Why switch to MSC?

Adkmom

My family and a group of our CC friends have had great experiences with NCL however in the past year we have traveled separately on 3 different NCL ships and found them lacking in the following areas:customer service, food quality, diversity of activity times, shore excursions and overall atmosphere. They also seem to charge extra for well everything extra. Why should we consider switching to MSC Cruise lines will they offer us a better experience for the price?

I have not sailed MSC but going from these boards.. hell no. I would reccomend switiching to Holland America, Princess, Royal Caribbean International, the Cunard Line and Celebrity but not Costa or MSC. MSC seems to give a very inconsistant cruise product.

I would also consider Carnival for shorter cruises.

From what I've read and been reading, it seems like Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are consistent with all they proclaim to offer. You just have to do your research according to what your priorities are. There is no ship perfect for everyone, {sigh}.

Lots of people have issues with the food and service. It's European style where they stay in the background and wait on you indicating that you want them, rather than the US rush up to you style service. many US passengers interpret this as rude or bad. Many europeans find the US style too pushy and too in your face - neither is right or wrong. So that is something to be aware of. If it is more activities you are looking for them I'd say forget MSC. it's one of the reasons I like them , but it is not action packed with constant activity (and the noise that goes with it), it's quieter and more relaxed (it's the opposite of carnival). They dont charge extra for much especially in the caribbean and if you have kids under 17 they sail free as long as you have 2 adults in the cabin paying the adult fare. So all in all reasonably priced.

I agree with AmoMondo about MSC. I've only been on the Lirica but did enjoy it and we are cruising on the Lirica agin this year. Both cruises Caribbean.

One of the things I really liked about MSC was the lack of announcements, the announcements that they do have are few and not the loud ones of other lines.

Here is a question about the shows and entertainment.

I am sailing on the Lirica in another month and I have

the late seating (Caribbean), what time are the shows?

is it after the second seating or before?

are there shows nightly on the 10 day cruise?

My family and a group of our CC friends have had great experiences with NCL however in the past year we have traveled separately on 3 different NCL ships and found them lacking in the following areas:customer service, food quality, diversity of activity times, shore excursions and overall atmosphere. They also seem to charge extra for well everything extra. Why should we consider switching to MSC Cruise lines will they offer us a better experience for the price?

Never been on NCL, so can't say anything about them. MSC provided comparable service to Carnival & Royal Carib. Their "extra" charges aren't at all bad. I did a couple of excursions, they were handled well. Itinerary on the 10-day Eastern Carib was very nice. Food quality okay to usually good to occasionally quite good. Entertainment was diverse, but weighted more towards classical than other lines; after all it's Italian, so you're going to get an Italian tenor. However even Carnival had a nice classical trio.

Here is a question about the shows and entertainment.

I am sailing on the Lirica in another month and I have

the late seating (Caribbean), what time are the shows?

is it after the second seating or before?

are there shows nightly on the 10 day cruise?

Sailed on Lirica a year ago. Don't have my materials in front of me, but I think the show schedule juggles a bit over the 10 days depending on time in port, etc. Generally I recall being able to go to the main show after the late seating; believe late show was 10 PM; on a day or two you would see the show before dinner. Show lasts about 40-45 min, no live band, although we had some live instrumentalists. Singers, dancers, and several acrobat-juggler-Cirque du Soleil type things, typically pretty good. Other random acts in the various lounge areas. Believe there was a nightly show every or virtually every day.

10-day cruise was nice....

Thank you for all the info so far. I was attracted to MSC because of their nice 10 day itineraries in the Caribbean and the possibility of free passage for my children. But I have read that they have some strange quirks like no water at meals and lack of drink stations. Does any one know how the pre teen programs are.

Archived