Renting scooter in St Thomas/St John

2 lucky kitties

Hi all,

Has anyone ever rented a scooter to get around St. Thomas & St. John? I've been reading that the traffic is bad and I'm just wondering how dangerous driving a scooter around town will be. We always rent a scooter when we visit Bermuda so driving on the left won't be a problem for us.

Also, does anyone know if scooters are allowed on the passenger ferrys between St. Thomas & St. John? We are not that interested in shopping in St. Thomas so our plan was to rent the scooter, take the ferry from either CA or Red Hook and spend the day checking out the beaches of St. John at our leisure.

Any and all advice is welcome:)

Thanks!!

Traffic is pretty bad on St. Thomas -- it's not just driving on the left that you have to worry about. You have to worry more about tourists in rental cars attempting to drive on the left. :p

Your luck may be better on St. John. Cruz Bay can get a little crazy but it's not bad. Once you're out of town traffic's not too bad at all.

But then, you have a number of steep hills and hairpin turns to negotiate. If they're not an issue, I'd try renting a scooter on St. John.

I see tourists all the time on the rented scooters. Most of them take less traveled routes to avoid the traffic - say going past Havensight to Frenchman's Bay, and around the island that way. There's less traffic.

I think they then go out to the East End, and come back via Skyline, down Donoe and Raphune Hill, along the Waterfront through town heading west to Emerald Beach or UVI.

They're ususally 2 to a bike.

They're usually going very slowly, because they're sightseeing. There are a few accidents, but then there are also auto accidents.

Sorry, don't know about taking a scooter to STJ. You should talk directly to the different scooter vendors, because there may be one that allows it.

I just received my confirmation to hold a scooter on St Thomas & have to get back to them about transporting it to St John. It sort of implies that you can but I can remember something that the ferry doesn't allow it. I'll post an answer ASAP.

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your reservation. We are looking forward to your arrival. Your reservation reference number is: 12345Y1

Just Let us know what time you would like the scooter and at what port and we will deliver it you. You can leave the scooter at the parking lot with the key locked in the storage compartment please call us when finished.

We do require a 24 hour notice of cancellation, unless of course the weather makes it impossible to ride safely. Please email or call if you do decide to cancel, so your credit card will not be charged for the minimum rate.

When you get here, we will provide you with a map and detailed directions as well as highlighting all major points of interest on St. Thomas and St. John. That way you can explore the islands at your own pace and no guided tour is necessary

It is important that you have experience riding scooters/motorcycles. Thank you for your inquiry and if you have any other questions, please feel free to call or email us again.

Warm Caribbean regards,

David

Biz Scooter Rentals

(340)7745840

I just found my answer about transporting it to St John. I'm not sure if I want to spend the extra $45 for St John or not at this point since we'll be just fine at St Thomas beaches for the day.

As follows:

St. Thomas - St. John Car Barge

Car barge service is available between Redhook, St. Thomas and Cruz Bay, St. John. There are three independently run car barges. Passengers ride with car at no extra charge. It is recommend that you arrive at least 25 minutes prior to departure. The Port Authority charges a Port Fee of $3 for cars, small and medium SUVs and motorcycles. For pick-up trucks, vans and large SUVs the chare is $6. The fee is collected at the Red Hook Ferry Dock on St. Thomas by uniformed fee collectors.

Time: 20-25 minutes

Love City Car Ferries' Captain Vic (340) 779-4000

Rates: $42 roundtrip, $27 one-way.

Leaving Red Hook, St. Thomas Leaving Cruz Bay, St. John

7:00 am*

9:00 am

11:00 am

1:00 pm

3:00 pm

5:00 pm

7:00 pm

*7:00 am ferry is not offered on weekends.

6:15 am*

8:00 am

10:00 am

12 noon

2:00 pm

4:00 pm

6:15 pm

*6:15 am ferry is not offered on weekends.

I decided to rent the scooter (I'm renting from Biz as well RCACACE) and stay on St. Thomas. There seems to be many nice beaches that are good for snorkeling there. I'll save exploring St. John for another trip.

I'll let you know how the traffic was when we get home - we are leaving for our cruise Nov. 23rd...just a few days away :)

Thanks again!

I decided to rent the scooter (I'm renting from Biz as well RCACACE) and stay on St. Thomas. There seems to be many nice beaches that are good for snorkeling there. I'll save exploring St. John for another trip.

I'll let you know how the traffic was when we get home - we are leaving for our cruise Nov. 23rd...just a few days away :)

Thanks again!

By the time you get back we'll be on the way. It's been quite a few years since we rented a bike in St Thomas- At one time somewhere around 1988 or so they discontinued renting them because of getting insurance but in the last couple of years they've returned. We'll be doing a tour of the island to parts we haven't see in many years although we stop at the island often. I imagine we'll get to Coci Beach until it gets to crowded with the cruise ship tours :eek: & then take off. As I remember it there was a nice beach located near the airport- Can't remember the name. Although it doesn't make much difference as long as I don't have to hang downtown while my wife goes though all the shops.

Thanks again!

If you want to snorkel the better choice is Coci Beach on St Thomas and not Megans bay. There are hardly many fish at Megans compared to Coci & it does get crowded once the tours from the ships get there. I haven't been there in many years but I imagine it hasn't changed much. There's a shack bar for drinks & restrooms.

Archived