First time Rivera cruise?

familytime1

My wife and I actually took are first cruise several years ago to Catalina and Ensenada. So this is not truly our first cruise in the area. We have since cruised the Caribbean 3 times and gotten a bit bolder then that first trip.

We are planning to do LA-Cabo-Mazatlan-Puerto-LA in February or March. We would like some advise as to; What to do and not to do(we are a bit adventurous)? Is this a bad or good time to go? How is the weather? We like to snorkel on our own, hows the water?

In the passed we have cruised with Carnival and Royal. This time we are looking to use Norwegian on the Star. How different will that be then the others?

My wife and I actually took are first cruise several years ago to Catalina and Ensenada. So this is not truly our first cruise in the area. We have since cruised the Caribbean 3 times and gotten a bit bolder then that first trip.

We are planning to do LA-Cabo-Mazatlan-Puerto-LA in February or March. We would like some advise as to; What to do and not to do(we are a bit adventurous)? Is this a bad or good time to go? How is the weather? We like to snorkel on our own, hows the water?

In the passed we have cruised with Carnival and Royal. This time we are looking to use Norwegian on the Star. How different will that be then the others?

Mexican Riviera will be a lot different than Caribbean cruises. Water is much cooler especially that time of year. I am sailing on CCL Pride in February to same ports and I sailed on her sister ship last April to Cabo, Mazatlan and La Paz. Feb/Mar is a good time to go if you like to see whales but if you are a beach person, probably will be pretty cold water. I haven't snorkeled there but perhaps if you have a wetsuit or something to help keep you warmer. The weather itself won't be bad and will likely be warm but the water won't be warm like the Caribbean.

NCL is freestyle cruising so that will be a little different then you are used to but I say give it a try and judge for yourself. I've done NCL and Carnival and they are both fine.

The Star is a very nice ship. It doesn't have the bells and whistles like some of the larger/newer ships, i.e. no rock climbing wall or ice rink, etc. If you are looking for a "party" ship, then I wouldn't go with the Star. NCL also automatically charges your gratuities each day to your onboard account which some folks don't like but it works fine for me.

NCL is home of the freestyle cruising/dining. This means that you will NOT have a fixed dining time with set table mates. They also have several additional charge venues in addition to the free dining rooms.

We are doing the Riviera on the Star in March and are planning on parasailing, zip lining, swimming with dolphins and a beach trip w/ horseback riding, banana boat and swimming.

I was on the NCL Star in Oct. I liked it better than Carnival. The nightlife is much slower. The freestyle of being able to make my own schedule was great. Activities, shows, rooms all seem kind of similar to me. I would even consider going back, I liked it that much.

We wanted to snorkel on our own and tried in Cabo. We went to Lover's Beach and it was a disaster. The surf their is really rough and we our native Californians used to the ocean. My mom got thrown into the rocks and nearly drowned(that's when it occured to us that there are no lifeguards like we are used to), my 8yo broke his snorkel and couldn't get out of the surf. Close by was Pelican's rock which looked gentler with a lot of fish, but only accessible by boat or a long swim in that rough surf. It seemed to me worth the money to find one of the people on the dock offering to take you snorkeling to a nice spot so you could really enjoy it or maybe ask someone on this board who found a great place for snorkeling. Going on our own was not the way to go for us and it was one of the things our son really wanted to do.

RCCL's Mariner of the Seas is offering GREAT balcony prices (under $800 per) for 3 of the 4 March 2009 sailings..

If you haven't sailed a RCCL Voyager class ship, you should give it a try!

It's different than anything you've ever seen...and you can ice skate on a sea day!.....the (free) ice show is something you just won't believe you're watching on a ship!........

Mexican Riviera will be a lot different than Caribbean cruises. Water is much cooler especially that time of year. I am sailing on CCL Pride in February to same ports and I sailed on her sister ship last April to Cabo, Mazatlan and La Paz. Feb/Mar is a good time to go if you like to see whales but if you are a beach person, probably will be pretty cold water. I haven't snorkeled there but perhaps if you have a wetsuit or something to help keep you warmer. The weather itself won't be bad and will likely be warm but the water won't be warm like the Caribbean.

NCL is freestyle cruising so that will be a little different then you are used to but I say give it a try and judge for yourself. I've done NCL and Carnival and they are both fine.

Thanks for the info, it was just what we were looking for. We do have wet suits and if we can locate a good spot we still may give it a whirl.

The Star is a very nice ship. It doesn't have the bells and whistles like some of the larger/newer ships, i.e. no rock climbing wall or ice rink, etc. If you are looking for a "party" ship, then I wouldn't go with the Star. NCL also automatically charges your gratuities each day to your onboard account which some folks don't like but it works fine for me.

NCL is home of the freestyle cruising/dining. This means that you will NOT have a fixed dining time with set table mates. They also have several additional charge venues in addition to the free dining rooms.

