Antarctica photo tips (Nikon D60)

Jade13

We are leaving in a couple of weeks. I have a D60 (which I used in the Med but still not comfortable with it unless on auto as other pictures did not turn out and I am used to 35mm and a manual camera with Aperature priority)

and want to know if there is a link on this site for tips on "snow" photos? I think there was a "lesson". I have not been on this site in over 6 months.

Also, my D60 did not come with the Bayonet Lens Hood for the D60 18-55mm (only for the 55mm-200mm). Is this something I should use for snow? I also see these photo coaches on these ships with some type of plastic over the back of their SLR. What are they using and how did they make it?

Lens Hood - I usually order from B&H and they are out of part HB-45 Bayonet Lens Hood 18-55mm Mfr 4941/BH NIHB45 for $15.95. Is there a generic they have in stock as I would like to place an order by tomorrow am.

SanDisk Extreme III SDHC 4GIG - Additionally, I need more memory as I have still not printed my Med photos. Is the SanDisk Extreme III SDHC still the way to go? I like the 4gig becaue I can back it up on one DVD. They are $34.95 each (at B&H now) and I was going to get 3 cards.

EN-EL9 - Rechargable Nikon Lithium Battery. i have two but told to get a third as they die quickly in the snow.

Last Q: Does anyone make a disposable SLR underwater camera? We may go in the water in Antarctica but going rafting at Igauzu falls. I would want a cheap waterproof camera with about 27 photos would be fine. I usually just get a 35mm from fuji but I hate dealing with the airport x ray machines.

Thanks!

We are leaving in a couple of weeks. I have a D60 (which I used in the Med but still not comfortable with it unless on auto as other pictures did not turn out and I am used to 35mm and a manual camera with Aperature priority)

and want to know if there is a link on this site for tips on "snow" photos? I think there was a "lesson". I have not been on this site in over 6 months.

Overexpose (+/- button) by 1-1½ stops in very white conditions. Your meter tries for an average of medium gray and will make bright white show look gray and muddy with non-snow details underexposed.

Also, my D60 did not come with the Bayonet Lens Hood for the D60 18-55mm (only for the 55mm-200mm). Is this something I should use for snow? I also see these photo coaches on these ships with some type of plastic over the back of their SLR. What are they using and how did they make it?

If you're ordering from B&H, get a pack of OpTech rain jackets for bad weather. They're only a few bucks apiece and work well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469774-REG/Op_Tech_USA_9001132_18_RainSleeve_Set_of.html

Lens Hood - I usually order from B&H and they are out of part HB-45 Bayonet Lens Hood 18-55mm Mfr 4941/BH NIHB45 for $15.95. Is there a generic they have in stock as I would like to place an order by tomorrow am.

SanDisk Extreme III SDHC 4GIG - Additionally, I need more memory as I have still not printed my Med photos. Is the SanDisk Extreme III SDHC still the way to go? I like the 4gig becaue I can back it up on one DVD. They are $34.95 each (at B&H now) and I was going to get 3 cards.

Generic hoods are ok. Get a rubber one if they offer it. They are good for pressing up against windows to eliminate reflections.

Extreme III...very good. Sorry to say that you missed an incredible sale just before Christmas...I picked up three 8GB Extreme III CF cards for $90...with a $70 rebate on top of that!

EN-EL9 - Rechargable Nikon Lithium Battery. i have two but told to get a third as they die quickly in the snow.

LiIon batteries will die sooner in cold climes, so keep your spares in an inside pocket to keep them warm until you need them. Also, carry a few gallon-sized ZipLock bags to put your camera in before you come in from the cold. That way the condensation will form on the bag until the camera warms up.

Last Q: Does anyone make a disposable SLR underwater camera? We may go in the water in Antarctica but going rafting at Igauzu falls. I would want a cheap waterproof camera with about 27 photos would be fine. I usually just get a 35mm from fuji but I hate dealing with the airport x ray machines.

Thanks!

Disposable underwater SLR??? Must be a typo!:eek: Any SLR becomes disposable if you put it in water!:D

Vivitar makes cheap underwater digital cameras. Here's a link to one that is getting some decent reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Vivitar-VIVICAM-6200W-MegaPixel-Underwater-Digital/dp/B000QCI65I/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232291490&sr=8-1

If it looks like the SeaLife Reef Master that costs twice as much, there's a reason...Vivitar makes the Reef master!

Enjoy you trip (voice dripping with envy!)

Dave

Disposable underwater SLR??? Must be a typo!:eek: Any SLR becomes disposable if you put it in water!:D

Vivitar makes cheap underwater digital cameras. Here's a link to one that is getting some decent reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Vivitar-VIVICAM-6200W-MegaPixel-Underwater-Digital/dp/B000QCI65I/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232291490&sr=8-1

If it looks like the SeaLife Reef Master that costs twice as much, there's a reason...Vivitar makes the Reef master!

Dave

I was looking for something cheap like $25.00. I meant to say disposable that could wet while rafting.

I was looking for something cheap like $25.00. I meant to say disposable that could wet while rafting.

Maybe I'll just get a Fujifilm 800 waterproof disposable for $8.99. I know the cost to print will be at least $12.00, but fun to get some pics while rafting etc.

Overexpose (+/- button) by 1-1½ stops in very white conditions. Your meter tries for an average of medium gray and will make bright white show look gray and muddy with non-snow details underexposed.

If you're ordering from B&H, get a pack of OpTech rain jackets for bad weather. They're only a few bucks apiece and work well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469774-REG/Op_Tech_USA_9001132_18_RainSleeve_Set_of.html

Generic hoods are ok. Get a rubber one if they offer it. They are good for pressing up against windows to eliminate reflections.

