Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay

kikiganz

For the most beautiful, exotic beach (with our timeframe in mind), which do you pick?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. For the most beautiful, exotic beach (with our timeframe in mind), which do you pick?

• Trunk Bay
    • Cinnamon Bay

We dock in St. Thomas at 7:00 AM and depart at 5:30 PM. However, after educating myself all week with these boards I have come to find out that St. John (USVI) seems to have the most beautiful, exotic beaches. Therefore, we really want to head over there to be beach bums. I have heard a lot of talk about Cinnamon Bay and Trunk Bay. With our timeframe in mind (the amount of time it would take to get over there and get back on the ship in time) and our desire to be at the most beautiful, exotic beach which one would you choose?

Thanks!

kikiganz :)

We just returned from Mariner and went to Trunk Bay. St. John is a beautiful island and the beach is wonderful. The only thing we didn't like was that you have to sit on your towel. There are no beach chairs or umbrellas. By the time you shower off (bring extra clothes) you feel kind of yucky traveling back in the taxi or bus and then on the boat. Just my opinion.

nr

I actually thought the snorkeling was better at Cinnamon but it is not as easy to find the best spots because at Trunk they have the trail marked. I just looked for darker spots in the water and had no trouble finding lots of different fish. I hope this helps!

Trunk Bay has better snorkeling, however I prefer Cinnamon Bay.

The ship sponsored excursions frequent Trunk Bay; Cinnamon Bay was deserted when we went, last year. The two beaches are in close proximity to each other, so the time factor is the same, for either one.

Cinnamon Bay does have snorkeling, off towards the right, as you face the beach. It has all of the facilities that you could ask for: changing/shower rooms, restaurant, convenience store, small shop right at the beach, rental equipment shack, AND very few people!

If you like the crowds, go to Trunk Bay for the better snorkeling. If you want solitude, in a gorgeous setting, go to Cinnamon Bay.

The St John coastline is the most beautiful of any place that I have visited; including Hawaii, Australia, Jamaica, and the other southern caribbean ports.

You can't go wrong with either of these beaches!

Thanks Jean-lynd & Magnum PI. I think I'll take less crowds and head to CInnamon Bay. Our 7 year old daughter will be us - would her age be of any consideration for snorkeling Cinnamon Bay?

Can anyone give me directions to Cinnamon Bay? How long should I allot for travel to/from ship?

This is just my opinion but I would think a 7 year old would be able to snorkel easier at Trunk. When we were at Cinnamon the water over the reef was pretty shallow making it harder to swim over without getting cut by the coral. Also, at trunk they had a person on a float in the water keeping an eye on people. I am not sure if it was a life gaurd or not but I would feel better knowing that there was someone out there. I'm sure the time of the year and the time of the day would affect the water depth so your experience might be different from ours. They are very close together. I don't know about directions - I just know that you go by Trunk to get to Cinnamon. Most of the taxis were like open air trolleys and they would stop at both beaches. You could always go to Cinnamon first - no entry fee - and give it a try if you don't like it grab a taxi and head to Trunk. I hope this helps!

our desire to be at the most beautiful, exotic beach

I have been to both, and neither fit the description of what you are looking for. The ride around the island of St. Johns and seeing both beaches from afar was much prettier than actually being on the beach.

If I had to choose, I would go back to Trunk, because it was the prettiest area and we had better snorkeling. The facilities were also very nice.

Cinnamon was more deserted, but not many fish for us and the beach wasn't the best.

Nothing beats the beaches of SC, as far as beauty is concerned, so I have a hard time describing the Caribbean beaches as beautiful and exotic.

One of our favorite beaches was Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas. Not too far from the pier, which gave us more sun time.

Having said that, if you have never been to the island of St. John, it is worth a trip.

Wow, I thought St. John was beautiful, quiet and not that crowded. The day we were there, there was 4 ships in port. We arrived at St. John a little after 9:00 am.....it was just dh and I and one other couple. Paradise! At about 11:00 am, more people showed up but lots more on the right side for the snorkeling. I still found it comfortable but now I really must try Cinnamon Bay for more solitude. Sounds heavenly! Thanks.

I fell in love with Trunk Bay and the whole island of St. John. The snorkelling was excellent, the colours of the reef and plant life were amazing and the amount of fish was fanatastic...did I mention I loved Trunk bay.

We spent the day on the beach and it never got that crowded. I did not spend the day at Cinnamon Bay but it was also beautiful.

Our family of 4 (myself, DW, DD, and DS) ALL prefer Trunk Bay over Cinnamon. I still regret the time my DW talked us into "trying" Cinnamon as I consider that a lost opportunity to have once again experienced, what to me is the most beautiful beach in the Carribean. As another poster mentioned, try to get to Trunk Bay early before the ship tours "dump" everyone there on the beach around 11 or 11:30 am.

Typically, when we visit St. Thomas we will be one of the first people off the ship, take a cab to the Red Hook ferry, take the ferry to St. John, and grab a taxi to Trunk Bay. On at least 2 occasions, we have been the first tourists on the beach that morning. It's hard to describe having one of the world's most beautiful beaches all to yourself. I also think the snorkling is MUCH better at Trunk Bay instead of Cinnamon. However, please be careful and DO NOT stand on, or pick up the beautiful coral just below your feet. One poster mentioned someone in the ocean watching the snorklers. I suspect they were trying to keep people off the coral. Remember, "Take only memories and leave only bubbles!"

Usually by noon, we grab a taxi and start to head back to the ship where my wife can clean up, we grab some lunch, and then take a taxi to downtown Charlotte Amalie for what we both consider the best shopping in the Carribean (cameras, electronics, for me and clothing, crystal, linens for her).

Enjoy Trunk Bay, St. John and St. Thomas. These are incredible destinations!

Steve

How long does it take to get from Trunk Bay to the St. John ferry? We need to figure out what time we'll need to leave Trunk Bay by. It sounds like taking the ferry to Charlotte Amalie is the best return option.

Also, does Trunk Bay have bathroom facilities that we can change out of suits when we're ready to leave?

Once you are in the taxi, it will only take about 10 minutes (15 minutes tops) from Trunk Bay to the ferry on St. John. Trunk Bay is a little bit closer to the ferry than Cinnamon. As the other poster mentioned, there are changing facilities at Trunk Bay (I don't remember if there were at Cinnamon). Try to go online and get the ferry schedule both back to Red Hook and to Charlotte Amalie (depending on where you want to head back to) so you don't get back to the ferry and have to wait 30 or 45 minutes for the next ferry.

Enjoy!

Steve

Archived