Samana tendering question

Getts

We'll be on the Dawn in January and have booked our own excursion in Samana. We anchor at 10:00 a.m. Does anyone know the procedure for picking up tender tickets? Can we pick them up for four others in our party or do all need to be there to pick up their own tickets? How early do they start passing them out? Any way to pick them up the night before?

Thanks

We'll be on the Dawn in January and have booked our own excursion in Samana. We anchor at 10:00 a.m. Does anyone know the procedure for picking up tender tickets? Can we pick them up for four others in our party or do all need to be there to pick up their own tickets? How early do they start passing them out? Any way to pick them up the night before?

Thanks

As I recall, one person can pick them up for all in you group in the morning.

When we were on the dawn last week, they started handing out tickets in Dazzles lounge starting at 8am. One person could get tickets for the entire party. They sometimes announced they were doing this, but not every time.

I'd double check when you get on to make sure that's what they're still doing.

Good luck on your excursion, Samana is a beautiful place.

• 2 weeks later...

You do not need tender tickets if you already have excursion tickets (yellow with stub). Samana excursion (we went to Cayo Lavantado), they tender directly from ship to cayo. I also heard for other excursions you did not need tender tickets since they all meet on board. (only direct dock ports meet outside the gangway).

You do not need tender tickets if you already have excursion tickets (yellow with stub). Samana excursion (we went to Cayo Lavantado), they tender directly from ship to cayo. I also heard for other excursions you did not need tender tickets since they all meet on board. (only direct dock ports meet outside the gangway).

the purpose of the tender tickets is to spread out the crowd....when the rush calms down, you won't need a ticket.

Caution: some people forget that they are going a bit of a distance on a small boat, let their kids load up on breakfast. Some kids can't handle it and "share" their breakfast with the other passengers on the very crowded and close life boat tenders.

How long is the tender ride?

from the ship to the dock is maybe 15 minutes. It takes a while to load, so it is bouncing around for that time. Once the life boat gets going, it is more stable. Before that, it will rock and roll if there is any sea at all.

I have attached a satellite picture. The yellow arrow is Cayo Laventado, the blue dot is the appoximate location of the ship; the red arrow is the tender dock.

samana2.jpg.d10c8cee519900e2a6f7dff38c000e2c.jpg

from the ship to the dock is maybe 15 minutes. It takes a while to load, so it is bouncing around for that time. Once the life boat gets going, it is more stable. Before that, it will rock and roll if there is any sea at all.

I have attached a satellite picture. The yellow arrow is Cayo Laventado, the blue dot is the appoximate location of the ship; the red arrow is the tender dock.

Great image. Thank you.

the excursion for cayo leventado is totally worth it. the beach is beautiful and there are animals and trainers and photographers walking around with sea lions, parrots, lizards, snakes, and monkeys. pictures are only 8 bucks for a 5 x 7 which is better than on the ship! there's a bar with locals working it. tip well and you'll get a really strong drink. there's also a bbq area with burgers and chicken and a few other staples. we got there early and were able to get lounge chairs. there's also rentals and a volleyball net. i loved it there

Is it worth the trip over there or is it a good day to stay on the ship?

Trip over where??

Samana -- not, unless you have an excursion planned. Here is a link to some pictures from our 4x4 jeep safari in March -- may give you some idea of the area.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bakerintn/SamanaDominicanRepublic

Cayo Laventado -- I have mostly heard good things about this. If booked through NCL, they take you from the ship directly there. Only problem I have heard is that the tenders do not go back and forth all day like the ships tenders do to the dock area. So...you may be stuck there for several hours.

Trip over where??

Cayo Laventado -- I have mostly heard good things about this. If booked through NCL, they take you from the ship directly there. Only problem I have heard is that the tenders do not go back and forth all day like the ships tenders do to the dock area. So...you may be stuck there for several hours.

I had no problem getting back (although could not have gone back before 3:00, I think). My problem was getting there. Booked 11:45 excursion from NCL. Met in theater at 11:45. Then they lead us out of the theater towards the tenders, and we wait in line for almost an hour before getting on a tender. And we are standing in the narrow hall, outside all of the cabins. And they lead other people through the line who missed earlier tours, and some people walk through trying to get to their cabins, all while 50 people are lined up in a narrow hall. Some people would get on the tender sooner, others had to wait for 30 minutes more, even though all booked the same time for the tour. Don't know why they didn't just keep us in the theater until the tenders were available. Not sure if this was typical or just an unusual circumstance.

I went to Cayo on my first visit to Samana and was not impressed. There was trash on the beach; granted it was off to the side, but I still saw it. There were pushy vendors on your way in and out of the place. The bathroom floor in the ladies room was wet and had been waxed; I had to have attendants, conveniently standing by, to help me in and out of a stall and give them a tip.

This last cruise we went to a private resort; it was beautiful and peaceful. Granted, there were a couple of jewelry vendors strolling the beach area. We graciously declined one man and bought a beautful piece of local jewelry from another.

Go and enjoy, but don't feel bad if you have to miss Cayo.

Cruisinmama22,

Hi! Yes, we did the all day inclusive day at Grand Paradise resort in Samana. It is $79.00 pp and was really nice; not overly crowded like Cayo was. Really pretty; buffet luncheon and nice drinks, pretty beach and friendly personnel.

One word of caution; if you want to buy stuff bring cash. There was a really pretty bracelet that I would have bought made of the local stone on one side and amber on the other but I didn't have the cash to buy it. There was also a local riding his donkey on the beach. Great picture!!:)

Cruisinmama22,

Hi! Yes, we did the all day inclusive day at Grand Paradise resort in Samana. It is $79.00 pp and was really nice; not overly crowded like Cayo was. Really pretty; buffet luncheon and nice drinks, pretty beach and friendly personnel.

One word of caution; if you want to buy stuff bring cash. There was a really pretty bracelet that I would have bought made of the local stone on one side and amber on the other but I didn't have the cash to buy it. There was also a local riding his donkey on the beach. Great picture!!:)

Pics!

9DaySouthernCaribbean043.jpg

9DaySouthernCaribbean045.jpg

9DaySouthernCaribbean048.jpg

9DaySouthernCaribbean052.jpg

9DaySouthernCaribbean061.jpg

Thanks for posting your pictures - looks like a beautiful place! We have been trying to decide what to do while in Samana as we're not real enthused about most of the excursions.

Have you thought about going to one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world? Playa Rincon is supposed to be one of them. You can take a taxi/van to Las Galeras, and the ferry from there to the beach. If you check on your roll call and get a party of 10 it would be only $26 per person. We have 4 taxis/boats on our sailing. Everyone wants to go! casadoradodr.com

n199801314_30413791_9102.jpg

n199801314_30413794_9989.jpg

n199801314_30413802_2424.jpg

n199801314_30413798_1177.jpg

n199801314_30413806_3628.jpg

n199801314_30413807_3927.jpg

these were all from cayo levantado. the beach is was big enough. on your way in there are two different paths to take to the beach, one with all the vendors, and one without. take the one to your left and you'll be free of all the vendors. if you want to buy something don't be afraid to barder! they asked 120 for a box of dominican cigars and people were talking them down to 50.

Thanks so much for the info -- that sounds like the right way to kick off a cruise, as this will be our first port.

Thanks for the photos.

I just love cruise critic. -- You really don't need a travel agent -- as all the info is right here !!

But I do love my TA!

Archived