Norovirus on Granduer 11/20/09

Guys, Did anyone else get sick on the Granduer out of Tampa on 11/20/09. I got sick the first night after dinner and missed Key West. I saw the hand sanitizers come out in the WindJammer the next night so I figured a bunch of us got sick. Just wondering if there was anyone else out there or if you heard anything?

Guys, Did anyone else get sick on the Granduer out of Tampa on 11/20/09. I got sick the first night after dinner and missed Key West. I saw the hand sanitizers come out in the WindJammer the next night so I figured a bunch of us got sick. Just wondering if there was anyone else out there or if you heard anything?

If you got sick the first night, it is doubtful you caught it on the ship. From the time you "catch" the virus to the time you experience symptoms is typically 24 to 48 hours.

I hope you were well enough you were able to enjoy some of your cruise.

Ships do not have to report a Norovirus outbreak until a certain percentage of passengers and crew have been diagnosed with the problem. (Sorry, I don't know the exact percent.)

To pre-empt a major outbreak, RCI might have a policy to start phased levels of prevention as soon as even ONE suspected case appears on board.

The trouble is, some folks who have it don't report to the infirmary for fear of the dreaded quarantine they must accept, so there could actually be many more cases aboard than are known.

I hope your case was not too serious. I had it on LIberty's second cruise and was absolutely miserable. I hope you recovered soon and could have some fun on the ship. What a bummer to be sick on a cruise!

Usually it takes at least 24 hours after exposure for symptoms to appear so you most likely were exposed before you even boarded the ship.

No matter how you got it though it really sucks to have it. I had it over Thanksgiving and was miserable. I got sick about 36 hours after I was exposed to it.

Archived