Is she that bad?

cruisincorgi

We had a little cheap room, in the very front of the ship, and had some rough seas, boy was that a wild ride! I wish that the beds had seat belts!

I know someone who specifically booked a suite up front because they like a wild ride.:p:D

just booked last week. Leaving on the 24th of January. This will be our second crusie on the Majesty. The last time was 4 years ago. I loved the Majesty. I can find my way around. Looking forward to this cruise on the Majesty. Wonder if the cruise director some speak of Ered (i think) will be on the cruise leaving the 24th? Sounds like he was a great cruise director.

Cant wait to play the slots..........

You asked for feedback, and at the risk of sounding like a spoil-sport, I will be another perhaps more negative responder I suppose. DH and I went on this ship to Bermuda last July. We anticipated a relaxed cruise without the kids, which we have done before on another cruise line. We are experienced at cruising with and without kids, so I do have comparisons. Though this was our first time with NCL, we did not have what would be considered unreasonable expectations. Yes, we knew the ship was small and "tired", which we have experienced before, but size of the ship should not affect service. We were continually disappointed in our experience. This was a return trip to Bermuda for us, and honestly if it were not for the beautiful destination, the trip would have been near awful. Our cabin steward was the only one which we felt "earned" his tips that week - and we hardly saw him at all! As an earlier poster stated, we also encountered rude staff, couldn't get reservations for Pasta Cafe more than 24 hours in advance each day, rarely saw food readily available at the pizza/burger buffet, etc. We did the jazz brunch (first time slot when it opened) and waited an HOUR for our omelets and tenderloin - I timed it no kidding - only to be served with the incorrect omelet THREE times. I could go on and on. On the last sea day (which was gorgeous weather with no wind), the crew began stacking all the deck lounge chairs at 5PM. We were told we had to be out of ours before 6 - because HIS shift was over and they NEEDED to put the chairs away. Not having said anything to other passengers about our experiences during the week, we did end up engaging in conversations with a few folks on the deck that afternoon (who hadn't been pushed out of their chairs yet), who shared with us that they had experienced a very poor cruise indeed. At debarkation, we stood in line with yet another couple who had been on 7 other NCL cruises (plus other cruise lines too) and had the worst experience on the Majesty - so bad that they would not be cruising with NCL again if another cruise line option for their destination exists. Yes, we did politely express some of our concerns and frustrations with "customer service" desk. The only thing they did was give us one bottle of wine at dinner one night - from the cheap wine list. This type of gesture does not begin to make up for everything we experienced, but I guess considering everything else, we didn't really expect much of an apology either. We never did ask the auto gratuity to be changed, though we feel we would have been within our rights to do so. When we returned and received an email to provide feedback, we just didn't want to deal with it - we wanted it to be over. But I shall end this by saying - now several months later we are actually considering this ship again this year - the price, port, and schedule work for us, because we are absolutely in love with Bermuda. If we return to Bermuda on NCL Majesty, it will only be as a means of our transportation, and hotel room. So if we have virtually no expectations, then we will have virtually no disappointments... Yes the ship is old and small, but that's just what it is. I suppose it can't be all bad if we are willing to set foot on her again.

I agree that it's not that bad or you wouldn't consider sailing her again. I hope your next experience will be the opposite and you will have the wonderful service we did. Glad to hear you're willing to give it another chance.

Have a wonderful time. :D

I am booked on the Majesty in March. I must say, after reading some reviews I'm scared to go on this ship. Can someone please give an objective review. I'd like to hear from people who like this ship as well as from those wwho have not liked sailing her. Thank you

I have been on NCL Dawn two times, NCL spirit one time, Crown Princess, and my recent was the Majesty and it was my favorite, best cruise. I loved it and its really not a bad ship, I want to sail on her again and it would be my first choice over the others. It is an older ship, and it depends on what you like.I totally enjoyed myself on this ship. It doesnt matter how old the ship is, it's the service that makes me want to go back. Do you like less crowds?I never had to wait for diner. I loved all the food and the service was much better than most of the other ships. I was on deck 7 forward and it was so quiet , I slept great. I loved deck 7 prom. deck because the room was bigger than the other oceanviews and I can go out on the deck every morning in my bath robe, just like being on a balcony....watching the sun come up. It was very relaxing.

