Herod's Island Delight or Land and Sea tour

Denicewu

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to bump this back up to the top because of my family's wonderful experience with Herod. His tour is AMAZING. As others have said, simply post on your roll call board if your group is not originally large enough to officially book. Within 1 day I had two other interested groups who were also interested based on reviews. Here are my thoughts on Herod's Land and Sea tour: If you want the best possible tour in St. Lucia, Herod will deliver. My family and I (age ranges 28-72) recently took Herod's Land and Sea Tour on February 3rd. Let me begin by saying that I have been on many tours and this was by far THE BEST tour I have ever been on. When anyone asks me about our whole cruise/vacation, I tell them the best part was this tour. Herod is an extremely friendly, gracious, and knowledgeable guide with a wonderful smile. He picked us up right outside the cruise terminal and loaded us in his very clean and comfortable van. One benefit of his tour over others is that it is more personal because he uses the "right size" vehicle for the group that books, to make sure everyone has enough space. For example, there were twelve of us total who booked with him that day, but he took 9 of us in a van that I think was a 16 passenger van and had the other 3 people went in a very nice car with his coworker/cousin as their driver (who also did a fantastic job). We felt comfortable and safe the whole time. Along the way, he supplied us with water, soda, Piton beer, and rum punch as often as we liked. The views along the drive were AMAZING...some of our favorite things were when he got us fresh hot buttered bread from a bakery in Anse La Raye, the stop at the banana plantation to sample bananas ripened ON THE VINE (amazing), the various views of the Pitons as you travel through the island. This island literally looks like the Garden of Eden--lush vegetation, beautiful flowering plants, gorgeous waterfalls and ocean views and so on. We then hopped on a very nice boat to go to Jalousie Beach to snorkel. The beach itself was beautiful but the snorkeling was unbelievable. I saw reef squid, a crazy amount of fish, and some of the largest sponge coral and other coral formations I have ever seen. Another reason I loved this tour was that he made sure we arrived all of the places we visited before other tours, so for example at Jalousie we were able to secure the best chairs under the shade at the beach for free before other people showed up who weren't able to get chairs. Next he took us into Soufriere and we had the most enjoyable, relaxing caribbean/creole lunch on the verandah of his mother's house which overlooks a garden with a view of the Pitons. The lunch included all kinds of Caribbean delicacies like fish, creole chicken, rice and beans, plantains, and so on. Even picky eaters will be able to find something they like amongst this spread! We also had fresh grapefruit juice squeezed from a tree in their yard. My family and I all agreed that this lunch was just so enjoyable because it was so personal, almost like you were eating with friends--it's just something one has to experience sometime. His mother and other family friends that assisted were so gracious and friendly. Another thing I appreciated was the extra time he took with my uncle who is 72 and just had recent back/neck surgery and has a little trouble getting around. He was extra careful in letting him sit in front and relax if we went to walk somewhere where there were steps involved (such as at Sulphur Springs, which although very smelly was worth the visit). He also made sure to help him very carefully in and out of the van when he needed it and into and out of the boat to Jalousie and back to the cruise ship. After lunch we visited the waterfall and botanical gardens and then hopped aboard the boat again for a relaxing boat tour back to the ship with stops for great photo ops from the water of several different things, including the Pitons, Marigot Bay, etc. We arrived with just enough time to comfortably get back on the ship. We felt his tour was definitely worth way more than we paid, so we all tipped him generously. Every single one of us said we would absolutely book this same exact tour again--and hope to see Herod again for a tour sometime soon. Thanks again to Herod for such an amazing time. Please feel free to write me with questions regarding his tour...I am more than happy to share more about our experience because it was just the best!

