National Car & Port of Ft. Lauderdale

moogie14a

Hello,

I've read a few threads here and I can't make heads or tails of it with all the different information from past and current posts.

I'm flying into Miami and renting a car from National. I will be driving to a hotel in the Fort Lauderdale area for a cruise on Princess. I'm assuming this is the Port Everglades?

I'd like to drop off the vehicle at the port or drop the vehicle at the Fort Lauderdale airport and take the shuttle to the port. Does National offer this service? I'm getting a great rate for a minivan with two toddler seats since I'm an Emerald Aisle member.

Thank you!

There is nowhere to drop it off at the port (Port Everglades). You can drop it off at Ft Lauderdale airport. Not sure if National contibutes to the shared shuttle bus to the port you'd have to call them directly to be sure. Even if they don't a cab is under $15 for the 2.5 mile ride to the port.

A few years ago a single location was created for all of the car rental agencies share. In an effort to cut down on traffic at the airport, the airport set up a system where all of the car rental agencies use a single bus service. This bus service is owned and operated by the county. So instead of seeing Hertz buses or Avis buses or any of the other rental buses you'll just see the brightly colored county buses with car rental plastered on the sides picking up renters from the terminals and bringing them to the car rental building opposite terminal one. It seems to have worked, not nearly as many buses to dodge anymore.

/////

• 3 weeks later...
A few years ago a single location was created for all of the car rental agencies share. In an effort to cut down on traffic at the airport, the airport set up a system where all of the car rental agencies use a single bus service. This bus service is owned and operated by the county. So instead of seeing Hertz buses or Avis buses or any of the other rental buses you'll just see the brightly colored county buses with car rental plastered on the sides picking up renters from the terminals and bringing them to the car rental building opposite terminal one. It seems to have worked, not nearly as many buses to dodge anymore.

/////

Bequia: Thank you for all of the Ft.Lauderdale advice that you share with us!

I am arriving on Jan 1 and will pick up car at Avis to use until the 3rd when I embark on my cruise. There will be a large number of ships in port on the 3rd. Would I be better off dropping the car off early at the airport and grabbing a taxi back to the hotel (and then taking taxi with friends to port) or dropping my companions and luggage at the port, then returning the car and catching the shared shuttle back to the port. What would you do? I am in a quandry.

I drove a National rental car from Ft Myers to Ft Lauderdale airport in October. National does offer the free shuttle to the port - and great service, too! Driver dropped me right next to a porter - I didn't have to touch my bags. I'll be doing it again on 1/25 for another Crown Princess cruise.

I'd drop the car off at the airport around 10:30 a.m. and head to the cruiseport with my family and friends. Once your in the cruiseport your not going to want to leave again and deal with returning again that's a pain. Avis partakes in the shared ride bus service to the port. If the lines too long, just grab a cab. ;)

/////

I'd drop the car off at the airport around 10:30 a.m. and head to the cruiseport with my family and friends. Once your in the cruiseport your not going to want to leave again and deal with returning again that's a pain. Avis partakes in the shared ride bus service to the port. If the lines too long, just grab a cab. ;)

/////

Thank you! I knew I could count on your good advice!:)

Archived