New Years Eve

JJMM

The New Years Eve Celebration in Jackson Square at the French Quarter sounds very interesting... however do you think it is a family friendly event? This is our first trip to NO and we will be two families of four, with kiddos being from ages 6 to 15. We're trying to find something to do to ring in the new year being our cruise the next day.

Thanks!! :)

The area around Jackson Square is packed. Not unsafe, but not hard to get separated if you are in a group.

Your may be better off along the riverfront, where it won't be so crowded. There are some big grassy areas where you can spread out and still see the show. The ball drop (it's actually a baby) is on the north side of the Jax Brewery.

If it is really cold, you can watch the show from the 6th floor lobby lobby of the Wyndham Hotel.

Probably only if you had access to a private balcony (pricey) with one of the hotels. If is packed, especially around midnight.

One of the riverboat trips, also pricey, could give you an excellent view of the fireworks, but occasionally the weather can mess things up.

The Sugarbowl is Jan 2, so crowds from both teams will be in town, along with the usual celebrants.

Here are some pictures from NYE in New Orleans from 2005 (just a few months after Katrina) and 2007:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/nola_nye_2005/nola_nye_05_1.htm

New Orleans NYE 2007 page1 page2

I did a reverboat once for July 4 fireworks, and should have some pictures of that that experience was like somewhere.

This is one boat that will go - whoa, I see it is all inclusive for $175pp

http://www.steamboatnatchez.com/special_event_cruises.html

There should be others

Here is one for $119

http://www.bigeasystore.com/CC/holiday-newyearseve.html

If your riverview is in the direction where the fireworks will be and it isn't foggy, I would think a good chance.

You could also walk down Canal St to the river and have a pretty good view, bypassing the French Quarter altogether.

A lot of the crowd wants to see the Bowl of Gumbo drop at Midnight but you can avoid that madness and still see the fireworks without getting in the thick of it.

We have been in NOLA for a few NYE celebrations and have found it to be very family-friendly. It does get a little crowded near Decatur and Bourbon streets around midnight though. I have some pics on my MySpace page from NYE '08 to give you an idea. Look in my signature below for the link. Have fun!!

Archived