Carnival Tropicale ship??

OMG!! A bunch of my friends (21 of us) and I went cruising on her from New Orleans she was rocky out of the Mississippi River! Boy were we GREEN!! Got to Tampa and told my cabinmate if this is cruising I wish to go home now despite spending all my money!! But lucky one of the waiters told me "jus wait until we pass Cuba" YOUR be FINE!! Well pass Cuba I was JUST FINE and ready to party!! But three of my friends had to have shots and slept the firs 3 days of the cruise!! One of which will NEVER take a cruise into the "islands" just because he still remembers how sick he was on it (He was big and ask the ships nurse who much a shot and she stated $50 buck he threw down $100 and drop his pants so she can give one in each of his cheeks)!! Boy was she em·bar·rassed!! :eek::D We still laugh about that on our cruises together!! Still 6 of us that started cruising so many uears ago!! We have added more people and turned them onto cruising!!;)

During its last year in service under the Carnival flag, the Tropicale was the laughing stock of the cruise industry. After every cruise, reporters gathered at the Port of Tampa to interview disgruntled passengers. Toilets regularly backed up into the hallways, air conditioning quit working, crew members argued with passengers ... but Carnival rarely cancelled a sailing. They just patched it up and sent it out again. Sometime in 2000, I believe, the Miracle joined the fleet for the 7-night cruises, and the Inspiration was moved to the 4- and 5-nighters. From that point on, it's had several identities, and is currently doing runs in the southern Caribbean as the Ocean Dream. It was more like a nightmare when in Tampa!

The Miracle joined the fleet brand new in 2004. We took a cruise on her in April 2004 when she was only 6 weeks old. In Dec.2003 we took a 7 day on the Inspiration. The April cruise was a "patch up" gift from my husband because I had wanted to cruise the Grand Princess but our friends had wanted to go on the Inspiration. I had wanted to go on the GP because, as at that time, I had never cruised in a balcony stateroom and the GP had balcony rooms. Also our previous cruise to the Inspiration was the old Pacific Princess and I had fell in love with Princess. So hubby booked us a balcony on the Miracle as a compromise to appease me since our friends' chocie won out.

The Miracle was the last time we cruised Carnival. I have found I enjoy other lines better. We may cruise Carnival again though. I like that they offer a few Bermuda cruises from Charleston, Sc, and I also like their 8 day southern caribbean runs. However, Carnival will never be our first choice when booking a cruise, but as I said previously, the Tropicale was our first "real" cruise and she hooked us: so she will always have a special place in our heart.

I never sailed the Tropical, but heard good things about her. I did sail on the Holiday and Celbration. Both were good ships and easy to navigate the layout.

We sailed the Tropical on our 6th cruise, but we had already sailed the Holiday and could tell that it had been the prototype for the Holiday, Celebration and Jubilee.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked on the Celebration, Festivale & Tropicale in 92/93 as the Video Diary guy. I had a blast!! It was a lot of long hours, but it was very much a "work hard, play hard environment". If anybody might have picture or stories from the cruise, i'd love to hear from you!

I sailed on the Tropicale in 1986. It was my first solo cruise. I was in college and invited 5 of my best girl friends from my college fraternity to come down and party with me on the ship before it left for Mexico. Yes, that's when you come have visitors on board to see you off. We all had a blast. I paid $899 for an outside cabin share for a Jan sailing. This was Carnivals first new ship build. Prior to that Carnival did not have the best reputation as all their ships were considered old. Anyway...it was a great cruise. Food was great and I remember it had one of the most lavish midnight buffets I'd ever seem.

• 1 month later...

My first cruise ship was Tropicale, sailing out of San Juan in spring, 1990. I went with my mom and we had a great time.

Fast forward to 2008 and Celebrity Summit, where I was again cruising with my mom and other family members. Shortly after Summit docked at Grenada, a small, white cruise ship came alongside the other side of the finger pier, Ocean Breeze. The ship was obviously older, but looked to be kept in good shape. Something about it looked familiar...sure enough, as we disembarked and walked the pier between the two ships, I could make out the old name of Ocean Breeze. I was looking at my first cruise ship, Tropicale!

Hard to believe that she was considered LARGE in her day, even Summit dwarfed her in Grenada!

• 5 months later...

My very first cruise was in October 1993, an 11-day cruise of the Panama Canal and Southern Caribbean ports on board the Carnival "Fun Ship", Tropicale. Even then, the ship looked a bit dated and I remember questioning my parents as to why we weren't booked on one of the newer and bigger cruise ships that I'd seen or read about :p

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived