carmania??

Recently found a whole set of Carmania memorabalia that was given to me by my aunt. She and my uncle took a 10 day Christmas/New Years cruise out of Florida in the early '60's. I have menus, daily programs, cruise news, entertainments programs, ship's roster, invites to cocktail parties (they travelled first class). Wonderful reading. The ship was in its light green years then. Unfortunately, only one picture taken of them and some friends on deck is included. I would have liked to see more of the ship.

The literature provides an interesting contrast/comparison between cruising then and now. Some things have really changed (our menus have almost NO selections and fewer courses compared to back then) and some things that never do change (bingo, selling anything that cruisers will buy.....)

• 4 months later...

I've just stumbled across this thread (as one does), and realised that I went on board it whilst it was waiting for a refit in England before it became the Leonid Sobinov.

It was a real ghost ship at that time as there was no-one on board apart from an ocassional security guy, so we were able to roam the public areas of the ship more or less at will (we also got to the bridge etc). It was all above board as my uncle worked in the ship yard at that time. I thought that she then went off to be scrapped, it wasn't until reading this thread that I realised that she became a Russian liner.

• 10 years later...

I have just seen this. I sailed on the Carmania out of Southampton I think in 1968 as an eight year old. I know we visited Gibraltar and Lisbon and also that we were hit mid ships by an oil tanker as we were in a port eating dinner and we weren't able to visit Tunisia. Anyone else on that cruise?

If you're interested in the complete histories of the Cunard Canadian liners Saxonia, Ivernia, Carinthia and Sylvania (Saxonia and Ivernia were revamped as cruise ships when the Canadian trade fell off in the early 1960's and became Franconia and Carmania) you will love this book:

Saxonia.gifhttp://www.catskill.net/purple/carmani2.htm

PS- You will LOVE the name of the publishing house!