Snorkeling etc

Diddles62

Was just wondering whether is worthwhile to purchase a mask/snokel set.. I am not what you call a "waterbaby" and DH reckons it may be a waste of money ~sighes~ BUT its something different I may enjoy so not sure what to do :confused:

Go for it Diana. I was not what you'd call a waterbaby either, tried snorkelling up in queensland and got hooked, we must cruise somewhere where I can snorkel at least once!!!

I love it :) I'm sure you will too, once you get the hang of it :)

Lynda...........who desperately wants to cruise but has to wait until 2010 :(

I have to agree with Lynda. Go and buy yourself a cheapish set and (I bought ours from Rebel) and have a ball while on holidays.

If you can, and have a bit of a practice in a backyard pool, just so you can see how tight to make your googles and to get the gist of breathing through the snorkle.;)

Have a great cruise!!!:D

Was just wondering whether is worthwhile to purchase a mask/snokel set.. I am not what you call a "waterbaby" and DH reckons it may be a waste of money ~sighes~ BUT its something different I may enjoy so not sure what to do :confused:

Absolutley Dianne:p I never did before I went cruising now I am HOOKED.

You will enjoy it so much I am 57yrs young over wieght lol but I can do it and enjoy it.

Go enjoy

Gail

My wife and I are not into watersports as such but we never miss a chance to snorkel. Cheap gear will ruin the experience though. We use Mojave Genesis snorkels that we got from an online vendor for just under $50 each and they are fantastic. They are what is called a 'dry snorkel' and you will never ever get a mouth full of water using these. We spent around $100 on our masks and they also provide excellent comfort and fit. I would recommend buying from a dive store where they can match the mask to your face.

Don't need flippers but reef shoes for around $9 are an absolute must, as are rashies 'cause the sun will get you while you stare amazed at the fish, coral etc.:)

We LOVE LOVE LOVE snorkelling! Go buy yourself a set, and see what you have been missing out on! What ports are you going to?

Hi steggle we are off to Noumea, Isle of Pines, Vila, Mystery Island and Oveu :)

Thanks everyone for your replies much appreciated :o

Hi steggle we are off to Noumea, Isle of Pines, Vila, Mystery Island and Oveu :)

:o

Hi Diddles62,

Wow! You are going to some of the best snorkelling spots. At Isle of Pines, Mystery Island and Ouvea there is not much else to do except swim and snorkel. The coral areas are close to the beach and it is so easy.

I take my own snorkel equipment. It cost about the same as I would have paid to hire it for one cruise, but I have used it on a few cruises now. If you don't want to spend much money, you could buy an inexpensive snorkel and mask ($30 or less) and use reef shoes instead of flippers. They are much easier to pack and cost a lot less. Flippers aren't really essential at the locations where you are going because there is only a short distance to swim, but don't do it in bare feet. You would risk cutting your feet on the coral, and an infected coral cut can be painful and slow to heal. :):)

Evon.

Thanks for that Evon...... got reef shoes for DH & I so guess they well be clued to our feet LOL, Will start looking for something that will do the job and can share with DH who also isnt fond of the water :o

I can relate to that. My husband isn't either.

You already have the reef shoes, so I would get two snorkel and mask sets. It is just so much fun snorkelling with a partner and holding hands as you swim. You can then point out things in the water and share the experience. It makes it much better than snorkelling alone and then later trying to tell your partner what you saw.

Hint - When you buy the masks, put one up against your face but without putting the strap around the back of your head. Breathe in deeply, bend forwards a little bit, and if the mask fits your face (meaning it is watertight) it will hang on by itself.

Have a fantastic time and when you get back tell us all about your snorkelling adventures. :):)

Evon.

Buy the snorkel & mask and some reef shoes. We didn't think that we would use them so ended up having to buy them on the ship - cost a small fortune - but we had a fantastic time using them. We had never snorkelled before and had a great time.

940844522_ksnorkelling.jpg.fc704e7bfb94725c121887fa3042d0a5.jpg

1090906841_wsnorkelling.jpg.8bb7bb9a8efdae4720824a40b13159de.jpg

Archived