Need guide to tipping in oz & nz

MOYSHA

My dilemma is the opposite - tipping is not the norm in Oz and NZ, yet being an American ship the staff probably expect to be tipped? Would it be rude if we do not tip (in addition to the "automatic" tipping charged to our accounts)?

I usually tip the dining room waitstaff and room steward extra in the envelopes provided at the end of the cruise because their service is so much more personalised.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I am quite happy to tip (when the service is good) if the tipping is "voluntary".

Also just found out HAL is refunding us the fuel supplement - it's like getting a "tip"! (Even though it was my money to start with.)

Sue

Oh for crying out loud! How many more times? Tipping is neither necessary nor expected. Just smile and say thank you!

This whole attitude of feeling guilty if you don't tip is a North American problem. We don't need it in Australia or New Zealand.

Amen...wouldn't you expect another tipping thread, to generate flak on Cruise Critic. Some of the people here in the US think you must tip if somebody opens a door for you. We are cheap we carry our own bags etc as we don't intend to tip if we can help it. I'd surely like your way better. There are Millions of folks who work very hard here , but not in a visible service job, who get NO TIPS ever, and earn low wages.When did you last tip the janitor, or busboy, nighttime cleaning lady, or bus driver?? These guys have got you feeling guilty. We do tip at restaurants but minimum, posters here will "flame" you for that, but this tipping business has created a monster workforce who won't do a decent days work for you unless "bribed" to do so. We have created this situation, a very inequitable one for many workers as I stated. People shouldn't have to be bribed to do the job they're paid for! So pay them what is equitable and stop the guilt trips we're put on for the Poor Waiters, bellboys, etc.:rolleyes:

For example, on our Sydney hotel stay, the tip for the bellhop service was included for arrival, but not for departure. That tells me I was expected to tip when I left.
Nope. You are just kidding yourself. No tip was expected for any of this.

Of course, virtually nobody's going to turn down free money thrown at them, in whatever odd foreign currency it comes in. But when it isn't required or expected, yet the giver has talked themselves into believing that it is, it says more about about the mug handing over the cash than the lucky bloke receiving it.

I love the idea of not needing to tip every person who does anything to help you! Wish it were more that way here, but with commensurate salaries, of course. But are private tour guides different? We're considering a couple of private tours. In Europe the cruise line tour guides expected tips, too. What about them?

Thanks in advance for what has surely become a tiresome topic for y'all!

I love the idea of not needing to tip every person who does anything to help you! Wish it were more that way here, but with commensurate salaries, of course. But are private tour guides different? We're considering a couple of private tours. In Europe the cruise line tour guides expected tips, too. What about them?

I don't get it.... Tips are not expected.... from hotel staff, cleaners, waiters, tour guides etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

:o

Not tiresome - I guess if you've been brought up to tip from an early age, it's hard to adjust to a different system. Many tour operators do it because they truly love their job. I personally think if tipping your doctor is insulting because they're professional and tipping is not customary, the same would go for many other professionals. No, tour operators do not expect to be tipped. A "thank you", and maybe a written testimonial for their website if they did a fantastic job, is all that is necessary in Australia and NZ.

I don't think Aussie Cruiser was annoyed but probably just frustrated as it has been reiterated on the Australian Ports Board infinitum that we do not tip in this country and we do not want that custom to change. If overseas visitors keep on tipping because it is customary in their country to do so, then of course our waiters, tourist guides, bell boys, cleaning ladies etc. will expect to be tipped and then slowly but surely our way of life will change.

Every person who is in the service industry in this country receives a fair wage and therefore a tip is only an extra which should be for exemplary service. Yes my husband and I do tip our waiters when we go out to dinner if they have done a great job, but most of my friends do not tip. It is not expected and no-one is thought of any differently if a tip is not put down.

Sure, if a person hears an American accent they will hope for a tip because they know that you are big tippers but that doesn't mean you have to do what you do at home. Please, when you are here in our country, follow our customs as we follow yours when we visit your country.

Jennie

Don't really see the need for the flame, Aussie Cruiser. I re-read the thread carefully before posting and didn't see any mention of the type of tour guide I was asking about.

So sorry you were annoyed and offended.:eek:

:confused: I didn't flame you... I was saying what people have been saying previously on this thread. I get a little annoyed with people who think they need to go against local customs and cultures. When DW and I were in Africa, we didn't "inflict" Australian culture on them, even if we had to find the readjustment uncomfortable (more so for my DW as she had to wear long skirts every day and night for 6 weeks and she likes to wear jeans every now and again, although I was not permitted to wear shorts either, so I found it uncomfortable). Likewise, when in America I found it difficult that I (as the customer) was expected to subsidise wages of residents. I see it (from my cultural view) that it is the job of the employer to pay his/her staff, not the customer. However, I simply did the right thing and abided by local culture and customs.