Extreme III...very good. Sorry to say that you missed an incredible sale just before Christmas...I picked up three 8GB Extreme III CF cards for $90...with a $70 rebate on top of that!

LiIon batteries will die sooner in cold climes, so keep your spares in an inside pocket to keep them warm until you need them. Also, carry a few gallon-sized ZipLock bags to put your camera in before you come in from the cold. That way the condensation will form on the bag until the camera warms up.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks! I ordered the additional battery, Extreme III 4GIG x 3 (I always miss the specials but they are $50.00 each at Best Buy), 2GB XD for my FujiFilm camera, the Op tech Rain Coat (Thanks for the help!) and the B+W 52mm screw-In Rubber Lens Hood for $17.95. The Rep at B&H really recommended the Nikon Bayonet since it is made for the camera but they are out (and no used 52mm hoods) and all they had was this rubber one by B+H. I hope it is OK?

BWLHWA52 1.00 52mm Screw-In Rubber Wide Angle Lens Hood #920

17.95 17.95

Dave,

Thanks! I ordered the additional battery, Extreme III 4GIG x 3 (I always miss the specials but they are $50.00 each at Best Buy), 2GB XD for my FujiFilm camera, the Op tech Rain Coat (Thanks for the help!) and the B+W 52mm screw-In Rubber Lens Hood for $17.95. The Rep at B&H really recommended the Nikon Bayonet since it is made for the camera but they are out (and no used 52mm hoods) and all they had was this rubber one by B+H. I hope it is OK?

BWLHWA52 1.00 52mm Screw-In Rubber Wide Angle Lens Hood #920

17.95 17.95

Screw-ins are a bit of a pain to take on and off, but since they usually collapse, you should seldom have to remove it. No worries.

Dave

I assume from your post that you will be doing landings which means that the camera can get wet on the Zodiac. Go to your nearest outdoor store and buy a small kayak dry bag. When you are on the Zodiac, keep the camera in the dry bag.

You also have not said anything about a backup camera. Considering what the trip is costing you and that it will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I would buy a good P&S as a backup. Don't forget the drybag for the backup also.

DON

I assume from your post that you will be doing landings which means that the camera can get wet on the Zodiac. Go to your nearest outdoor store and buy a small kayak dry bag. When you are on the Zodiac, keep the camera in the dry bag.

You also have not said anything about a backup camera. Considering what the trip is costing you and that it will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I would buy a good P&S as a backup. Don't forget the drybag for the backup also.

DON

Don,

Thanks.

I have a great point and shoot. I use a Fujifilm F30 and the photos are great, plus it goes up to ISO 3200. I also bought an extra card for that camera as well. Since we hope to go rafting in Brazil before Antarctica, I bought a small Aqua Pac that fits the P&S, our cell phones and passports. I did not think about the bigger camera but the Lowepro Slingback has a "hood". Anything more wet than that we will all be in trouble.

Don, were you on Explorer II/Minerva? I can't believe I'm almost off after almost two years of planning.

Don,

Thanks.

I have a great point and shoot. I use a Fujifilm F30 and the photos are great, plus it goes up to ISO 3200. I also bought an extra card for that camera as well. Since we hope to go rafting in Brazil before Antarctica, I bought a small Aqua Pac that fits the P&S, our cell phones and passports. I did not think about the bigger camera but the Lowepro Slingback has a "hood". Anything more wet than that we will all be in trouble.

Don, were you on Explorer II/Minerva? I can't believe I'm almost off after almost two years of planning.

I was on the Nordkapp. I would still take a small dry bag for the dSLR. They fold into your pocket when you are not using them and only cost maybe $20. Better safe than sorry.

DON

...Is this something I should use for snow? I also see these photo coaches on these ships with some type of plastic over the back of their SLR. What are they using and how did they make it?

...Thanks!

Hi Jade13. We were there last January on the Marco Polo and I got a lot of decent photos just with my P&S Canon Powershot S2. No hood lens and simply used a 1 gallon zip lock bag to protect my camera when we on the zodiacs to and from the ship. Here's my Antarctica Gallery:

Phil

260904162_wwaMv-L.jpg

Hi Jade13. We were there last January on the Marco Polo and I got a lot of decent photos just with my P&S Canon Powershot S2. No hood lens and simply used a 1 gallon zip lock bag to protect my camera when we on the zodiacs to and from the ship. Here's my Antarctica Gallery:

Phil

260904162_wwaMv-L.jpg

Phil, these are really nice! Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Dave,

UPS never delivered my package (said they left it last Tuesday and UPS never leaves anything without a signature)). The bad news is that BH made me charge the order again while they wait for the insurance claim. The good news is that the Extreme III 4gigs are on Sale for $27.35, so I ordered another one and my order was still less and they gave me the shipping for free. This time delivery is coming to my office.

Four (4) gigs x 4 should be enough for about 6,000 photos, correct? Actually, I have a 4gig in the camera now and I should be able to print and back-up what I need this week and clear that one too, so will have five (5) 4 gigs without removing the other photos from several disks where I have just not had time to print.

Four (4) gigs x 4 should be enough for about 6,000 photos, correct? Actually, I have a 4gig in the camera now and I should be able to print and back-up what I need this week and clear that one too, so will have five (5) 4 gigs without removing the other photos from several disks where I have just not had time to print.

Take a look at my article on resolution and compression. At large/fine, you shouldn't be able to get more than around 500-600 images on a 4GB card.

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/VivaLaResolution.htm

Just because the manual says you can get 1500 images per GB, make sure you know what you're giving up to get that capacity! I assume you won't be doing Antarctica annually...right?:eek:

If you have specific questions after reading the article, feel free to post them.

Dave

Archived