What do you enjoy about cruising Alaska?

Hellolost

I am going on my first cruise to Alaska in July of this year. I have been reading these forums and getting excited. But I wanted a more specific list of why people enjoy cruising Alaska. What do you look forward to? What makes Alaska a good place to go?

I am all ready excited but I am sure ready to get more excited lol.

I look forward to your replies!!

We sailed the Inside Passage in September. What suprised me (and I enjoyed the most) was how peaceful life seemed.

Cruising by the mountains and low hanging clouds

Changing color of the water

How relaxed the passangers and crew were--everyone was amazed by the scenery.

Watching football, drinking some beer, talking with locals about life in Ketchikan and the Pow-Wow in Albuquerque

The awe of Glacier Bay!!!

Enjoying Skagway on a quiet Sunday morning--I had my town walking map--Reminded me of Telluride, but on the water--just beautiful!

Eating Fish chowder at the Hanger in Juneau.

These are just a few great memories...

For me, it's about the added bonus of fantastic scenic sailing along with interesting- different and all worthwhile ports (you know the Caribbean- always seems to have at least one crappy port thrown in. I'm bored on sea days as well :) )

Alaska has almost a magical feel to it - atleast for us. We've been twice and will go again in 2010. The scenery is breathtaking, the atmosphere in the beautiful little port towns like Sitka are so peaceful and calming. And the wildlife!!!! Wow!! Seeing a humpback surface right next to our boat on a whale watch in Juneau was just amazing! You could almost reach out and touch it!! Seeing eagles soaring overhead, looking at the brilliantly colored starfish (lavender, pale yellow, aqua blue - really!!!!) as you walk off the gangway of your ship, catching a glimpse of spouts and tails while sailing from port to port, watching a brown bear on the shore looking for lunch after his long winter sleep, bobbing sea otters with their young on their bellies all wrapped up in kelp to anchor themselves while napping.....sigh....I could go on and on. All those majestic mountains, glorious sea, and wilderness everywhere - for those who love nature and the great outdoors - Alaska just feels like home. Can't wait to go back!:p

Depending on your route......we sailed in mid to late Aug. n 2007. We saw whales from our ship (orcas and humpbacks) sailing towards Icy Strait Point and away from it also. If Icy Strait Point is one your ports, PLEASE check into a local whale watch excursion. We sailed with Floyd of F.I.S.H.E.S......Excellent 3 hour excursion.....great whale sightings and he has a hydrophone under water so you can hear them singing. Truly magical :D it was one of many highlights of our trip!! There are also a couple other private boats as well.

well i must say we were leary about going to alaska, i was thinking COLD... boring,whatever... and my husband who is samoan, was really not into going, but i must say it was really amazing,

the wildlife, the scenery, the crisp clean air..

not to mention the food..

the whole cruise was soo relaxing, its not like the typical mexico,caribbean party party type crowd, alot of families, just there to enjoy, alot of friendly people,etc...

it was truely amazing to see that part of the world. very magnificant ..

Depending on your route......we sailed in mid to late Aug. n 2007. We saw whales from our ship (orcas and humpbacks) sailing towards Icy Strait Point and away from it also. If Icy Strait Point is one your ports, PLEASE check into a local whale watch excursion. We sailed with Floyd of F.I.S.H.E.S......Excellent 3 hour excursion.....great whale sightings and he has a hydrophone under water so you can hear them singing. Truly magical :D it was one of many highlights of our trip!! There are also a couple other private boats as well.

I couldn't agree more about Icy Strait Point and F.I.S.H.E.S. whale watch tour. Here are some photos of Icy Strait Point and some taken while on the whale watch.

http://www.familytravelfun.com/icy-strait-point-alaska.html

http://www.familytravelfun.com/fishes-whale-watch-tour-icy-strait-point.html

I couldn't agree more about Icy Strait Point and F.I.S.H.E.S. whale watch tour. Here are some photos of Icy Strait Point and some taken while on the whale watch.

http://www.familytravelfun.com/icy-strait-point-alaska.html

http://www.familytravelfun.com/fishes-whale-watch-tour-icy-strait-point.html

Hi,

I saw on a Hubbard Glacier thread that you'll be on our June 12, '09 Radiance cruise. That led me to this site on FISHES. From your pictures, it looks like we'll have a good time with Floyd and FISHES . Hope the weather is good. My wife and I signed up for their 8-11AM tour. We've got a thread going for Meet & Mingle if you would like to join us. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=750464

Bruce

Archived