• 2 weeks later...
I just wanted to bump this back up to the top because of my family's wonderful experience with Herod. His tour is AMAZING. As others have said, simply post on your roll call board if your group is not originally large enough to officially book. Within 1 day I had two other interested groups who were also interested based on reviews. Here are my thoughts on Herod's Land and Sea tour: If you want the best possible tour in St. Lucia, Herod will deliver. My family and I (age ranges 28-72) recently took Herod's Land and Sea Tour on February 3rd. Let me begin by saying that I have been on many tours and this was by far THE BEST tour I have ever been on. When anyone asks me about our whole cruise/vacation, I tell them the best part was this tour. Herod is an extremely friendly, gracious, and knowledgeable guide with a wonderful smile. He picked us up right outside the cruise terminal and loaded us in his very clean and comfortable van. One benefit of his tour over others is that it is more personal because he uses the "right size" vehicle for the group that books, to make sure everyone has enough space. For example, there were twelve of us total who booked with him that day, but he took 9 of us in a van that I think was a 16 passenger van and had the other 3 people went in a very nice car with his coworker/cousin as their driver (who also did a fantastic job). We felt comfortable and safe the whole time. Along the way, he supplied us with water, soda, Piton beer, and rum punch as often as we liked. The views along the drive were AMAZING...some of our favorite things were when he got us fresh hot buttered bread from a bakery in Anse La Raye, the stop at the banana plantation to sample bananas ripened ON THE VINE (amazing), the various views of the Pitons as you travel through the island. This island literally looks like the Garden of Eden--lush vegetation, beautiful flowering plants, gorgeous waterfalls and ocean views and so on. We then hopped on a very nice boat to go to Jalousie Beach to snorkel. The beach itself was beautiful but the snorkeling was unbelievable. I saw reef squid, a crazy amount of fish, and some of the largest sponge coral and other coral formations I have ever seen. Another reason I loved this tour was that he made sure we arrived all of the places we visited before other tours, so for example at Jalousie we were able to secure the best chairs under the shade at the beach for free before other people showed up who weren't able to get chairs. Next he took us into Soufriere and we had the most enjoyable, relaxing caribbean/creole lunch on the verandah of his mother's house which overlooks a garden with a view of the Pitons. The lunch included all kinds of Caribbean delicacies like fish, creole chicken, rice and beans, plantains, and so on. Even picky eaters will be able to find something they like amongst this spread! We also had fresh grapefruit juice squeezed from a tree in their yard. My family and I all agreed that this lunch was just so enjoyable because it was so personal, almost like you were eating with friends--it's just something one has to experience sometime. His mother and other family friends that assisted were so gracious and friendly. Another thing I appreciated was the extra time he took with my uncle who is 72 and just had recent back/neck surgery and has a little trouble getting around. He was extra careful in letting him sit in front and relax if we went to walk somewhere where there were steps involved (such as at Sulphur Springs, which although very smelly was worth the visit). He also made sure to help him very carefully in and out of the van when he needed it and into and out of the boat to Jalousie and back to the cruise ship. After lunch we visited the waterfall and botanical gardens and then hopped aboard the boat again for a relaxing boat tour back to the ship with stops for great photo ops from the water of several different things, including the Pitons, Marigot Bay, etc. We arrived with just enough time to comfortably get back on the ship. We felt his tour was definitely worth way more than we paid, so we all tipped him generously. Every single one of us said we would absolutely book this same exact tour again--and hope to see Herod again for a tour sometime soon. Thanks again to Herod for such an amazing time. Please feel free to write me with questions regarding his tour...I am more than happy to share more about our experience because it was just the best!

What a great review! Thanks Saree182. We'll be on RCL Adventure of the Seas 3/14/10. Being that this is our first time cruising, we were going to book all of our excursions through RCL. However, after doing much research and reading your posts, I decided to book Harod's Land & Sea excursion instead. The only thing is, Harod just told me that he needs at least 3 more people to do that tour (St. Lucia 3/17/10). Anyone interested? Please let me know. Here's the link to the tour http://www.herodsislandtours.com/land_sea_safari_tour.html. You can contact Harod directly at hstanislas@hotmail.com or 758.285.1089.

