Beware the ripoff at Chakannab Park!

wkelly5688

Just a warning so you don't get ripped. When we arrived at Chakannab park for the dolphin encounter, there was a man at the entrance with a beautiful parrot and an iguana. As you walk by he will get you to hold the iguana and place the parrot on your head or shoulder. At that point, what do most people do? Take a picture right?. Once you do this, then the guy wants $5 for the picture that YOU just took! There is no sign, he does not tell you before hand, nothing. It does make a great picture but come on - tell me up front there is a charge. Anyway, just be aware.

Bill

699355780_Dianeandtheparrotforemail.jpg.c8756db5bff8bb828cca6b5a0c919937.jpg

Assume that anytime something like this takes place, REGARDLESS of where you are, the person who provided the bird/reptile, or whatever, is doing it to make a little money, in Mexico a.k.a. "propina".

He may have asked for $5, because he was expecting you would barter, so what he really was hoping for was $2-3..

Anyone holding a pet, etc wants the money. In Alaska it was an eagle, in another spot it was a llama, donkey, bear, etc. Any tourist can figure this out after a couple stops...

I always try to get a photo on the side, when someone else is holding *** - zoom in and get just the 'thing.' :eek:

Totally not a ripoff. The guy did the same thing to my wife. Put two parrots on her and asked if I wanted a picture. I said "How much?" He said "$10 with my camera or $5 with yours." I took two pictures with mine for $5. One of the best pics we took on the 7-day cruise. Sign in the background. Full story and pics in my review in my sig...

Conquest445-1.jpg

You really didn't expect it would be free, did you?

I had no reason to expect there to be a charge. The guy was inside the park not outside on the street. But maybe we are not as wordly as someone as yourself and that is why we got took. My intent in posting was only to give others a heads up.

I had no reason to expect there to be a charge. The guy was inside the park not outside on the street. But maybe we are not as wordly as someone as yourself and that is why we got took. My intent in posting was only to give others a heads up.

I agree..is like been in Disneyland and be charge a $5 for a photo with Goofy :confused:

Totally not a ripoff. The guy did the same thing to my wife. Put two parrots on her and asked if I wanted a picture. I said "How much?" He said "$10 with my camera or $5 with yours." I took two pictures with mine for $5. One of the best pics we took on the 7-day cruise. Sign in the background. Full story and pics in my review in my sig...

Conquest445-1.jpg

I disagree. The guy did not ask if we wanted a picture. He just handed her the Iguana as she walked by and put the parrot on her head when she stopped. And I assure you there were no signs. The picture was worth the $5 no question. I would just like to know up front what the expectation is. He could just have easily said " that will be $20 or $50" after the picture was made. The five bucks didn't break our vacation budget but it could make a difference to some one else. It just seemed a little under handed to me. Especially inside the park.

Bill

Wkelly, I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread. It is good to be aware of this in advance. I will have my $5 bill handy when we arrive at Chankanaab and will know what to expect. Before reading your post, it might have been a bit more akward.

Did you consider refusing to pay, based on the subterfuge?

By the time I realized what was happening, DW had already whipped out a 5 and handed it to him. She was just as shocked as I was and reacted before thinking. And as I said earlier, the picture is priceless so the issue wasn't the $5.

As we discussed the many perspectives and comments listed on this board, she made a good point regarding a similar situation in Roatan a couple days prior. When we pulled in to dock there were locals playing drums and dancing - putting on a real show. As we exited the ship, they gathered around us for picture taking which we did. After the picture, they did not stick their hand out and demand $5 for the photo op. Instead they had a tip jar conspicuously displayed as you exit the dock area. We put in $5 and went on about our business. Totally different approach with the same result.

Bill

1993057500_BillandDancersreduced.jpg.91640d0a1ac7f993ae3a93be0f8d846e.jpg

Most ppl in the caribbean do that.. It's not just at Chakannab park.. Welcome to the Caribbean lol.

Maybe most people in the Caribbean that YOU'VE encountered have rigged photo-ops without disclosing a mandatory fee in advance. I've seen a lot of tourist photo ops in the Caribbean, and ALL of the ones I've seen have prominently displayed a sign stating the fee or had a tip jar right out front.

IMO, the OP did everyone a service with this heads-up. YMMV. ;)

This is slightly off topic.....But it does have to do with money!

When I went to pay for 2 family members dolphin experience who didn't book ahead of time, I gave them a $100 bill. They wouldn't take it because there was a small amount of writing on one side of the bill. The Mexican banks won't take American money that has writing on it.

So heads up! If you want to spend your cash at Chakannaab and there's any kind of writing or tears in it, trade the bills at your cruiseline front desk! It was almost disasterous for the relatives if it wasn't for the kind tourist who came to the rescue and traded me $20's for the bill.

Yeah...I always thought it was pretty much a given if you see someone who is standing around all day with animals for people to take pictures with, that they would obviously be charging something. Like others have said, it is expected that you will barter and probably pay 1/2 or 3/4 of the asking price. At first I grumbled a bit about paying these people, but the pictures were well worth it!

COZ12.jpg.cdc74cbf8c47387de54882ef18edff53.jpg

COZ61.jpg.146593e3df12569e0be0dccbeea4143a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

"After the picture, they did not stick their hand out and demand $5 for the photo op. Instead they had a tip jar conspicuously displayed as you exit the dock area. We put in $5 and went on about our business. Totally different approach with the same result."

I think he was saving up for the jar. $5 down, $3,995 to go. The jar's inside a 1998 VW Jetta.

Archived