Food on shore excursions

We are going to Belize,Cozumel, Costa Maya and The Grand Caymans in May. We are doing Atkins and would like to know what the "snacks" served during the tours consist of. We may have to pack our own food if necessary. A seven hour tour requires food and we are not going to cheat.

Thanks for any info

If your tour includes a box lunch it is likely to include a turkey sandwich, cookie and a piece of fruit. If just a snack, probably just some cookies or perhaps fruit.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

They did have plenty of bottled water however heat would have been nice. We went in February and it was cool and windy almost everyday. Don't get me wrong, we still had a great time. It's just that you don't expect to have to weat a sweatshirt in Cozumel to keep warm.

Don't be surprised when you go to leave the ship to see a big sign that says "NO FOOD IS TO BE TAKEN OFF SHIP." According to the story they gave us, the islands won't allow it and you are in danger of it being confiscated. (We took our own off in Cayman, Cozumel and Belize - just be discreet about it and you should have no problem.) icon_wink.gif

If you bring nuts and protien bars ( which I always carry...but just do not bring the chocolate coated, that will melt) they will not take it. Having done 2 cruises low carb, I know the food options are severly limited. Those things are so small, they will not show up in a bag search. They mainly are referring to food that is prepared on the ship and fruits. Prepackaged things are not usually a problem.

barbara02.gif

My vacation pics

http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven

Norwegian Dawn May 23

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We did a tour that included lunch and it was a light Mexican fare of refired beans, excellent homemade salsa, real Mex. chips and gacammola

dip. I would go off any diet to have that meal again. Don't you have to eat a 20 oz porterhouse rare steak on that diet with no potato or bread? Salad optional but no dressing? Anyway if you are that particular best take some beef jerky to chew on until you get back on board.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;07;19;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till we sail on the Zuiderdam

Til we sail on the Mariner of The Seas RCL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;3;7;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until we sail on the Disney Wonder

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2003;10;09;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

til we sail the ms Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;05;29;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Boy, talk about misconceptions! icon_eek.gifYeah we eat steak 5X a day.... NOT! I eat more veggies now than I ever did before, just not the sugary ones.

But the beef jerky is also a thought, easy to carry. On Protein Power, which is like atkins with 10 extra carbs, we have a recipe board, and many have come up with recipes for their own nutritional bars that you can make before you leave and pack in small baggies to take.And many of the baked versions will not melt.

I used to use the Atkins bars but I found out the soy is not good for thyroid function ( it lowers it) and the sugar alcohols should only be counted as half when subtracting as malitol does spike your insulin response a little more than they thought.

barbara02.gif

My vacation pics

Norwegian Dawn May 23

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Well since you are on a diet why bother to eat anyways??

Don't worry about the darn food and wait until you get back on the ship. Eat a good breakfast and that should last that way you are burning fat and calories while on excursion and you don;t get FAT.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;3;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Navigator of the Seas/Western Caribbean 03/06

The problem with any diet is that if you starve yourself or not eat when you are hungry, you get ravenous and overeat. The beauty if this diet is that we are filled up easily when we eat a little protein. I know some (but not many) feel deprived of certain things and want it because they can not have it. I know that most things can be substituted for another. I make mashed cauliflower made with cream cheese and to me that tastes better than potatoes.

But the problem with going off this diet is that the GREAT health we enjoy while on it, is gone. Believe it or not we sleep better, have tons of energy, have lost the brain fog and even most allergy symptoms and so on. I for one prefer to feel great all the time. And when I am on a cruise I want all the energy I can get, so if I lack some sleep, it will not really affect me.

The problem is not with us but with others who assume bread and stuff are the only great things in life. I guess in some ways most of us are like vegetarians, we eat this way because it makes us feel good. Would you say to a vegan to cheat? Yes there are some that are only on this diet to lose weight, but many realize that the sugar addiction will come back if you stay off of it to long (after we lose weight we up the carbs somewhat but never the level we did before).

Like smokers ( or addicts of any kind) who have kicked the habit, one cigarette ( whatever substance) will not kill them right?

Ok, off my high horse! icon_wink.gif

barbara02.gif

My vacation pics

Norwegian Dawn May 23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dadofsara:

Snack? HAHA On our excursion in Belize it said "light snack" The tour was 2 hours late in getting back and they served us a wonderful snack of WATER!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, but was it regular water or low carb water?

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

Doesn't this thread belong on the "Lose to Cruise" board? There is much more helpful info over there and lots of people on the Adkins Diet.

Here you go: icon_wink.gif

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&s=927093444&a=corfrm&cf=6940967151

Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

Thanks so much for the link, and also thanks to

abridalmaven for such an intellligent response about low carb lifestyle. This is not a diet, it is a way of life and everything she said about health, energy and brain clearing I echo. It is not for everyone. Type O blood types do great on this, A & AB do not, different strokes for different folks.

Archived