Shopping for fakes?

wiggin

I see all of the posts about prices on brand name watches, etc. Can you buy fake designer purses on St. Martin? I don't want to skip the chance in St. Thomas to find out they do not sell them on St. Martin......thanks for any help.

Also, if they do sell them, are they everywhere or do you know of any place that has the best deals? Is it a barter system?

They have lots of fake watches and sunglasses also. We found good prices on a side street right off the main street, but I can't remember the name of the store. I think there were two or three steps to walk up a little porch in front. As you turn off the main street it is on the right side. We will be there in a couple of weeks so I will try to get the name.

My wife said the fake Coach stuff in St. Maarten appeared to be better than St. Thomas. For some reason though she made me by her a real Coach in St. Thomas :D. So yes, there are fakes in St. Maarten. turn right after you get off the water taxi on Front Street and there was a little alley down on the left. Store down in there on the right had the "goods".

Also, if they do sell them, are they everywhere or do you know of any place that has the best deals? Is it a barter system?

The little side street mentioned above is a great source for the "fakes" I walked into one of the purse shops, not really intending to buy, just kind of browsing. I picked up on of the purses and studied it closely, mainly to see what all the hoopla was about. The lady at the counter told me that the price was 30% off the tag price. I must have looked confused because she then dropped the price to 40% off. I picked up one or two more out of curiosity. By the time I got near the door the price was now at 75% off. Your best bet in the fake purses store (gosh that sounds so odd) is to look really bewildered and glance at the door often. Down, down, down go the prices.

No I didn't buy one.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

From the tender pier make a right on Front street. Walk a few blocks down you will see a street (not for cars only people) to your left. It's the same little street that has the Belgian Chocolate Store. The store with the purses was just across the street from the Belgian Chocolate store. There is also a shop there that sells the Star Wars prints and art work.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

• 2 weeks later...

The water taxi will pick you up at the Dock where the ships are and take you over to another pier near the beach area and Front St. The tenders from ships anchored in the bay will go directly to this beach pier. You go through a little gateway area and up to the street then follow the directions above from there.

This is making sense now. When I was there we tendered in......and I couldn't figure out why everyone was saying the walk to town was so far. Anyway. Thanks for your help. Does anyone know if there is a site that tells which ships are in town which days and where they dock?

I believe that the "alley" being discussed here is actually known as "Old Street".

Check out the Old Street website for a lot of information, including how to get there and a listing of many of the shops located there.

If any of them sell "knock-off" products, I don't know. I do know that US Customs will confiscate any that they discover on your return to the US.

Can't I just put my stuff in my purse and say I bought it in New York and brought in on at embarkation? You can buy fakes on the streets of LA and NY. How do they know?

Thanks for the link to the "side street."

I do know that US Customs will confiscate any that they discover on your return to the US.
I remember reading somewhere that one "knock-off" item could be legally brought into the States. I did a search and found the following on the US Customs website:

"....passengers arriving into the United States may be permitted an exemption and allowed to import one article of any type, which must accompany the person, bearing a counterfeit, confusingly similar or restricted gray market trademark, provided that the article is for personal use and is not for sale. This exemption may be granted not more than once every thirty days. The arriving passenger may retain one article of each type accompanying the person. For example, an arriving person who has three purses, whether each bears a different infringing trademark, or whether all three bear the same infringing trademark, is permitted only one purse. If the article imported under the personal exemption provision is sold within one year after the date of importation, the article or its value is subject to forfeiture.passengers arriving into the United States may be permitted an exemption and allowed to import one article of any type, which must accompany the person, bearing a counterfeit, confusingly similar or restricted gray market trademark, provided that the article is for personal use and is not for sale. This exemption may be granted not more than once every thirty days. The arriving passenger may retain one article of each type accompanying the person. For example, an arriving person who has three purses, whether each bears a different infringing trademark, or whether all three bear the same infringing trademark, is permitted only one purse. If the article imported under the personal exemption provision is sold within one year after the date of importation, the article or its value is subject to forfeiture."

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/home.xml

Archived