Egypt - 2 day trips - THOUGHTS appreciated

CruisinEurope

Hello!

We are on the Jade 25th sailing that has 2 days in Egypt. Rather than do an overnight in Cairo, we'd like to do 2 day trips.

We have 2 kids - so we're looking to keep things on their level - as well as seeing the MUST sees.

Here is a tour that I've designed - - I'd LOVE any feedback/thoughts/critiques.

What am I missing? Is this a do-able plan?

I've been in touch with 3 of the best companies according to you gurus here on CC - so I'm hoping to hear back soon.

THanks!

- -

Day 1Cairo:

Pick up at Pier

2.5 hour drive to Cairo

Pharaonic Village Experience ancient Egypt like never before at The Pharaonic Village in Cairo. A great family-friendly activity during your Egyptian vacation, the Pharaonic Village is a living museum of ancient Egyptian life.

Sail along canals as you pass by recreated scenes of life in ancient Egypt, all painstakingly produced with the utmost detail and authenticity. The one-hour guided cruise will introduce you to the history and lifestyle of Egypt in the time of pharoahs. Pass by scenes of everyday life, along with recreations of famous events such as the discovery of baby Moses floating on the Nile.

A popular attraction at The Pharaonic Village is the replica of King Tutankhamun's tomb as it was when discovered by Howard Carter in 1922. With the original tomb in the Valley of Kings long emptied of its treasures, this is a great chance to see the amazing sight if Egypt's only untouched pharoah's tomb. You can also learn about the ancient technique of mummification at a demonstration of the process. There is also an Islamic and Christian Museum dedicated to the two main religions of Egypt, as well as a newly opened exhibit detailing the history of Alexandria.

LUNCH (boxed lunch – eat in car to save time)

Giza pyramids: Cheops, Khafre and Menakaure. You will have free time to enter one of the pyramids (additional cost), though your guide is not permitted to enter with you.

A short drive to the city side of the plateau finds you standing at the feet of the Sphinx, the enigmatic symbol of Egypt. Also in Giza you may visit the Solar Boat Museum (optional), home to the remarkably well preserved funerary boat of Khufu.

Cairo's famous Egyptian Museum houses 165,000 Egyptian artifacts, but the priceless treasures of King Tutankhamun are the highlight. His six gilded coffins dominate the main hall, while his magnificent death mask is the star attraction. Your guide will introduce you to the museum's most important pieces before you have free time to explore at your leisure. The Royal Mummies Room (additional cost) is another highlight of the Egyptian Museum. Here you can see the mummies of many great Egyptian rulers, including Ramses II, the builder of the temples at Abu Simbel. Throughout the rest of the museum you will find countless Egyptian artifacts dating back thousands of years. Your guide will introduce you to the most important pieces before allowing you free time to explore at leisure.

SNACK (boxed snack to eat in car on way back to ship)

2.5 hours drive back to ship

Day 2 Alexandria:

The second largest city in Egypt, Alexandria has an atmosphere that is more Mediterranean than Middle Eastern and is famous for its Roman remains.

Alexandria was founded by Alexander the Great in 312 B.C., and was the capital of Graeco-Roman Egypt. Your first stop in this historic city is the catacombs of Kom ash-Shuqqafa, a Roman burial site whose family tomb reveals the merging of Egyptian and Roman art and architecture. Descend below ground to visit the tomb and Caracalla Hall.

Back above ground, continue to Pompey's Pillar, an 82-foot (25-meter) granite column built to honor Emperor Diocletian, who freed the besieged city and brought food to its starving people. Continuing the Roman theme, the next site your guide will show you is the Roman amphitheater, possibly the best preserved Roman site in Egypt. The site also includes the remains of a Roman street and homes.

LUNCH BREAK

Alexandria Library. In contrast to the ancient architecture found throughout Egypt, the Norwegian-designed building is a striking piece of modern design. A copy of every book published in the world is kept in the library, making it one of the great literary sites in the world. The library also houses several exhibitions relating to the history of Egypt and a display of rare antique books (additional cost).

Time for shopping (I've asked each tour company for recommendations on bazaars or rug/papyrus places to shop)

Back to ship.

Your proposed itinerary sounds very balanced and, although you are seeing a lot on Day 1, I think it is pretty realistic. You don't say how old your kids are, but I have heard from at least one or two posters here that the Pharaonic Village is actually better than they expected, so it seems like a smart choice.

A couple of comments: going inside the pyramids really isn't great. It's a small, dark, difficult trip inside with nothing much to see. Instead, I HIGHLY recommend the Solar Boat museum, which is right beside the pyramids. It is something that you and your kids will find very interesting.

The Museum should be less crowded at the end of the day. I found the mummies to be a must see, but depending on your kids' ages, they may be a little gruesome.

Thank you thank you!

I haven't heard ANYTHING on these boards about the Pharonic Villiage, so I was a bit worried that it would be a waste of time.

Our kids are 5 & 7 ... but are VERY used to travelling and museums and such.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to know at least someone else thinks it's doable!

:D

Here, I dug this review up for you. It's from a poster I'd definitely trust!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=587430&highlight=murphysmum

WHOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much!!!

That just solidified by determination to see that - - FIRST!

Thank you!!