So, I find it difficult when Non-Australians think that they can ignore sound advice from residents (over and over again) and decide to do it their way anyway. Why bother asking if you do what you want?

This is simply Travel 101. Please don't be so sensitive. :rolleyes: If you are made uncomfortable because you are abiding by local customs and culture, that is part of being away from home.

Nope. You are just kidding yourself. No tip was expected for any of this.

Of course, virtually nobody's going to turn down free money thrown at them, in whatever odd foreign currency it comes in. But when it isn't required or expected, yet the giver has talked themselves into believing that it is, it says more about about the mug handing over the cash than the lucky bloke receiving it.

I wasn't "kidding myself" nor did I "talk myself into believing" anything. The way the confirmation came from the hotel, that was how it was written. Like it or not, they are saying that I have already been given credit towards a pre-paid tip. As it happens I did NOT leave a tip when we left, primarily because our group carried our bags down ourselves with absolutely NO help from hotel personnel. The hotel staff was less then helpful regarding anything to do with our suitcases or our rooms.

In Europe the cruise line tour guides expected tips, too. What about them?

Don't tip private tour guides - they are well paid.

I didn't tip private guides in Europe eg: we did a tour of the Coliseum and Forum with a private guide who was Irish. There was us (hubby and me) and 4 Americans. The cost of the tour was 55 euros each for 2 hour tour. As far as I'm concerned that is more than enough to pay. The Americans tipped and we didn't. He was Irish - he understood.

I realise he didn't get the whole 55 euros himself. But I assume that in Italy of all places he would've been adequately compensated for his services by the company he works for. The tourist guide industry is very heavily regulated in Italy and Italy itself is also a very unionised country

So, I find it difficult when Non-Australians think that they can ignore sound advice from residents (over and over again) and decide to do it their way anyway. Why bother asking if you do what you want?

I took it as the reverse. The poster wanted to respect local customs so wanted to clarify that local tour guides did not fall under some form of exemption. To me, that's an understandable possibility for an exception. Others mentioned deal with locals as much as anything, for example, taxi drivers drive locals and restaurant staff also deal with locals, and even hotel staff deal with a lot of local business travellers whereas tour guides pretty much only deal with tourists. As such, they may have different expectations given the different market they deal with, and the question was just to ensure no offence would arise if they were not tipped.

I took it as the reverse. The poster wanted to respect local customs so wanted to clarify that local tour guides did not fall under some form of exemption. To me, that's an understandable possibility for an exception. Others mentioned deal with locals as much as anything, for example, taxi drivers drive locals and restaurant staff also deal with locals, and even hotel staff deal with a lot of local business travellers whereas tour guides pretty much only deal with tourists. As such, they may have different expectations given the different market they deal with, and the question was just to ensure no offence would arise if they were not tipped.

It makes no difference. The tour guide (local) is paid under Australian conditions and there are strict laws the guide our pay system. Whether the customers are local or not, the tips are not expected. I don't see how a guide is exempted and all other service industry personel are not.

If a tourist wants to tip, then it is up to him/her. The issue is expectations, and what our culture is. I am merely arguing that Non-Australians respect our way of doing things. :)

Thanks for the clarification regarding tour guides. I'm more than happy to NOT tip, and I want to follow local customs. I did think that perhaps an individual guide who spent many hours with just 2 or 4 people might be an exception. I'm happy to know they earn adequate wages without tips. It is a little confusing, though, when we're told to not tip, but then nearly all of you say that you do tip in restaurants for exceptional service and round up for cabbies. I get it, though --- keep tips rare and modest. That suits me just fine.

The way the confirmation came from the hotel, that was how it was written.
As I read what you wrote, the hotel said nothing to indicate that any form of tip was expected. And no form of tip was expected.

If you concluded that a tip was expected by someone, then you simply read into the hotel's words something that was not there and was not intended to be there.

Nevertheless, few people ever turn down free money when it's thrown at them, in whatever useful or useless foreign currency it's given. And on the occasions when the recipients of the free money then mock those who have given it, it will be out of the donors' earshot.

As I read what you wrote, the hotel said nothing to indicate that any form of tip was expected. And no form of tip was expected.

If you concluded that a tip was expected by someone, then you simply read into the hotel's words something that was not there and was not intended to be there.

Nevertheless, few people ever turn down free money when it's thrown at them, in whatever useful or useless foreign currency it's given. And on the occasions when the recipients of the free money then mock those who have given it, it will be out of the donors' earshot.