rottieto2001-

I'm glad you found my review helpful. In the past we used to book all ship excursions as well, until I learned about this website. My experience is that, (knock on wood) in general, if you find excursions through here where people have written many great reviews about their experiences with local vendors, you are much better off and often get a lot more bang for your buck. The local vendors rely SOLELY on our word of mouth and satisfaction, whereas the ship sponsored excursions keep going as long as they don't get too many complaints (but not necessarily stellar reviews). It seems like the local guys go above and beyond to do a great job--Herod definitely did. Anyway, I truly hope you find an additional 3 to go, and I truly hope you will enjoy it as much as we did--I think you will! Please tell him Sarah says hello when you see him. Have a fantastic cruise, we had such a great time on the AOS.

My family and I are on RCL Serenade of the Seas also docking in St. Lucia on Wednesday March 17. We booked a private land and sea excursion with him for our party of 5 several weeks ago because we didn't want the hassle of trying to ensure a group of 10 which Herod said was needed to get the group rate. Herod did encourage us to find another 5 people so that we could go as a group. How many are there in your party and would you be interested in joining us? Elynne

My family and I are on RCL Serenade of the Seas also docking in St. Lucia on Wednesday March 17. We booked a private land and sea excursion with him for our party of 5 several weeks ago because we didn't want the hassle of trying to ensure a group of 10 which Herod said was needed to get the group rate. Herod did encourage us to find another 5 people so that we could go as a group. How many are there in your party and would you be interested in joining us? Elynne

Elynne - we have 2 people in our party (my husband & me). How much does it cost for a private land & sea excursion with Harod? Do you think Harod meant your group when he said he had 5 other people interested in the excursion?

I do believe we are 5 of the potential 10 that Herod requires for a "group" tour. Essentially, I think he expects a total of $700 for the day's excursion. This is divided by the number of participants. Therefore, if we become a group of 7 the per person cost would be $100 for the day including lunch and the boat cruise. The price goes down with each additional person. I would suggest that you also post an announcement for tour share on your ship's "roll call" site. I have posted on mine but so far no takers. We would love to share the day with you and your husband. Our group consists of my husband and myself as well as our two kids ages 18 and 24 as well as a 24 yo friend. Elynne

I have posted on my ship's roll call page. So far, only 1 person responded. It's a family of 4 asked me to join them on a private charter cruise with Ocean Angel tour http://oceanangelboattours.com/charters.html (they listed the same phone # as Harod, not sure if they're run or owned by same people). But their tour of the waterfall/gardens, volcano and lunch are optional add-ons. So I had asked her to join us instead. Still waiting for her answer. I will keep you posted. Thanks Elynne.

OK Rottie I'll keep checking the boards for your f/u messages and will give you any updates I receive Elynne

Elynne, does Harod still do the private tour for us even if we don't have 10 people? Lisa is checking for the "add-ons" on her tour with Ocean Angel, hope to hear from her tomorrow. I'm leaving for Vieques (Puerto Rico) early Thursday morning, and hope to be able to finalize all my excursions before I leave. This is my first time cruising, i'm a bit nervous :-) Tina

Yes- Herod said he would do this tour with less people. It is just the cost that changes If we are a group of 10 then the rate is $70pp. If we are less, the total will still be $700 just divided amonst a smaller number ie if it our family of 5 and the two of you the pp cost will be $100

We spoke with Herod directly several weeks ago. He told us that if we had a party of at least 10 the cost would be $70pp inclusive of lunch and entry fees. We are a group of 5, my husband and I, and three kids (or should I say -young adults) ages 24,24, and 18. We are going with him right now at private tour prices. There is another couple also interested in this trip (rottie2001) which would make us 11 if you joined. I will see if I can reach Herod to see if he can accomodate a group this size if you think you would like to join us. We will also be at the meet and greet for cruise critic aboard the ship- see if you can sign up so that we cdan be sure to meet up. Elynne

Our family is very interested in this tour, but my daughter gets VERY motion sickness, which is where our concerns are. Could you tell me how "bad" is the drive for someone who gets motion sickness. How long are you in the van? Plenty of stops??? We will be in St. Lucia on April 5th and may really be interested in this one. OH!!! And with this, do you get to snorkel at all?? Thanks!

