SE Asia money

CruzR887

I'm going to be in Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and China on the Legand OS starting in late January and would like to know the best way to change money. Europe is so easy with ubiquitous ATM's but I'm not sure how to handle the exchange in Asia. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

Vietnam and Cambodia basically run on the American dollar (for markets, tuk-tuk rides, etc). ATM's in major cities but you will get the local currency.

China-you need Yuan (although dollars are accepted lots of places, it is technically illegal). There are ATM's (Bank of China) but you have to look for them

Thailand-ATM's for baht

Don't know about Singapore-never stayed long enough to need foreign currency.

You can generally exchange money on the ship if you think it is needed.

Generally I agree with Greatam except to say that the ATM's in Phnom Penh dispensed US $$.

Please let me know how many ATM's dispense dollars in PP. There must be new ones. By the backpacker's cafe (Alley Cat), there is one. But it is so often out of money that it is about useless. And the one by the White Thorn got vandalized. There is one in the bar at the FCC, but the bar staff has gotten somewhat nasty about "non customers" walking in, getting money, and then spending it down the street.

Hi...

I'm living in Singapore and haven't had any trouble with getting money. There are lots of ATMs everywhere and its easy to get local currency using your debit card (I still have US bank accounts). Also, most stores and even cabs take credit cards so its easy to use those. You will need local money for the hawker centers (local food courts), small local stores, and 7-11 only takes local Nets (Singapore's version of debit cards).

Have fun... we are on the Legend of the Seas Jan 23.

Carla

I just wanted to add that in Singapore there were ATMs and you could also exchange money at the cruise ship terminal at an exchange store. We had left over money from a couple of other places so I exchanged that. By the way right adjacent to the cruise shiop terminal is a wonderful subway system. Very easy to use.

As mentioned you can use USA dollars in Vietnam and that is actually prefered.

Where are you going in China? If you are in Hong Kong we learned that we could just use USA currency. We used credit cards in major stores and USA dollars out on the street, but again ATMs are available.

Keith

I brought some HK dollars and Singapore dollars with me but all the other places were happy to take American dollars. I never used an ATM or exchanged money. Bring a lot of singles with you for souvenir shopping and they go a long way.:)

I'm going to be in Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and China on the Legand OS starting in late January and would like to know the best way to change money. Europe is so easy with ubiquitous ATM's but I'm not sure how to handle the exchange in Asia. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

Archived