10:15 AM Flight from FLL

RET_REF

Even though the airport is very close to the port, I would seriously doubt it. The ship may be back in port at 7:00am there's no guarantee that customs will clear the ship for disembarkation right away. I think you are cutting it too close for comfort.

10:15, you'll be fine. The ships actually start arriving into port at 3am, the last is usually at the dock by 6am. Customs boards the first arriving ship at 4am. Of course anything can happen to any cruiseship to delay it's arrival but the odds are in your favor. ;)

//////

If your ship offers self disembarkation (carry off your own luggage), you may also want to do that.

Hi All, I called Princess Cruises after reading your comments, and they informed me that they do offer self disembarkation. So it looks like we'll take of advantage of it, and hopefully US Customs will also cooperate. IF so, then we should be able to get to the airport in time. The flight is the only Non-stop back to our home that day that's why I booked the flight and also got a good fare on it as well. We'll hit the ground running as they say! Thanks so much for the info!

• 3 months later...
Let us know on this thread how you made out.]

Bequia, just wanted to let you know that we got to the airport at 8:15 AM for our 10:15 Flight. It was touch and go at first as there were an extremely large group of walk-offs and those who just happened to jump the line to disembark the ship ahead of their color time. At one point we waited nearly 35 minutes in a line that moved two steps at a time from the time the walk-offs were called over a two-way radio to disembark. The walk-off people in line were growing very impatient to say the least. However, once inside the terminal building we made it through customs in about 5 minutes. Then to the taxi stand and it was off to the airport. It took about 20 minutes to check-in and go through security. We then had ~ 60 minute wait to board the plane enough for some nap time. It can be a little nerve racking, but it is doable! Thanks for your advice!

Thanks for reporting back. I have a pre-noon departure and am a little concerned. Its nice to hear what happened in your case. Since there's nothing I can do about the flight (I got a great deal), this gives some piece of mind.

The fine print on your tickets probably advised you to not do so until noon.

There are many people who will advise you to not to do it because it's too risky, and then there are others who will insist you can pull it off.

Barring no immigration snaggles, things that delay the ship..and any airport issues I would say "probably, but don't hold your breath"

In the end, if "common sense makes sense, seek no other sense."

If you miss the plane, it'd sure be a horrible way to end a vacation.

On our recent cruise on the Westerdam, we opted for the Express Disembarkment, carrying off our own luggage. Our flight was at 11:10 a.m. There were 6 ships in port that morning. Luckily, we arrived at Port Everglades on time and there were no problems with immigration. We disembarked at 7:45 a.m. and checked-in at the airport and thru security by 8:30 a.m. We still had 2 1/2 hours to spare.

Although I normally would not select a flight this early, we live on the west coast and the kids needed to be back in school the following day. (It's all day flying.) Flights before noon are possible, if there are no problems. We were lucky.

Archived