No Chicken Please!

slp123

For those of you who are going to be in Hong Kong over the next 30-60 days, please avoid eating poultry. I just read an article that I thought all of you should be aware of when dining in Hong Kong.

Do not order chicken in Hong Kong. It shouldn't be on the menu but if it is I would not only not order it I would worry if the place is sanitary.

The reason I so state is that there has been another serious outbreak of Bird Flu in Hong Kong confirmed and over 80,000 birds have been ordered destroyed, a 21 day ban from import put into place, and local shops and dining establishments ordered to throw out all poultry. The ban basically lifts on the Monday after New Year's weekend. So any chicken you find while visiting in the next 30 days is old and possibly infected! And 30 days out from now it may be a while before chicken is readily available. Click here for further details

Steven,

Thanks for the update (and also for your attempt to bring civility back to the other thread)! I'm afraid to think what else can go wrong on our upcoming trip! I want to apologize in advance in case you are offended by this question, as I see you are a vegetarian, but do you happen to know whether or not "bird flu" and it's precautionary measures pertains to ducks and duck meat?

Steven,

Thanks for the update (and also for your attempt to bring civility back to the other thread)! I'm afraid to think what else can go wrong on our upcoming trip! I want to apologize in advance in case you are offended by this question, as I see you are a vegetarian, but do you happen to know whether or not "bird flu" and it's precautionary measures pertains to ducks and duck meat?

First of all I am sorry but I do not know the answer to your question and it is a good one so I will ask my friend at the CDC.

Secondly, I am not offended because I am a part-time vegetarian. I won't even be offended if I was full time. Now what is a part-time vegetarian? He or she is a person with a weak stomach. What I mean by that is each of us have certain physical weaknesses. Some people are prone to headaches or sore throats or backaches or skin rashes. For me, it's stomach issues. And because I like to travel and I like to eat the local cuisine, I have learned a few rules that tend to keep me health on the road, especially in 3rd world regions. So that means I will eat meat, fish and poultry in Hong Kong and raw vegetables and I will drink the water and take ice in my soft drink or cocktail. The same is true for Singapore and Bangkok although I never have food from street vendors and I always ask how things are seasoned because I know how my stomach reacts. But when I take the shore excursions to areas outside of Da Nang in Vietnam or the overnight I plan in Phnom Pehn, my rules are far stricter. In the interest of time I paste an earlier entry I made on another board.

First and foremost--Boil it, cook it, peel it, or forget it. Second avoid all ice in beverages and only beverages that I myself pour from an unopened bottle or can. The only exceptions are wine, liquor straight up (for medicinal purposes of course:rolleyes: . . ..LOL) and hot tea or hot coffee. I never eat raw shellfish or freshwater fish when abroad. Nor will I eat meat of any kind except in urban places with western standards of hygiene. So it’s either vegetarian or cooked fish from the sea. And it is almost intuitive when to follow these rules . . . when I known I would rather not see what the kitchen looks like. With these rules I have eaten very well on local cuisine (remember meat and fish are relatively expensive and often you will find great skills of culinary arts applied to inexpensive vegetarian ingredients. As a reult of my rules, I and usually my traveling campanion(s) du jour manage our trip without ever being revenged by Montezuma!

Remember it is no accident that the familiar Montezuma's revenge has a whole set of alternative Asian names as in "Delhi Belly", “Hong Kong Dung” "Thailand Trots” “Rangoon Runs” “Singapore Sh**s”

• 2 weeks later...

Archived