Our experience, after 14 cruises, including NCL, RCI, Carnival, Celebrity and others, is that this ship is an excellent value. If you want fancier ships you can certainly find fancier ships (and pay for them) , but I'm in charge of a family trip on the Majesty in February, 2009 (our family of 4 sailed on her last February) - we have 24 people traveling this time. Most of these folks are paying less than $65 per person per day for CC ocean view cabin (for 4) during a school vacation week! The 8D/7N cruise comes to less than $1800 for 4 people (after the oil surcharge is credited back as an OBC). It would be hard to find a nice hotel and feed a family of 4 for $260 a day at the level of food you'll find on the ship (though not the fanciest haute cuisine, it's far better than most family-fare restaurants in the states) - not to mention all the other benefits cf cruising. In a very competitive industry, if this ship was truly bad it would be taken out of service in a hurry. I wouldn't give it 5 stars as the most amazing cruise ship afloat, but I would give it very high marks as a great vacation choice for a very reasonable price. My two cents.

Hello to all those New Year's Eve travelers who shared our cruise on the Majesty last week! We really lucked out with wonderful weather! I totally enjoyed the relaxing last morning with no rush to disembark! This was our 3rd cruise on the Majesty. Previous posters have referred to the Majesty as a tired old lady and I'd have to agree. The staff ranged from excellent to poor, which was quite different from our 2nd experience in April 2007. I do like the smaller ship feel and the comfort of familiar staff. However, some staff seemed very ill prepared for the challenge of serving large numbers of people at peak meal times. The service at the upper deck meal stations at breakfast and lunch was terrible. The dining rooms were better, but service seemed to slip dramatically over the last two days of the cruise. I will say we had an excellent dinner at 7 Seas on the last night of our cruise. Our cabin steward was very nice, but didn't seem to know how to get ice and told us we needed to wait for our turn down service. The entertainment was lots of fun and we really enjoyed seeing the production of "Fountains" once again. It's one of those skits that seems funnier even when you know what to expect! Overall, Majesty is a great cruise if you are able to snag one of the budget rates that are widely advertized. I would move to another ship if you are paying close to full fare.

We cruised Majesty last summer to Bermuda and enjoyed it because we were aware of what kind of ship she is. If you are into all the bells and whistles of the new ships, you will be disappointed. What she is: an older, clean, small ship with a wonderfully attentive staff. The food we found to be good to outstanding (do yourself a favor and eat at Le Bistro at least once). We had an outside room; however, it was very small (about 102 sq. feet). With the beds pushed together there was not much room. My biggest suggestion would be to upgrade on this ship. The itinerary is wonderful allowing 2 1/2 days in Bermuda. Deck chairs are hard to come by the first day and then it seems to get easier to get a chair. We never waited more than 10 minutes to eat dinner (love Freestyle) and the one night we had to wait (lobster night) they passed out glasses of champagne. There are always drink specials going on and the wait staff at the pools and on deck in the evenings are great! I am sure you will have a great time!

This will be our second time on majesty.we went last march,and will be going this spring again.I love this ship.I sailed on the holiday out of Alabama in 07 and the trip to charleston was so much closer for me.The chilled soups are a must:pblack cherry yum!! these are served in main dining and the food was really good.I really enjoyed the waffle station near pool.there were many types of fruits,nuts ,whipped cream and various syrups to go along with the waffles.awesome option !!!!Beds were really comfy .My only complaint was the bedspread.I removed them from my bed like two times and they stopped putting it on and it worked out great for me.The linens were really fresh and clean and just looked neat without it.chocolate mousse at night before retiring in our stateroom was a must.lol.my daughter and I would call room service for this and it is sooo good.ummm didnt try italian dining room.or lebistro.dining room breakfast was also great.lobster night was delish.we went to all the shows they were great.bands were great.hope this helps!!!!:cool:

Our experience, after 14 cruises, including NCL, RCI, Carnival, Celebrity and others, is that this ship is an excellent value. If you want fancier ships you can certainly find fancier ships (and pay for them) , but I'm in charge of a family trip on the Majesty in February, 2009 (our family of 4 sailed on her last February) - we have 24 people traveling this time. Most of these folks are paying less than $65 per person per day for CC ocean view cabin (for 4) during a school vacation week! The 8D/7N cruise comes to less than $1800 for 4 people (after the oil surcharge is credited back as an OBC). It would be hard to find a nice hotel and feed a family of 4 for $260 a day at the level of food you'll find on the ship (though not the fanciest haute cuisine, it's far better than most family-fare restaurants in the states) - not to mention all the other benefits cf cruising. In a very competitive industry, if this ship was truly bad it would be taken out of service in a hurry. I wouldn't give it 5 stars as the most amazing cruise ship afloat, but I would give it very high marks as a great vacation choice for a very reasonable price. My two cents.

I totally agree with you vp1. My wife and I were on the same Majesty cruise with you last year and it was great. We are Also going on The Feb. school vacation cruise again this year 2/14/09 out Charleston no kids but my wife is a school teacher. Have a save trip down, we'll see on board.

Archived