We are doing the Riviera on the Star in March and are planning on parasailing, zip lining, swimming with dolphins and a beach trip w/ horseback riding, banana boat and swimming.

Again great info, thanks. These are the type of things we like to d also.

I was on the NCL Star in Oct. I liked it better than Carnival. The nightlife is much slower. The freestyle of being able to make my own schedule was great. Activities, shows, rooms all seem kind of similar to me. I would even consider going back, I liked it that much.

We wanted to snorkel on our own and tried in Cabo. We went to Lover's Beach and it was a disaster. The surf their is really rough and we our native Californians used to the ocean. My mom got thrown into the rocks and nearly drowned(that's when it occured to us that there are no lifeguards like we are used to), my 8yo broke his snorkel and couldn't get out of the surf. Close by was Pelican's rock which looked gentler with a lot of fish, but only accessible by boat or a long swim in that rough surf. It seemed to me worth the money to find one of the people on the dock offering to take you snorkeling to a nice spot so you could really enjoy it or maybe ask someone on this board who found a great place for snorkeling. Going on our own was not the way to go for us and it was one of the things our son really wanted to do.

From my reading on here lovers beach is one we would have tried, so I really appreciate the warning. We have snorkeled on our own a lot including several times in the Caribbean, but we do not have a death wish either.

Lots of incomplete information regarding snorkeling in Cabo so I'll try to add to the fracas.

There are 3 primary snorkeling areas in the LOS CABOS area. Up near the town of San Jose Del Cabo are 2 areas - Chileno Bay and Santa Maria Bay. These are the 2 main areas that the tour boats go to during snorkeling season. This period is basically from mid April through November. Caution - the water temps will still be quite cold (low to mid 60's) until May or June. Chileno Bay and Santa Maria Bay are somewhat protected (in the Sea Of Cortez) so the water may be a little warmer, but not much. The other primary snorkeling area (in Cabo San Lucas), is a small, marine protected area that is NEAR Lovers Beach. It is not AT Lovers Beach. There have been many positive reports regarding this area but I have no personal experience. Chileno Bay and Santa Maria Bay are really only reachable by excursion for cruisers. A cab ride to these areas would be expensive (at least $40 each way).

Another small note of caution. This is Mexico, not the U.S.. Do not expect to see Life Guards on any beach. Be smart.

Can the surf get rough from August-December? Yes, (OCCASIONALLY). The west coast has a hurricane season just like the east coast. So there are times when snorkeling (particularly when the surf is rough) is just plain stupid, not to mention dangerous. A little common sense goes a long ways here.

Bottom line. The main water activity in the Cabo area from December through March is the spectacular whale watching that occurs there. Guess what, the whales happen to love the 60 degree water. Air temps during the same time period happen to be a fantastic mid 70's to mid 80's. Humans happen to love those temps. Can you snorkel in March. I suppose so if you are part polar bear, but why miss out on the whales.

The water further south - Mazatlan & Puerto Vallarta will be slightly warmer from December to April, so my advice would be to try it there.

Regardless. Have a great cruise!

RCCL's Mariner of the Seas is offering GREAT balcony prices (under $800 per) for 3 of the 4 March 2009 sailings..

It's different than anything you've ever seen...and you can ice skate on a sea day!.....the (free) ice show is something you just won't believe you're watching on a ship!........

What he said!:D

My Wife and I returned from the Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta cruise in November. We have always cruised with RCCL and are partial to them as we have never had a bad experience and the rewards for multiple cruises are nice.

It can be alittle rough on the way down if you are not used to the sea. Some ginger pills three times a day and/or altoids or peppermint should help. Most people tend to feel worse, sleepy etc. when using the patches. Avoid excess alcohol consumption when in port until you start to sail and get a feel for what the sea is like. We saw multiple people who indulged a little much before we left port and paid the price. Anyway...

We decided to do the Cabo day "on our own" and walked form the tender area to medano beach for a day of sun, great water and a few beers. (we brought our own umbrella from home). Then walked int town to the giggling marlin for lunch. Check out the review on trip advisor, type in medano beach. Also check oput wikipedia maps they will give you a good persepctive of the port area.

In Mazatlan we also did another day "on our own" (check out trip advisor review) and took a taxi to the "golden zone" its the high end touristy stuff you see in most established ports. We decided to take the bus to "solabado centro" (sp) which is the main shopping area for locals and right next to a fabulous church, shops and a great restaurant called panamas. Great marketplace and a great cultural experience. The buses are about 60 cents each way vs. the taxis which are $10 plus each way.

We walked back to the pier from there.

