Solstice: three weeks on board with a touch of HAL

C 2 C

Arno:

It was great to meet you and Joanne on Constellation's Feb 13/09 sailing.

Thank you very much for your review of Solstice. I haven't spent much time on this site in the past, but based on the quality and usefulness of your post, this should change. You obviously put a lot of thought and effort into it and this has resulted in an interesting thread.

We booked on Equinox's Feb 05/09 sailing last July and are looking forward to giving it a try. As you know, we enjoy onboard activities such as trivia and ballroom dancing so, based on your review, our expecations will not be too high. Anyway, our motto is "all cruises are good" so I am sure we will have fun.

All but one of our cruises has been with Celebrity so perhaps we need "to get out more" but a good dance floor and good music to dance to seems to be a problem on most ships just as it sometimes is on land. It was certainly not a problem for us on our recent cruise because we ended up spending so much time in Michael's Club with Perry Grant.

We had not seen Perry before and thoroughly enjoyed his show. Your review suggests he may be on Equinox next Feb. If so, this would be the deal clincher for us. If not, it we might be tempted to switch our reservation to Constellation. Do you have any insight on whether Perry is likely to make the move to Equinox?

Marie joins me in sending best regards to you and Joanne.

Hi, Arno and a hello to Joanne from Pattyand Ed.

I somehow missed this posting until this morning. I had just decided that I would like to sail Solstice, especially since Jeff Hughes will be on her in a few months. But your post gives me pause. I love a beautiful ship and she certainly sounds like she is beautiful. But the more basic accoutrements are important to us. You have put me off booking. I trust you and your opinions. And bad space for Trivia? What are they thinking? I think I will stick with C and M class for now.

I wonder if we should try RCCL again? We sailed them twice back in 2002. Maybe after the B2B on Mercury this Winter we will look in that direction.

Thanks for the very insightful review.

We are currently docked in Cozumel and thoroughly enjoying Constellation. At this time we are convinced more than ever about our decision to enjoy M-class rather than Solstice class. Unless someone has any insight into potential modifications to new builds, we have no intention to return to Celebrity's view of the future in cruising.

Perry Grant has no intention to move to Equinox and will remain on Constellation.

I also hope that many people will choose to Sail on Solstice Class and leave us with some bargain rates as OBC vanish.

We are currently docked in Cozumel and thoroughly enjoying Constellation. At this time we are convinced more than ever about our decision to enjoy M-class rather than Solstice class. Unless someone has any insight into potential modifications to new builds, we have no intention to return to Celebrity's view of the future in cruising.

I also hope that many people will choose to Sail on Solstice Class and leave us with some bargain rates as OBC vanish.

I was pleased to read your views on Solstice, as you seem to be an inveterate Celebrity fan, and so many posters trust your judgement...including me. From what I could read/infer from prior pictures and posts, this type of ship's offerings are not for us. We also love to dance, and spend every evening before late dining in the Rendez-vous Lounge. The absence of such is also a deal beaker for us. The ship looks beautiful in photos, but only for a moment, as it also looks cold, "modern" and plastic. We much prefer the warmth of M-class style (which is really and enhanced C-class style). We don't have many cruises, (7 with a back-to- back booked) but all are with Celebrity because we like what they did so much. It looks like our future also will be to try other lines because with three(?) more builds based on Solstice, then Celebrity's future view of cruising isn't ours any more. Pity.

Arno -Just read this entire thread and would like to thank you, and others, for your thoughts and experiences. When I first noticed the lack of aft elevators on the deck plans, I became worried of other cutbacks to come. It's hard to believe that a prototype cabin was evaluated by experienced cruisers, both male and female. The PR has focused and gloated on the women involved but did anyone actually spend a night in a prototype, with a laptop on the vanity, blowing your hair dry? With neighbors with a TV on? Or, unpack for a 10-14 night cruise?

I'll withhold comment on all of the other areas of concern for me but if X can maintain the M-class ships, we'll continue to make that our ship of choice. Would love to meet you and Joanne on one some day.

Mary Anne

Hi

Great review!

We are on the 3/15 Solstice sailing. I had one question that I didn't see in your review of the cabins. Have they put clocks in them yet???

Always bring my own--was hoping the new ship would have them.

Thanks

Thanks Arno, your reviews and opionions are of great value to us! We have booked 28 days on the Constellation in November and can hardly wait! So glad to hear Perry Grant will stay. Would you ask if he is going to be there in November? Thanks! Nancie and Jim

Archived