Just off the phone with Adam Goldstein office

dfishner

I wrote an email a couple of days ago to Adam Goldstein because of the changes in benefits that are no longer combinable as of 12/31. To my surprize I received a call from his office this afternoon. Point for RCL they do listen. Was talking to an aide I am sure but I have to say it was a great conversation so here is my take on it.

The combining of benefits will be gone as of 12/31 as many of you have stated here. Reason being financial and business being off which I can truly understand and have always understood. He told me that it has always been there policy to only have just one offer or benefit but they have never really enforced it I am not sure if that is true or not but will take him at his word. I told him by enforcing this policy it hit the group that has supported Royal the most which is the repeat customer but I do understand the reasoning behind it but that I also feel that what they did was considered to be a take away when you cut the program down to just one benefit.

There really was no resolution to the phone call but I can say we both listen to one another and it was a very polite conversation. I do like Royal very much and have no intentions of not cruising them. He told me they do value their repeat business and of course I said I could not agree with this by the actions they took but I do understand why.

In closing I do not agree with RCL decision but I was so surprized by the telephone call it gave me so much more respect for RCL as a company that they would call me and not just send out a form letter. In my own weird way I can better deal with this decision because they reached out and told me the truth and that I accept. I can piss and moan but in the end they have a business to run and they need to stay profitable. I will put my own self interest aside and let his matter end peacefully.

I thank RCL for reaching out to me and making me feel what I had to say was important enough to warrant a response. My benefits might be going away but my respect for the company just grew a little bit more.

Thank you for your post. I totally agree with your views. RCCL has been very good to us with all the discounts we were able to apply. I sailed many more times in my life than I ever thought possible. Sometimes going on 7 day balcony rooms for under $600pp after discounts not counting my credit card obc. Where else could a person go for a week of entertainment, food and travel for that.

With that said since they have gotten me into cruising at least 2x year if not more I will have to try out other lines once in a while when good deals come up. It's not good by RCCL just see you when I can lol.

Thank you for your post. I totally agree with your views. RCCL has been very good to us with all the discounts we were able to apply. I sailed many more times in my life than I ever thought possible. Sometimes going on 7 day balcony rooms for under $600pp after discounts not counting my credit card obc. Where else could a person go for a week of entertainment, food and travel for that.

With that said since they have gotten me into cruising at least 2x year if not more I will have to try out other lines once in a while when good deals come up. It's not good by RCCL just see you when I can lol.

Your last paragraph saids it all...:-}

That does say a lot for RC. In the past the DH has had platinum/diamond/etc with numerous hotel chains and airlines. We have seen them all cut their benefits and never once received any phone call in response to a complaint. I'm looking forward to my first ever cruise - LOS departing tomorrow!

While it is sad that the passengers who were able to enjoy mulitiple discounts in the past are now losing that benefit, it is just as frustrating for other passengers who could not claim access to the same discounts to hear about how little was being paid vs. what they were paying. Now that combining of multiple benefits will no longer be allowed, RCL will truly find out how loyal their customers really are.

From RCL point of view, it is a good business decision. But from the passengers' point of view, it may change who they sail with. If RCL does not fill up their ships, they reduce pricing on some sailings to a level that is lower than what the combined benefits would yield. It seems that passengers will have to be more diligent in watching the price on individual sailings to get the most for their money. The economic situation is bad for everyone.

MARAPRINCE

I also spoke with Mr. Goldstein's office at length. I am just wondering why anyone who is Platinum or Diamond would ever book a future cruise onboard to receive the onboard credit since your balcony discount is greater. There is also no sense in receiving any more savings certificates because your balcony discount again is going to be greater and the WOW sale doesn't apply to us anymore since we will not be able to use the onboard credit if we take the balcony discount. I find it coincidental that these changes came when the fuel surcharge was removed. I am one that when I received promotions on other cruiselines I would just toss them but now I will be comparing and possibly going elsewhere. I think everyone should get ahold of Mr. Goldstein's office and voice their input on this.

While I know RCCL is dropping prices like no-one's business... but are the ships really sailing with that many fewer passengers?

It just seems to me that if they were really hurting that badly, the ships would not be sailing full, if at all..... Maybe, because it has been a few years since I cruised I am not aware of just how bad it is?

Wouldn't it be in their best interest to keep the repeat customers coming back with those good deals?

Seriously, what is the difference between letting us combine rewards and them slicing the prices like they have been?

We booked a GTY inside for $555 on a 7 day Serenade Southern sailing. Then, we were able to UPGRADE to an E1 balcony for $540... we got a $15 OBC....

This was without any rewards. How is that price drop saving them any more money than offering repeat customers only one reward?

While I know RCCL is dropping prices like no-one's business... but are the ships really sailing with that many fewer passengers?

It just seems to me that if they were really hurting that badly, the ships would not be sailing full, if at all..... Maybe, because it has been a few years since I cruised I am not aware of just how bad it is?

Wouldn't it be in their best interest to keep the repeat customers coming back with those good deals?

Seriously, what is the difference between letting us combine rewards and them slicing the prices like they have been?

We booked a GTY inside for $555 on a 7 day Serenade Southern sailing. Then, we were able to UPGRADE to an E1 balcony for $540... we got a $15 OBC....

This was without any rewards. How is that price drop saving them any more money than offering repeat customers only one reward?

I don't necessarily believe the ships are leaving with less passengers. The ships still seem to be filled but at a much lower doller amount, which is great for us consumers. Supply and demand and they have to have some fantastic deals to fill the ship these days. At least for all the non holiday sailings. The busy periods still seem to be holding a premium price. Less revenue in the long run, also appears that individuals may be spending less on board even though they may have grabbed great rates.

This lower initial dollar amount is probably encouraging more newbies to sale and also more people that were price concious and would only sale Carnival are more apt to try RCL and possibly become "Loyal Royals".

The bean counters may very well have looked at all these items and decided that the repeat cruisers will still most likely remain loyal as RCL's loyalty program is still very competetive even though the combining will stop. Especially on the ships with CL's! I can't wait! And, the new cruisers that are now expericing RCL will offset any defections and in the long run I doubt that would be many. But, it is difficult and initially disappointing to absorb having something and then having it disappear. But in the long run think that most will move on to acceptance mode.

Good question, I believe their ships are still sailing full because of the reduced pricing which is affecting RCL because of the discounted rate. I know new bookings have slowed down so I am sure their forecasts are off from what they projected. I do consider that elimination of the combinable of benefits for the repeat customers a take away, think they could of reduce the amount of benefits one person could use a much better option instead of just going to one.

I would not stop cruising RCL because of this but will now look at other cruise lines as well because of this loss incentive. It is a real blow to their loyalty program I could do with out the picture frame or hat they give, I could do without the platinum and above breakfast or lunch. I do understand why they are doing this I want RCL to be profitable but feel they will start losing some customers over this or start having customers looking at other cruise lines in addition to RCL. That is loss business they could never recover if we go from our typical two cruises a year to one.

Archived