Skagway Chilkoot Charters & Tours

KansasScrapper

I emailed the company and this is the info they provided:

White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion; 3.5 hours $122/Adult; $78 Child (12 and under); 1 3/4 hours on train to WHite Pass and Fraser by train; return by bus

Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion - 7 hours $175/Adult; $120 Child; Includes Lunch, Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train; 1 3/4 hours on train to Frader, Fraser to Carcroos and Emerald Lake, return by bus

Youkon Rail & Bus Excursion with 15 minute dogsled ride

Same as above and doglsed $206 Adults; $153 Child

Skgaway/Carcross Rail & Bus - 9 hours $228 Adult; $152 child

Lunch: Lake Bennett; 2.5 hours on train; 1.5 hours for layover at Lake Beenett; 2 hours by train to Carcorss to Emerald Lake and return to Skagway

Transportation is psrovided to and from all cruise ship docks in Skagway

We went to Alaksa in 2007 and are returning in June of 09 again. We love Alaska to say the least.

This tour is definitely worth going on because of all that you can see! I loved our tour bus driver. I mistakenly left my gloves on board the bus after getting off in Downtown Skagway with my husband for some shopping. THe driver found them and he made the trip back to our ship and left my gloves with guest services. I was most impressed with his thoughtfulness and his knowledge of Alaska and the areas we traveled in. He made our trip quite memorable. We were one of three couples under the age of 50 on our cruise on Princess so when we got off the ship for our excursions we did everything in our power to enjoy Alaska without the fellow travelers that were on our ship. Our bus driver understood how we felt and he made sure to really show us a good time.

I do hope my comments are helpful to you all. Now let's all go to Alaska and have a GOOD time!

CincinnatiGal

We did the tour to the train ride and then the bus tour through the Canada Yukon ( Fraiser) and back to Skagway...ot was a long day and it was nice to then be able to get off the bus in downtown Skagway have a drink at a local restaurant and then do some shopping and walk all the way back to the ship. What a nice day we had that day!

Hope to repeat this on our cruise again this year on the Radiance of the Seas.

CincinnatiGal

Theres a local in Skagway named Dyea Dave who does a Yukon Tour and can take you anywhere you would like to go. He's meeting us in Frasure after our White Pass Railroad ride. He's mentioned the dog sled place, a gold mine, a local bakery for "Bannock", and even up to the snow fields if we decide to go there before returning us to our ship. He's been very prompt in replying to my emails since I made our reservation. Also, if it's foggy in the morning, you have the option of touring first and then riding the train back to the ship. If you want his email address or more info email me at ukbballfan78@yahoo.com.

Theres a local in Skagway named Dyea Dave who does a Yukon Tour and can take you anywhere you would like to go. He's meeting us in Frasure after our White Pass Railroad ride. He's mentioned the dog sled place, a gold mine, a local bakery for "Bannock", and even up to the snow fields if we decide to go there before returning us to our ship. He's been very prompt in replying to my emails since I made our reservation. Also, if it's foggy in the morning, you have the option of touring first and then riding the train back to the ship. If you want his email address or more info email me at ukbballfan78@yahoo.com.

What port is this for?? We have been on the Carnival Liberty, she is a pretty ship.

I have seen Dyea Dave mentioned in posts several times, but never actually took a minute to look at his site. It really sounds good...a lot cheaper than most, although I notice it doesnt "include" lunch, but for the difference he can find a five star restaurant!! I'm just kidding, but I think I am sold. He says minimum of 4 on his long tour. I am tempted to make the reservation and then after my sister decides what she wants to do...she already mentioned train....tell her I have this one nailed down. The waiting has been hard, but fun, now this last month is torture.....I am ready to decide and she is off skiing...aaaurrrrghhh!!

I have seen Dyea Dave mentioned in posts several times, but never actually took a minute to look at his site. It really sounds good...a lot cheaper than most, although I notice it doesnt "include" lunch, but for the difference he can find a five star restaurant!! I'm just kidding, but I think I am sold. He says minimum of 4 on his long tour. I am tempted to make the reservation and then after my sister decides what she wants to do...she already mentioned train....tell her I have this one nailed down. The waiting has been hard, but fun, now this last month is torture.....I am ready to decide and she is off skiing...aaaurrrrghhh!!

This doesn't include lunch, Musem, puppie camp, and sales tax, I for one don't like the smaller passenager van's they are too unstable and hard to get in and out of.

Stacym

We went to Alaksa in 2007 and are returning in June of 09 again. We love Alaska to say the least.

This tour is definitely worth going on because of all that you can see! I loved our tour bus driver. I mistakenly left my gloves on board the bus after getting off in Downtown Skagway with my husband for some shopping. THe driver found them and he made the trip back to our ship and left my gloves with guest services. I was most impressed with his thoughtfulness and his knowledge of Alaska and the areas we traveled in. He made our trip quite memorable. We were one of three couples under the age of 50 on our cruise on Princess so when we got off the ship for our excursions we did everything in our power to enjoy Alaska without the fellow travelers that were on our ship. Our bus driver understood how we felt and he made sure to really show us a good time.

I do hope my comments are helpful to you all. Now let's all go to Alaska and have a GOOD time!

CincinnatiGal

Funny, I'm 55 years old and my daughter tells me I wear her out and she can't keep up with me. Maybe I'll go on your tour next time!:D

Happy Cruising!:)

We did the 7 hour train and bus excursion last year with Chilkoot's and loved it.

In regards to the dog sled rides, it won't matter when you go because they are wheeled carts not sleds.

Susan in Anchorage :)

What about either Chilkoot or Dyea Dave with kids. The longer trips sound great, but I'm wondering if it will be 'boring' for my 9 and 7 year olds? They love animals and nature, but do you think they'll be bored touring this long, or would be we be better off doing the 3.5 hour train ride?

We booked the 9-hour rail/bus excursion to Carcross with Chilkoot Charters in 2007, but some tracks between Bennett and Carcross were washed out the day we were in Skagway. We ended up doing the 7-hour rail/bus trip to the Yukon, and it was WONDERFUL!

What about either Chilkoot or Dyea Dave with kids. The longer trips sound great, but I'm wondering if it will be 'boring' for my 9 and 7 year olds? They love animals and nature, but do you think they'll be bored touring this long, or would be we be better off doing the 3.5 hour train ride?

Check out these pics from the area you will be touring and decide for yourself if the kids would enjoy it.

http://explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

One advantage of going with Dyea Dave would be that he could customize the tour to do what you and the kids would find interesting, and you can go back to the ship whenever you want.

Archived