Tell me about Splendour of the Seas

Jamara

We have always sailed with Celebrity but today got such a good offer on Splendour we booked the transatlantic crossing in April.

I have read a lot about the ship through various reviews but feel more confused as there are so many diverse opinions.

Can anyone give me the real lowdown on the food, service and cabin comfort? We know there will be differences in the two lines but my DH and I go with an open mind and great attitude.

Having been on the Voyager the previous year, I was a bit concerned we would find the Splendour lacking. I couldn't have been more wrong. We sailed a 5-day just this past April and had a wonderful cruise. She'd been very recently refurbished and the only place I saw any wear was some rust in the corners of the balcony.

As for the cabin, I'm going to be a little bit biased here. I'd booked my first outside cabin ever and was looking forward to the experience of having a window. We found out on check-in that we'd been unexpectedly upgraded to a balcony ... and it put a special sparkle on the entire trip! I don't suppose I can ever book anything but a balcony from now on.

Our cabin steward was professional, thorough, and pleasant. He was, however, not especially personable. He did his job and disappeared ... in fact, I think he was invisible, as I rarely saw him. I tipped him quite well, as I value the top-notch job he did ... but it would have enhanced the experience if we could have engaged in the occasional banter I've experienced on other cruises.

The food was up to my standards ... but I'm not a big foodie, so I'm easy to please. We had a wonderful dining room experience ... both as far as tablemates and service provided. Did most of the breakfasts and lunches in the Windjammer ... I love a big breakfast (I got hooked on the omelet station) and a light lunch (great deli trays). If you're looking for fancy cuisine, you're likely to be disappointed. The only disappointment I had was that I never had a meal where they served cheese blintzes for dessert ... and when you find those -- they are to die for.

The entertainment was good ... but here's where you really notice the difference between this class ship and the Voyager. The Voyager had fabulous shows. The shows are the Splendour were good ... but not 'fabulous'.

The last point I'd like to insert concerns overall ambiance. Whoever controlled the decor design on the Splendour had impecable taste. Such class and elegance. It was the most incredible experience to be surrounded by so much elegance and beauty for 5 days. The Voyager class ships are packed with art and incredible design elements ... but there's a jarring feeling of being transplanted from Egypt to Rome to Main Street USA to Las Vegas, etc rather abruptly as you move from one area to another. They go out of their way to WOW you ... all 5 or 6 different interior designers who must have been involved. And it tends to overload the senses. The Splendour left me with more of a relaxed feeling as I wandered the corridors and the decks.

Hope this helps.

emeraldcity

I totally agree with the decor and ambiance of the Splendour. We sailed on her in her first year of sailing and think she is one of the prettiest and most elegant ships we have sailed so far. My favorite is the ceiling to floor 2 level glass that is in the dining room. It creates such an open feeling.

Have not sailed Radiance class but am looking forward to Jewel to make a comparison to Splendour.

I would not hesitate to sail on Splendour.

Emmy

Archived