My only comment is to have you review your plans to drive back and forth rather than spend the night in Cairo. It's a solid 3 hour drive each way so why waste 6 hours on the road? The drive from Port Said to Cairo runs along the Suez Canal for a while then you're in a very rural area. The road between Alexandria and Cairo is a 6 lane freeway across the desert. Really, stay in Cairo rather than subjecting your kids to the long drive.

My only comment is to have you review your plans to drive back and forth rather than spend the night in Cairo. It's a solid 3 hour drive each way so why waste 6 hours on the road? The drive from Port Said to Cairo runs along the Suez Canal for a while then you're in a very rural area. The road between Alexandria and Cairo is a 6 lane freeway across the desert. Really, stay in Cairo rather than subjecting your kids to the long drive.

They are not returning to Cairo on the second day. Also, the kids will probably sleep in the car on the drive back!

Hi! Thanks!

Yes, we've revised our schedule just a bit after talking with several guides.

I think that what we are going to do NOW is:

Pharonic Villiage

(lunch there & let kiddos play on playground to blow off steam for a bit)

(also do the boat ride there, along w/ the papyrus museum)

then on to the Pyramids & Sphinx

Solar boat museum

OVERNIGHT in Cairo

then the next Am do the Egyptian Museum

then drive back to Alexandria and try to hit a few sights in Alexandria before the day is done.

Now I just need to research hotels in Cairo that are safe and family friendly.

Any advice???

Have you tour guide book your hotel. I suggest that you stay in Gaza so you can attend the 45 min night Sound and Light show at the Pyramids. The kids would love it. We stayed at the Le Meridian. Any hotel stay will include a breakfast buffet.

Contact Nile Blue Tours at info@nilebluetours.com. Tell Hazem that Rita sent you. He can arrange all you want to do.

Hi! Thanks!

Yes, we've revised our schedule just a bit after talking with several guides.

I think that what we are going to do NOW is:

Pharonic Villiage

(lunch there & let kiddos play on playground to blow off steam for a bit)

(also do the boat ride there, along w/ the papyrus museum)

then on to the Pyramids & Sphinx

Solar boat museum

OVERNIGHT in Cairo

then the next Am do the Egyptian Museum

then drive back to Alexandria and try to hit a few sights in Alexandria before the day is done.

Now I just need to research hotels in Cairo that are safe and family friendly.

Any advice???

Giza is closer to Alexandria, so if you did the pyramids in the morning of day 2, then headed back, you'd avoid some of the Cairo traffic. Also, the pyramids are less crowded first thing in the morning, whereas the Cairo Museum is swamped with tours in the morning and tends to clear out in the afternoon. So I'd suggest seeing the museum in the afternoon of Day 1, then heading to Giza to stay the night (possibly seeing the sound & light show....but your kids may be too tired to enjoy it depending on the time). See the pyramids in the a.m., then head back to Alex for the remainder of your time.

Just my thoughts......Cairo traffic is definitely a factor worth considering. I've never seen anything like it.

Mena House is a superb historic hotel to consider at Giza. Your guide can definitely make arrangements.

Giza is closer to Alexandria, so if you did the pyramids in the morning of day 2, then headed back, you'd avoid some of the Cairo traffic. Also, the pyramids are less crowded first thing in the morning, whereas the Cairo Museum is swamped with tours in the morning and tends to clear out in the afternoon. So I'd suggest seeing the museum in the afternoon of Day 1, then heading to Giza to stay the night (possibly seeing the sound & light show....but your kids may be too tired to enjoy it depending on the time). See the pyramids in the a.m., then head back to Alex for the remainder of your time.

Just my thoughts......Cairo traffic is definitely a factor worth considering. I've never seen anything like it.

Mena House is a superb historic hotel to consider at Giza. Your guide can definitely make arrangements.

Thank you SO much for the insigght!

I'm hoping that giving my list of "things to see" to the guides will result in them doing the arranging of everything - - but I'm not too sure.

The guide that we're going with seems VERY eager to please and VERY well connected. He is even humoring us on our trip to the Pharonic Village as a "main thing" ... he wanted to make sure that we knew it was a "theme park" and "not the REAL stuff". Too sweet.

We just returned from NCL Jade 12/21/2008 - 01/04/2009. We used NCL Best of Cairo Overnight tour and we can HIGHLY recommend it. Price might look steep but it's fully inclusive - all admission prices are included as well as all meals (fantastic buffet meals in huge beautiful banguet rooms in 5 star hotels). We were app 30 in our coach (there were 9 coaches total for that tour but we all didn't travel together most of the time - partly to avoid congestion) and we had an Egyptologist, driver and a security guy - with gun (yes, 3 different people). I think we saw more that the other independent tour firms did - the cars in congested Cairo happily give away to us coaches. We were late getting back to the ship but the ship waited for us.

We were so happy to have taken the ship's tour, however the price, it gave us safety and security as well as comfort and plenty of sights from high up coach windows.

We overnighted at Intercontinential Semiramsis and it was LOVELY.

I posted the above in 2 other threads.

I think THIS is the best tour for you and your kids - Better take one overnight tour than two day tours with overnight back on ship. Please believe me when I say this.

We did see several kids on this tour - as young as your kids' ages.

Archived