In Puerto Vallarta we did an organized excursion and did the eco-tour catamaran trip to the marietas (sp) islands. Also again make sure you have your sea legs. It was not rough but some younger people had issues. The trip was about an hour to the islands and then they gave you a nice tour boating around the island with a very informative narration of the plant and animal life (they have blue footed boobies if you have never seen one in person). Then they let you snorkel for a long time, they have a snorkel tour guide if you wish or you can go it alone. They also have kayaks you can use from the boat. You can also opt not o snorkel or kayak which some did and just relax onboard. The ater was so clear you could just toss a small piece of bread nto the water and see all of the colorful fish. Then they asked if anyone would like to go to the beach for awhile and they took you there by boat and you could kayak and get in the water etc. Some people stayed on the catamaran and swam, got in more snorkeling or read and lounged. Some dove off the boat. Then they put out a great buffett and opened up the bar, very nice buffett and the drinks and beer were topnotch. They brought the people back from the beach and everyone hung out and ate and had drinks, it was nice. The crew provided entertainment there and back and for a whole day adventure including lunch, boat ride, open bar and water activity as well as education it was great and highly recommended.

Keep an open mind when traveling, stay informed and research, have realistic expectaions and more often than not you will be happily suprised and of course Travel Happy!! Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice.

Our last cruise was on a Voyager class ship, and we did enjoy her and the ice. It was one of the first sailings of a Voyager class ship out of Galviston. They put huge inflateable horns on her and the whole ten yards.

Lots of incomplete information regarding snorkeling in Cabo so I'll try to add to the fracas.

There are 3 primary snorkeling areas in the LOS CABOS area. Up near the town of San Jose Del Cabo are 2 areas - Chileno Bay and Santa Maria Bay. These are the 2 main areas that the tour boats go to during snorkeling season. This period is basically from mid April through November. Caution - the water temps will still be quite cold (low to mid 60's) until May or June. Chileno Bay and Santa Maria Bay are somewhat protected (in the Sea Of Cortez) so the water may be a little warmer, but not much. The other primary snorkeling area (in Cabo San Lucas), is a small, marine protected area that is NEAR Lovers Beach. It is not AT Lovers Beach. There have been many positive reports regarding this area but I have no personal experience. Chileno Bay and Santa Maria Bay are really only reachable by excursion for cruisers. A cab ride to these areas would be expensive (at least $40 each way).

Another small note of caution. This is Mexico, not the U.S.. Do not expect to see Life Guards on any beach. Be smart.

Can the surf get rough from August-December? Yes, (OCCASIONALLY). The west coast has a hurricane season just like the east coast. So there are times when snorkeling (particularly when the surf is rough) is just plain stupid, not to mention dangerous. A little common sense goes a long ways here.

Bottom line. The main water activity in the Cabo area from December through March is the spectacular whale watching that occurs there. Guess what, the whales happen to love the 60 degree water. Air temps during the same time period happen to be a fantastic mid 70's to mid 80's. Humans happen to love those temps. Can you snorkel in March. I suppose so if you are part polar bear, but why miss out on the whales.

The water further south - Mazatlan & Puerto Vallarta will be slightly warmer from December to April, so my advice would be to try it there.

Regardless. Have a great cruise!

More good info, thanks. This will be our 6th cruise and we have yet to see whale one. So I think we will move that up higher on the do do list.

We have snorkeld on lakes when the water temps were even a bit colder, I think we will pack the wet suits and give it a try. Do you have any info on how to get the marina area near lovers beach? Can you snorkel on your own there? What is good/safe to feed the fish?

More good info, thanks. This will be our 6th cruise and we have yet to see whale one. So I think we will move that up higher on the do do list.

We have snorkeld on lakes when the water temps were even a bit colder, I think we will pack the wet suits and give it a try. Do you have any info on how to get the marina area near lovers beach? Can you snorkel on your own there? What is good/safe to feed the fish?

You could probably have a water taxi or glass bottom boat take you over (but I'm not 100%). Make sure they understand that you want to go over to the snorkeling area and not Lover's Beach. Another option would be going by kayak. I believe there are even tours that offer this option. There may be kayaks for rental at the marina area. For sure, they will be available at Medano Beach. The marina option however may offer a shorter paddle to get there. If you were staring straight at Lover's Beach, the snorkeling area would be @ 100 yards (more or less, I'm really guessing here) to your right. Bigger boats are not allowed there. I'm not sure about the water taxi's. I would think the most environmentally responsible (and healthy) food to take for the fish would be aquarium food.

The whale watching trips normally last about 2 1/2 to 3 hours and most have a morning departure of around 10am and some also have an afternoon departure as well. We like the catamarans best for whale watching. About $35 per person and it will include drinks, snacks, or lunch. It will vary depending upon the company. The one we like provides beer, soda, bottled water as well as chips and fresh made salsa/guacamole.

Here is a link to my pictures taken from both the catamaran tour as well as from our timeshare this past February. The whales got so close to the shoreline of our timeshare that you could have probably hit them with a Ritz Cracker.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562535753iirWdb

Archived