Wow. I'm not sure what I did to irritate you, but you obviously think I'm a stupid arrogant person because of what was printed on my form. I can read, but since you obviously got a copy of my confirmation and are positive of what it says, I guess I didn't really need to read it, I could have just called you. Also not sure where you've read that I tipped in "foreign currency" and that I did not have NZ or AU money, because I did. The only people I tipped were our tour guides and they did, in my opinion, deliver a great service and accomodated our group of 18 people switching gears in the middle a couple of times. If they rudely mocked me afterwards, well, that just reflects badly on them, doesn't it. I for one, DON'T believe in tipping for someone just doing their job. That's what they are hired for, and unless I get exceptional service and/or the person really went out of their way, then I don't tip. As I said, I didn't tip at the hotel for two reasons, one the confirmation said the arrival tip was included and two because the hotel staff did absolutely nothing to warrant it. They did not deliver our suitcases to our rooms, nor pick them up. We carried them all, everyone of us. I could barely get them to come up and check out the room when there was a serious problem. There was an extreme lack of customer service on their part. Didn't tip for dinner, we ordered from the bar,etc. So you see, I followed "the rules".

Reading through these posts reminded me that in most restaurants, the credit card charge docket that is presented to you for signing makes provision for you to insert an amount for a tip. Do not regard this as an invitation to add a tip or feel obliged to add one. It is just the way the compters are programmed.

Cheers

Bob

My sisters and I stayed at Harbour Marriott on Saturday night. When the young man brought our luggage to our room you could tell he didn't expect a tip. 3 middle aged Aussie women - is there a demographic that tips lower?

Maybe 3 middle aged Kiwi women. ;)

Reading through these posts reminded me that in most restaurants, the credit card charge docket that is presented to you for signing makes provision for you to insert an amount for a tip. Do not regard this as an invitation to add a tip or feel obliged to add one. It is just the way the compters are programmed.

Cheers

Bob

Thank you, that’s my point. Coming from a country where you ARE expected to fill that line in, tell me why would I not assume a tip was expected? If there were not a line to put the tip on most tourists would ask where they should write it. At that time they would be told a tip was not needed or expected and would follow the custom. When the line is there it suggests that a tip is standard and/or expected. You can’t have it both ways, put the place for the tip and then get angry when a tourist fills in the line. Most really are trying to do the right thing. The same with my hotel – when my printed confirmation says I have a credit for the bellhop tip arrival, it leads one to believe that a tip is usual and maybe what you’ve heard has changed or something. You can’t blame people for trying to do the right thing when they are, for lack of a better word, mislead.

And Globilizer, you are right. I did say I tipped in US currency. I, in fact, tipped using both currencies as I hadn’t planned on tipping the guide but they all did such a great job including things that were not originally contracted for, we felt that they deserved something extra. For example, our bus driver from the ship to the hotel – who was clearly just a driver – gave us a city tour. He had no clue what he was supposed to be showing us yet he made a great effort going above and beyond his usual job. I imagine we saw sights not on the usual route. LOL We (there were a lot of us) gave him the change that we had and asked if he would mind US dollars as well as not everyone had changed their currency but still applauded his effort. We did not “throw it at him” but politely handed it to him. Ya, I get it – you don’t think we should have tipped. Again, if the tour guides we tipped are laughing at us for doing so, then shame on them. I would hope that even though it was not expected or needed they would understand that we were pleased with the job that they did and wished to reward them beyond the words. If that makes us fools, well, I’d rather be a fool then belittle someone for trying to do something nice.

Thank you, that’s my point. Coming from a country where you ARE expected to fill that line in, tell me why would I not assume a tip was expected? If there were not a line to put the tip on most tourists would ask where they should write it.

When the software was introduced it didn't have that provision. However, after some time it did appear in hospitality output. Clearly it's customisable based on the premises and it was introduced at someone's request. Being software it is also switchable so could readily be customised to not provide for a tip as is the case in most retail outlets. Thus, there are some influential figures in the Australian community who have requested that that be provided as there is use for it.

I also know locals who tip, particularly in restaurants so it's not an absolute either, although it seems to have been portrayed that way by some. You'll also frequently see tip jars/bowls at restaurants. As above, you don't need to feel obliged to tip, or that it's required due to their salaries being reduced due to an expectation of tips, but if you feel the service warrants it, it is not uncommon either.

Coming from a country where you ARE expected to fill that line in, tell me why would I not assume a tip was expected?
Well, that's the point of threads like this, which is to let everyone know that a tip is NOT expected - and that one shouldn't allow one's ingrained experience to read in "expectations" that are simply not there.

Let me just add, that at the restaurants that I have worked at here in the US, the servers have been paid something like $2.38/hour. With tips they sometimes make over $20/hour, so you can see how tipping has become an integral part of our country. It will feel weird not tipping when im in Australia.

gtpro,

Yes that may be the case but our country is completely different and that is why we do not want tourists to change it.

Our wait staff get a really good wages. The minimum is $30,000AUD and the average is $42,000AUD per anum. Tour guides also receive a similar wage with maximum around $75,000AUD.

They are the latest figures and you can find them at: http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/hospitality-travel-tourism/

Jennie

Archived