

Zi: Like others, walked through town and grapped a cab to Playa La Ropa. $4. each way. Rented chairs, umbrella etc. Great beach, fabulous view of the ship

Manzanillo: Cab to Las Hadas resort. $10. each way. $30. pp entry fee (includes coupons for food and drink...if you take pesos it is 300 pesos which equals $20).

We were very pleased with all three choices.

I think the Picante cat tour is thru the carnival ship and is $89 for about 3.5 hours. Check it out on the ship excursions. I have also read that it is a good tour. We usually book private, but there don't seem to be any options.

I didn't even know this was offered through Carnival. I found the website: http://www.picantecruises.com/tours.html. I wonder if you can book directly? I would prefer. Anybody know? It must be cheaper....... Looks like a great time.

We just came back from our cruise. Thanks to many helpful posts we did the following:

Acapulco: Did a tour with Rosie. Great tour, six of us in the van. I think that it was $45. Seven hour tour.

Zi: Like others, walked through town and grapped a cab to Playa La Ropa. $4. each way. Rented chairs, umbrella etc. Great beach, fabulous view of the ship

Manzanillo: Cab to Las Hadas resort. $10. each way. $30. pp entry fee (includes coupons for food and drink...if you take pesos it is 300 pesos which equals $20).

We were very pleased with all three choices.

Was Las Hadas worth it? Did you enjoy it. Do they have a beach there or only a swimming pool? Can you rent snorkel equipment? How was the food & drink? Thanks for any info!

April

We really liked Las Hadas. It is an older resort but it is in beautiful condition. They do have a beach but we preferred the pool. The resort was not very busy so it was especially nice. We brought our own towel with us. THey supply towels but there is a deposit of some sort. We ate bar food. I had a hamburger and DW has grilled chicken and salad. Both were excellent. They did have a buffet but after a few days on the ship we were just as happy to have a meal served at the pool. We walked around the estate. We did not rent any snorket equipment. When we got off the ship, the first taxi driver wanted 15-20 dollars taxi fare. We had been told 10 was the norm. We offered this and it was accepted. The taxi driver takes you right to the gate where you pay. Have pesos, it will be 300 pesos or $30. It was a very nice spot.

If you do a google on las hadas you will find full details of the resort. Try also tripadvisor. The ship had an excursion to another resort that was on a much longer stretch of sand. It think it was about $90. per person for the excursion. We chose to do our own thing. Someone told me the ship had three bus loads going to the other resort.

The expensive resort is Karima Palace. TOO MUCH $$ for us. Las Hadas is older and not so nice anymore. The best way for us is to briefly visit Las Hadas on a FREE walking tour, and then take the cab right nearby to Audencia Beach. It cost $1 to rent a chair and there is plenty to see and do. Vendors ready to take you for a snorkle and more. Tasty and inexpensive food and drink all around. NICE

Las Hadas

STP62014.jpg

STP61972.jpg

Audencia Beach

?action=view&current=IMG_3839.jpgIMG_3839.jpg

audncia.jpg

Hey Sofi,

Thanks for the info. We don't really need to walk Las Hadas. Just looking for a nice beach to let the kids hang out & snokel. We were trying to decide if it was worth 300 pesos pp, so I'm thinking not if it's not so nice anymore. I might check out Audencia Beach. How much do you think a taxi from the ship would cost? Anybody know?

Audiencia beach is not close. The Cruise pier is in a large industrial ship yard. The cabs that service shipfront are more expensive than if you walk the long walk out of the ship yard. I think we paid about $15 to return from Audencia Beach for 2 of us. As you can see on the map below; the major resorts are very close to Audiencia Beach.

The last time we stopped in Manzanillo we asked the crew what they do in port. Some responded that they go to a small beach just west of the cruise pier. They have a small palapa resturant where you can buy seafood and cook it yourself. We joined them and had fun cooking fish and shrimp.

The shopping area near the cruise port has no beach, and the best part is the large Sailfish statue.

Manzanillo.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

Thanks for the info & pics Sofi. We were on this cruise a couple of years ago, but we're taking our teenage daughters this time, as well as a few other friends. They really want a beach day with water toys so that's why I was thinking Audiencia beach would be good. We're going to do tours in Acapulco & Ixtapa, so I was thinking a nice inexpensive beach day in Manzanillo would be nice. Do you have any other suggestions, or do you think this beach would be good? Thanks!

April

• 2 weeks later...
Very good to know. We'll probably use them. Thanks for the info. Did you use any other tour operators in the other ports. Not as easy to find them for Ixtapa or Manzanillo. I did find Chimal tours. Anyone used them?

Has anyone used Chamal Tours to do the Colima/Comala Tour? If so how did you like it and what did you do?

Hello there,

We just returned from the Panama Canal transit on the Carnival Pride where our first port was Manzanillo. We had previously been there in January of 2008 on the Carnival Spirit. I had tried to book Chimal tours at that time but the arrangements fell through. This time, I started early and had lots of communication with Paco in the months leading up to the tour. I can not recommend him highly enough! His English is excellent, his sense of humor great and he packed so much information and so many sights into a 5 hour tour. We had hoped for 6 hours but the private tour guides had difficulty in getting to the passengers. That and a very early arrival (7:00 AM) made for a difficult time in packing more in. We were especially interested in the Magic Zone but we got much more than that. We visited both Colima and Comala with plenty of time to see the government palace, the museum, the church or even do shopping. We were able to stop and get pictures of the volcano, see the "pyramids" along the way and Paco gave a running commentary on all the fruit plantations, main agricultural products and industry as we drove along. We were in a large comfortable van and had no dificulty in hearing him. We were originally scheduled for lunch in Comala but elected to forego that when we had our time shortened. We were able to do some shopping in Comala and Paco bought a couple of cups of fruit for us to sample. We pre-ordered drinks, water, soft drinks and/or beer and Paco had them for us in an ice chest. For our 5 hours we paid $45.00 PP which was about half of what the Carnival tour which covered less would have been. I would highly recommend Paco and will use him again when we return to Manzanillo. Paco can be reached at Chimaltours@prodigy.net.mx Web site is www.chimaltours.com cell number is 044 314 11 6-59-74

Archived