We spoke with Herod directly several weeks ago. He told us that if we had a party of at least 10 the cost would be $70pp inclusive of lunch and entry fees. We are a group of 5, my husband and I, and three kids (or should I say -young adults) ages 24,24, and 18. We are going with him right now at private tour prices. There is another couple also interested in this trip (rottie2001) which would make us 11 if you joined. I will see if I can reach Herod to see if he can accomodate a group this size if you think you would like to join us. We will also be at the meet and greet for cruise critic aboard the ship- see if you can sign up so that we cdan be sure to meet up. Elynne

Elynne & Rabec2323 - 11 people are fine, Harod needs at least 10 for the group price, but he can accomodate up to 20 people.

Rabec2323 - so are you joining us?

I too spoke with herod this am and he is delighted to take our group of 11. He just wants a formal count by the day before the excursion. We are definitely committed as I think rottie is too. I am on the same ship as rabec et al. Why don't you find me at the meet and greet and let me know for sure so that I can email herod with the final numbers. If not I will try to get some computer time to check this thread when we are already at sea. Looking forward to traveling with all of you and bon voyage Elynne

Our family is very interested in this tour, but my daughter gets VERY motion sickness, which is where our concerns are. Could you tell me how "bad" is the drive for someone who gets motion sickness. How long are you in the van? Plenty of stops??? We will be in St. Lucia on April 5th and may really be interested in this one. OH!!! And with this, do you get to snorkel at all?? Thanks!

We went on Herod's tour in 2009 (Jan) and enjoyed his tour very much! We lucked out to have Herod himself and the four of us in a small van and the descriptions about the fresh bread, ripe bananas and everything is accurate.

Regarding the motion sickness; one lady (of our party of two retired couples) became sick 3-4 times during our ride over the winding and narrow but well-paved road around St. Lucia. Herod was very considerate and patient about pulling over and letting her get herself together and even pointed out things for the rest of us to see to help her not feel the center of attention. I was surprised at our friend's problem with the winding road but then I have never had the problem of motion sickness. His driving and the vehicle was fine but the road was crooked and other drivers were obviously very familiar with it and the ride may surprise some who aren't used to traveling on such roads. BTW- He took us to a private beach (at a resort) for a couple hours after his tour and came back when he said he would to pick us up. The view of the Pitons was great (kind of straight up as I remember) but it was more of a beach experience rather than a snorkling one in our case. Like everyone else, I would highly recommend Harod's tours; I'll leave the motion sickness thing up to you. Any others have anything to add on that?

We took Herod's Land Sea tour in February of this year. It was the best excursion of the entire cruise. The beach was not very good, but everything else was great. The highlight was lunch at Herod's mothers house.

As far as motion sickness is concerned, we had no problem, but we are not prone to motion sickness either. I think if you are prone to motion sickness, then this could be a problem with all of the winding roads. Most people with motion sickness do better if they can sit up front and look out the windshield.

I would recomend this tour if there is anyway you can get in it. It is about 6-61/2 hour tour.

We just returned from the Celebrity Summit. (mother, father and two daughters in their early 20's). While in St. Lucia, we took Herod's Land and Sea tour. He does a great job in keeping everything moving and well organized. We stopped at a banana plantation and had a fresh banana, had the warm bread everyone is discussing and a very nice lunch on his parents porch of their house over looking the Pitons. We went for a quick swim in a waterfall, to the volcano, and also some beach time at Jalousie Beach. At the end, we came back to the ship by way of boat. It is both scenic and fun. Also, in the back of the van there is rum punch, Piton Beer, sodas and water that come with the price. All of this was $70 per person and a great day.

As some have said, the roads here are very windy and hillly. We have a daughter that tends to have motion sickness, but Herod gave her the front seat and she did well.

I would highly recommend this tour for those wanting to see a lot of the island in a day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived